Author Topic: "Blood and Roses" and DS  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
"Blood and Roses" and DS
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:24:07 PM »
Fans, towards the end of a somewhat stressful weekend, I felt in need of a treat, and pulled out my ageing (getting on to 15 years old now) VHS of Roger Vadim's film "Blood and Roses" (originally titled in French, "Et mourir de plaisir"--To die of pleasure!).  I'd forgotten just how many of the elements we know and love in DS were present in this early 1960s feature film.  A family curse, a resemblance to a mysterious portrait, a costume ball, a mystical melody that heralds the appearance of the vampire, the withering of a rose as a sign of the vampire's touch, a symbol-laden prophetic dream (brilliantly filmed by cinematographer Claude Renoir), 18th century personalities impinging on a 20th century setting, and, most strikingly, [spoiler]the appearance of a bloodstained white dress in a mirror, a sequence restaged in the 1795 storyline in the scenes where Angelique was preparing for her wedding to Barnabas.[/spoiler]
Maddeningly, the movie appears to be unavailable in any format.  The Paramount VHS release is the US theatrical print which is missing something like 15 minutes of footage that was in the original European release.  For years, I've been hoping that a restored print would be made available.  I can only guess that the source materials for this simply do not exist.

Nevertheless, the movie is something to keep your eye out for, if you're in the mood for something "in the vein of" DS (Patti, I honest-to-Goddess did not mean to commit that tacky pun!).  I actually think scenes from this movie play more like the original television DS than either hoDS or NoDS did.

G.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: "Blood and Roses" and DS
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:29:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! I will be sure to look out for this one. Any other gothic old school horror to reccomend?

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »
Any other gothic old school horror to reccomend?

Mario Bava's THE WHIP AND THE BODY(1963) - thick gothic atmosphere, morbid/romantic ghost story, gorgeous photography. An absolutely brilliant film that any DS fan should enjoy.

It's available on DVD domestically from VCI, or for those with region free capability there's a German DVD from EMS with an even better transfer - I recommend either disc. (If you don't mind reading subtitles, choose the Italian language audio track)

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:08:17 PM »
Blood and Roses has been a favorite since I first encountered it on Commander USA's Groovie Movies back in the mid-80s.

The current video and TV prints suffer terribly as they're cut (as Gothick mentioned) substantially and the film was originally Scope the the compositions are severely damaged.

I don't believe its a question of the film elements being lost. I'm sure its in fine shape in the Paramount vault. Like the Peter Cushing film THE SKULL and LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH, its simply one of those titles which seems a hard sell to Paramount.

At least to their marketing execs, who have no sense of the value of these cult films and probably have never heard of Cushing.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:37:37 AM »
Darren, words fail me.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I knew you would appreciate the value of Roses, as you have of many other films I cherish.

Steve

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 05:43:42 AM »
I had never heard of "Blood and Roses" nor seen a Vadim film, but your description is intriguing ... I checked imdb and found that it is loosely based on "Carmilla."  Sounds luscious!  There are no merchandising links for either VHS or DVD format, unfortunately.  I wish there were another movie channel that aired films not owned by Turner.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 04:45:46 PM »
Vlad, Amazon does have a page for Blood and Roses, I believe.  I don't know why there is no link to the IMDB page for the movie.  The link gives you the usual list of vendors who offer copies of the old VHS (released sometime around 1989-91, I believe).  I checked eBay the other day but nothing turned up apart from a handful of stills and lobby cards.

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 10:50:29 PM »
It looks like its out of print which is why its not showing up on the IMDB link.

Amazon has a few available used but not through Amazon itself. You can buy it from dealers who sell stuff via Amazon, but its kind of like ebay and somewhat unreliable. I purchased a DVD through one of these sellers and they sent me a bootleg.