Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0249  (Read 2393 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0249
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:51:27 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0249
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 02:31:07 PM »
Well, I was wrong.  I thought that Carolyn was capable of being something other than a complete wuss and idiot about her mother, and (I repeat, I'll shout it from the hilltops) I was wrong.  She is given access to the basement room that, she believes, holds the key to Jason's hold over her mother, and she barely even looks at it, and apologizes profusely to her mother.  She really does not want to know the truth; she's just kidding herself.  Oh, well, she's not much more than twenty years old, and she's had an upbringing that would make anybody neurotic on the subject of his or her mother.  Understood.  I don't have to like her for it.  And no wonder Elizabeth can't stand the thought of telling Carolyn the truth!  She knows her daughter well.

Jason played his part very well today - became Liz's friend for a little bit, and softened her up enough so that she could announce the Marvellous Marriage to come.

What is the shirt business in the basement that I read about?  Something that shows that the shirts in the trunk came straight from Ohrbach's and were going straight back?  I didn't see any price tags or packaging, and the cardboard stiffening in the shirts didn't mean a thing.  My father's shirts used to be sent out to the cleaners, and they came back with cardboard in them, which was removed and saved for us kids to play with.  Shirt cardboard - I remember it well.  So, was there something else about those shirts?

I hadn't noticed, when I watched this period before, how neatly the writers managed the switches between plots - no tied-to-the-railroad-tracks cliffhangers for the day before a switch, just a startling announcement that can be mulled over.  "Liz, you'll have to marry me."  "I'm not Josette, I'm Maggie!"  "Listen up, everybody, Jason and I are going to be married."  I'm starting to like the in-and-outness of the Jason plot.  It really makes sense to leave it on the back burner for a while, so everybody can have time to stew themselves up to a fever pitch, instead of everything going lickety-split for no good reason.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »
Great episode.

Just when I thought I couldn't hate Jason any more than I did, he does it again....pretending to be on Elizabeth's side while all the while putting the screws to her. Instead of suggesting they're going to be married he is now demanding that she accept it, albeit it in a subtle way. Bastard! [furious] [furious3]

Great ending to the show too. The looks of horror on the faces of Roger, Vicki and Carolyn after Elizabeth announces her plans to marry Jason is unforgettable.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
She really does not want to know the truth; she's just kidding herself.

Hmmm - I seem to recall someone mentioning something along those lines once or twice.  ;)

I hadn't noticed, when I watched this period before, how neatly the writers managed the switches between plots - no tied-to-the-railroad-tracks cliffhangers for the day before a switch, just a startling announcement that can be mulled over.  "Liz, you'll have to marry me."  "I'm not Josette, I'm Maggie!"  "Listen up, everybody, Jason and I are going to be married."  I'm starting to like the in-and-outness of the Jason plot.  It really makes sense to leave it on the back burner for a while, so everybody can have time to stew themselves up to a fever pitch, instead of everything going lickety-split for no good reason.

Well, this was before a certain executive producer went insane and decided that not just every day had to end with a cliffhanger, but practically every act had to as well. Yes, that often made the show extremely exciting - but it really should have been used in smaller doses as, say, the climaxes of storylines warranted because the downside of pacing the show that way day in and day out was that it often made the pacing of the show far too fast - so much so that if someone missed a day, or worse still, more than a day in a row, they often missed major plot points. The tried and true soap method for success was to pace a show exactly the way this period of DS is paced. And who knows, if that certain executive producer had kept to a few more of the tried and true soap methods that had worked so well in the past as well as for decades more to come, instead of racheting up things like the pacing to a fever's pitch, DS just might have lasted on the air much longer. But, alas, we'll never know...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:46:01 PM »
She really does not want to know the truth; she's just kidding herself.
Hmmm - I seem to recall someone mentioning something along those lines once or twice.
Yes.  I said I was wrong.  I said it again.  Give me a little time, and I'll scrape together the money to rent an ad in the Superbowl telling the world that I was wrong, wrong, WRONG!!!
And MB was right.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »
Very Good Show. I echo, I hate Jason even more now. We are susposed to hate him.

Roger is being judgemental like always. Carolyn is confussed about all the data, she is not thinking straight. Vickie hasn't  started yet on I don't understand.

