Author Topic: 1897: Favorite Part/Sub-plot  (Read 2664 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
1897: Favorite Part/Sub-plot
« on: July 22, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »
Hello,

I have been so busy with life the past months and just finished Set 14, I think 1897 is really getting interesting right now.[spoiler]Minerva Trask has just been poisoned and Dirk Wilkins is a vampire.[/spoiler] I just ordered Set 15 and was wondering if 1897 gets more interesting from here on or stays the same.

What are your alls favorite parts?

Shane
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
Re: 1897: Favorite Part/Sub-plot
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 12:15:56 AM »
1897 dips a little in quality and excitement during the middle portion, IMO, because Joan Bennett and KLS are both absent (among other things), but Count Petofi soon arrives making the plot much, MUCH better.  1897 steadily gets better and better till it enters the absolute *best* part of the series once [spoiler]Julia comes back to the past, Lady Hampshire shows up, Quentin and Petofi go through bodily transitions, Barnabas is "staked", Angelique is engaged to marry Quentin, etc.[/spoiler]  The last 40 or so episodes of the storyline are the best ever on DS, I believe.  This is all on Sets 16 and 17, though.  Set 15 is kind of a drag, but get it to complete your collection, as well as see the arrival of Aristede and Petofi.  The earliest and last plots are the best for 1897, IMO.

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 06:07:13 AM »
the best part is Quinten's entire situation...crazy wife, curse, zombie its just so much fun

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 01:56:21 PM »
The earliest and last plots are the best for 1897, IMO.

I understand there is a relationship between Barnabas and Kitty (KLS)- who is a Josette reincarnation. Is that true? And within what period does this all happen, beginning, middle or later 1897?

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 03:40:11 PM »
Kitty is added in late 1897. :) I wish the character had been there from day 1 of the 1897 storyline. A lot more could've been done with her that way.

My favorites are the very beginning and the end segments. The middle seemed to kind of slow down a bit. I remember losing a bit of interest somewhere....though I can't remember offhand exactly where. I love the early episodes with Quentin and Judith and the Collins will, but I also love the end with Barnabas and Quentin, Kitty, Pansy and Judith. I'd have to say that my dvds containing the end of the 1897 storyline are my favorites.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:08:55 PM »
VWF, what did you think of the whol Laura! scenario?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 11:22:38 PM »
I liked the whole Laura sub-plot, but at times I got confused with the incantations she would say. I havent seen the Phoenix SL so I probably wouldnt be as confused about it had I watched it already, but I am waiting until they release those episodes on DVD.

I am looking forward to Julia traveling back to 1897, she is a favorite of mine.

Shane
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 09:05:11 PM »
Just a few of my favorites are:
That whole time with... [spoiler]Pansey, Beth, Barnabas and Quentin are great when Count Petofi takes over Quentin's body to get to the future.[/spoiler]  I also love the part... [spoiler]where the Barnabas doppleganger(?) is staked and then Batnabas shows up at Collinwood.[/spoiler] And Judith. I loved it when she... [spoiler]calls Trask on the phone after he's walled up in the secret room.[/spoiler] Of course the whole... [spoiler]Laura the Phoenix time trying to get her children back is so good.  I truly liked the part where Blackwood is tracking down Aristede and he ends up in Judith's room. I liked the Charles Delaware Tate story.[/spoiler] There's just so much to love about 1897.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 09:49:32 PM »
I would say my favorite sub-plot would concern that wonderful place that children just adored:  Gregory and Minerva Trask's Boarding School.  Greg and Minnie were people you just loved to hate.  And their super-prig daughter Charity.  You just wanted to grab that Bible out of her hand and wallop her so hard on the head that she'd relieve some of the tension she had in that hair bun.  There was the hapless Rachel trying to protect the defenseless Jamison and Nora from the harsh disciplinary action.  Laura resolves it all to free her children and all the other tormented urchins by turning the whole place into a parking lot.  There, Mommie made it all better!  The whole thing was so wonderfully, wickedly Dickensian.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 10:01:34 PM »
And their super-prig daughter Charity.  You just wanted to grab that Bible out of her hand and wallop her so hard on the head that she'd relieve some of the tension she had in that hair bun.

[stfl]  Isn't that the truth!  [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 10:05:11 PM »
!  The whole thing was so wonderfully, wickedly Dickensian.Gerard

I'm not sure I ever made the connection between that part of the plot, involving the school and the terrible behaviour of Trask, and Dicken's "Nicholas Nickleby".

Another source "borrowed" from.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 10:55:03 PM »
One  of my favorite parts is where Count Petofi gets everyone to see themselves as they truly are... [spoiler]Edward Collins a servant... Evan Hanley writing and signing the murder confession and then getting Gregory Trask to sign it also...[/spoiler]
But the best one is Charity Trask as Pansy Faye. Nancy Barrett pulled that off great going from prim and proper to loose and easy. That was so fun to watch.

FireRose

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 12:32:28 PM »
One  of my favorite parts is where Count Petofi gets everyone to see themselves as they truly are... [spoiler]Edward Collins a servant...[/spoiler]

FireRose, I had forgotten about [spoiler]Edward being the butler![/spoiler]

I liked that Quentin had to 'hold the family together'; he always claimed to have to family pride, but, when the chips were down (or tossed overboard, as in this case), he was a true COLLINS

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 04:47:12 PM »
I had forgotten about [spoiler]Edward being the butler![/spoiler]

Actually, Edward thinks himself [spoiler]the Earl of Hampshire's gentleman's gentleman - his valet.[/spoiler]

Check out this link for that type of servant's duties.  :)

I liked that Quentin had to 'hold the family together'

And up to that point, who knew he had ANY sense of responsibility?  [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 05:35:11 PM »
Quote from: Mysterious Benefactor
Check out (URL)  for that type of servant's duties.  :)

Oh My Goddess....THANK YOU for my laugh of the day.  The description of the "Baby Nurse" had me howling. [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas