Author Topic: Fright Night review that references DS  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Fright Night review that references DS
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
Movie review: 'Fright Night'
Colin Farrell is drooling blood in this clever, funny remake of the 1985 vampire film.

I love Marti Noxon's work on Buffy, where I think she wrote some of the series' best eps, so it doesn't surprise me that this Fright Night remake is getting good reviews or that her script would comment on everything from Bela Lugosi to DS. And even though I'm a big fan of the '85 original, I don't plan on bringing along any "carry-on baggage" when I see the film (the same way I plan to approach the Depp/DS film once it's released.)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Fright Night review that references DS
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »
I'm curious to see the remake.  I saw the original with friends, way back in the ancient history of 1985, in Tucson...and I absolutely loved it.  At first, we didn't know what to make of it - it seemed to be such a bad movie.  And then, as it progressed, we discovered that it was deliberately made to be that way; i.e., it was more of a comedy spoof and it really pulled it off.  Roddy McDowell was hysterical in his sort-of bumbling Van-Helsing-Meets-Inspector-Clouseau way.  Everything was over-blown, over-done and over-acted.  And in all that over-the-edge-to-the-max, it had wonderful, little meaningful lines and bits, such as when McDowell's character tries to fend off Sarandon with a cross and Sarandon makes mince-meat out of it, saying (paraphrasing here):  "You have to believe in it, in order for it to work."  

The original was probably the best horror/comedy vampire movie since Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers (Dance of the Vampires in England).

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »
Gee - the DS reference in the film is already up on YouTube as one of the film's official clips:

Fright Night - Official Clip "Dark Shadows" [HD]

That certainly didn't take long...

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
Saw it last night. I loved Peter Vincent as much as the original. Everyone else was better in the original. I'll give it a 2.5 out of 5 and 1.5 of that comes from Vincent.

I wish I had waited for the DVD. We stood in line for nearly 30 mins to get out tickets, over 30 mins to get our popcorn and drinks, then the power went off because of a storm. I don't blame the theater for the storm. All at a cost of over $30.00. Not what I'd call a fun afternoon.

The movie 2.5 stars, customer service at the theater 0 stars.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »
The last time I checked yesterday, overall critic consensus was a B (with Colin Farrell, in particular, getting amazing reviews) - and that was factoring together 146 reviews. We should be so lucky with DS.  [ghost_wink]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
Have you seen it?

Maybe most of those people never saw the original, I don't know. I know I don't really care what reviews say. I remember a couple or so years back when it was discovered that some critics were reviewing movies just to appear on posters and ads. Some critics I listen to but only the ones whose work I like.

I love vampire movies, I love the original Fright Night, this new one is no where near as good.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Many of the reviews that I've read echo the same thoughts as the LA Times:

"Craig Gillespie's remake of the 1985 vampire film "Fright Night" may not tickle the fancies of those who have a close, personal friendship with the older version. I have no such relationship. I brought no carry-on baggage to what Gillespie and screenwriter Marti Noxon deliver, with a cast of surprising quality."

I do count myself as someone who's a big fan of the original. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it. But that being said, it's not because I think it's any sort of classic - it's because I think it's a fun movie. (Roddy McDowell alone is a hoot and a half.) And while I haven't seen it yet, I'm really intrigued by everything I've seen and read about it. And that also includes audience ratings, which, when I just looked on a few sites, are ranging from 3.8 to 4 out of 5 stars. Though, of course, those could mostly be from people who have no relationship with the original whatsoever and who are judging the new version completely on its own.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
I tried as best I could to leave all my "carry-on-baggage" at home but I don't believe anyone can leave it completely all at home. My wife believed it would be at least as good as the original from what she had see in trailers. She is a fan of the original. In the end she says her favorite in this new film was Peter Vincent. Let me say that I loved Vincent in the original, this is a new Peter Vincent. I don't think he is better than the first but he is just as fun.

Maybe, if I had never seen the original, I'd like this movie alot more. I'll never know as I can't unsee the original.  The rest of the cast I liked better in the original. That really susprises me because I love nearly every thing that Roddy McDowell ever did.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing this, as a lot of fans of the original are saying they enjoyed it very much.  Some have even stated that it is on par with the first.  I hope to be able to say something similar when I do eventually see it...  Oh yeah, and I want to say the same thing about Shadows.   [ghost_wink]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 10:55:55 PM »
I'm hoping the DS movie is the best DS movie it can be. It can't have the original stars and that can't be helped. Short of that it could be the best movie of the year. I just have to try and not hope for something it can't be and end up disappointed.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Fright Night was on very early this morning on a local channel and as I was up, I tuned in. It’s turned into a cult classic like The Lost Boys and is pretty much fun to watch. Up to a certain point for me, however. I was never very fond of blood and gore and had to shut it off towards the end. Things that grow, exploding heads, hairdos that take on new dimension and the Eighties all spell cheese – o –rama to me. That’s probably why I’ve seen a whole bunch of times!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:25:48 AM »
Fright Night, like Monster Squad, Fright Night II, the House movies, and Transylvania 6-500 (among others), was one of those 80s comedy/horror flicks that my sister and I grew up on. I've always had a HUGE fondness for Roddy McDowall as Peter Vincent, so I've not been sure if I want to see this remake at the theaters or wait until DVD. How does the character of Peter Vincent hold up in this film? I thought it made sense in the original for Charlie to seek out Peter Vincent, a vampire killer in the Hammer knock-offs, but how does it make sense for him to seek out stage magician?

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 03:04:04 AM »
That's a good plan -- we really enjoyed it, and partly because I kept telling myself, "Not the original, not the original!"

And I squealed a little bit when Toni Collette dropped the DS reference.   [ghost_cool]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"