I have one question, and forgive me for jumping ahead, but how can Maggie always looked so groomed, make up perfect, hair perfect. Isn't she susposed to be kidnapped? Did Willie go out and buy the make up and other female things when he went to Bangor??? I don't think that he could have bought them in Collinsport without people looking at him funny.  ??? ::) ^-^
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:07:18 PM »
Give me a little time, and I'll scrape together the money to rent an ad in the Superbowl telling the world that I was wrong, wrong, WRONG!!!
And MB was right.

Um, that's not at all necessary! I was just having a bit of fun.  ;D

Though, actually, when you said you were wrong, from the context of your post, I took it to mean that you were once willing to believe Carolyn was capable of being something other than a complete wuss and idiot about her mother, but you've realized you were wrong about that.  ;)  And though I don't honestly think Carolyn is either, I've already offered my armchair psychoanalasis of Carolyn on that issue, so I won't repeat myself for the benefit of the people who might be bored with it.  :D

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 12:21:09 AM »
I know it's not any different from what others have said about this episode, but I just had to voice my opinion as well. I cannot stand Jason for forcing Liz in to marrying him!  >:( >:( >:(
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 12:32:18 AM »
Yeah, I wish the writers would have Liz remind Jason that he shouldn't forget what happened to the last man who drove her over the edge.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 07:19:08 AM »
I thought this ep sucked technically - the acting was subpar (except Alexandra), the writing could have been better, and the directing - sloppy. My concentration was broken repeatedly and I found it very frustrating.

I did like the premise of the episode though. We finally get inside that basement room! My goodness, what the hell is Liz worried about? Did anyone see anything that hints of a dead body buried in there? The floor in there looked alot like the foyer floor - And are those stones set in dirt? How the hell did Jsaon dig a grave in there? And if there really isn't a body under there, why the hell did he check the floor for signs of whatever he was looking for?

I did like the way Vicki was represented - the voice of reason - in attendance but not involved in the actual purpose. I also liked Roger's demeanor in the basement, and Liz's reaction after his apology.

Didn't like Carolyn's deportment in the opening segment. She came across as hateful which I think was inappropriate for the character in that specific situation.

I love the basement set. But can someone tell me why there is a big-ass window in the basement? And while I am asking, why are the hanging lights down there so low from the ceiling?

The worst of the worst - the display of six knee-to-toes crisscrossing the basement room floor. I wonder how many times they had to rehearse that little exercise? It was so contrived that it was laughable.

Does anyone wear a brooch better than Joan Bennett? - I thought Liz looked fab. Also love Vicki's hair up like that.

Does anyone really believe that Roger could break into anything, or help someone do so? How absurd. All I could picture Roger doing was standing four feet away critiquing Carolyn's attempt at a break-in - most likely with drink in hand. Yeah, Roger, when you're done helping Carolyn break in, go upstairs and kick Jason's ass for good measure.

Roger's comment about how easily the lock opened went right over my head until hours had passed. I don't remember if Jason had any trouble with the lock. I remember Liz as having had entered the room before, possibly just opening the door or having it appear she'd exited and was locking up. But maybe it was just a scene of her checking the lock.

Too many mess-ups today. By the time Liz announced her marriage plans (nice little speech) I was already thinking about what to make for dinner. Oh well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 09:11:57 AM »
Does anyone really believe that Roger could break into anything, or help someone do so?

I do.  :)  In fact, he [spoiler]had already tried to break into the room in Eps #197 and #198, back when he'd thought some of the paintings he'd "bought" from Sam might have been in there.  ;)  But, of course, Liz caught him and put a stop to it.[/spoiler]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »
That room in the basement has been "off-limits' since Vicki first arrived at Collinwood almost a year earlier.  It was nice to finally see what was in there.  But what was all the excitement about?  There was nothing unusual there!  I felt a little let down.   [rleyeg]

Jason was being "helpful" to Elizabeth just to get what he wanted from her - their wedding.  I hate Jason so much!  [vryangg] BUT I also think that he looked especially handsome today. [winkg]

I noticed that when Elizabeth took off the chain with the key on it, she undid the clasp.  I guess she didn't want to mess up her hair by pulling it over her head! [cheesyg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 01:53:42 PM »
Liz is always so refined, lol, she'd never take off a necklace like a commoner - [lghy]  (I was thinking the same thing ER.)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
The worst of the worst - the display of six knee-to-toes crisscrossing the basement room floor.
But I liked Vicky's shoes!
I noticed that when Elizabeth took off the chain with the key on it, she undid the clasp.  I guess she didn't want to mess up her hair by pulling it over her head!
And she had no trouble undoing the clasp!  She didn't even bring it around to the front so she could see it!  Joan Bennett is a class act.