Author Topic: Can use your help, We are doing great!  (Read 24214 times)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
Re: Dark Shadows: Why are we here?
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2007, 01:22:01 AM »
The PMs I've had on this subject are from people who are really "eye-rolling" over the "Why are we here?" sort of post, which leans even closer to the point of badgering people to participate.  I don't think it good sport to ask people to explain themselves.  Yes, you can steer clear of the discussion entirely but since this is a discussion board, I'll take the discussion route.  After all, that's why we are here - to discuss all things DS. [hall2_wink]

The clashing comes when one's wish to not participate is subtly stepped on.   It has less to do with being broad-minded and more about having a different taste when it comes to playing games or participating in online DS activities.  No one likes being badgered especially over something, that in the scheme of things, doesn't really matter.  If you were after people to write to the President and our representatives about pullings troops out of Iraq, I would understand applying friendly pressure towards that goal.

Well Nancy I believe I own others an apology if they thought my post was badgering in nature.  It was never meant that way. Sorry.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Can use your help, We are doing great!
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2007, 02:01:17 AM »
Just a thought but isn't it amazing how if you agree with someone then you are "open-minded" but if you disagree then you are "closed-minded."

Interesting.

Anyway, continue.
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2007, 03:59:49 AM »
I would like to say a few things. One thing that Dark Shadows told me  when I was growing up,  it was  OK to be different.   You could take a different path, and it was OK.   Some  of us like to vote,  some of us don't.  Ray, Jackie and myself are only trying to get others involved.  It would make our climb easier.  But we don't want to make people wrong if they don't want to vote.  That would not be a  good thing to do.

I kept posting the stats every day or so because people were looking at it.  Many times on this board people look but they don't post.  Our numbers were going up.   On the other subject asking about voting, and this was because I wanted to know.  I asked people to talk to me privately if they felt better about that than posting their thoughts under that subject.  The private messages that I have received have been positive. 

I do respect everyone viewpoint, that is what our country is about.  For that I am very thankful.  I just hope that we can agree to disagree, and all get along.  This is a great group that we all belong to.   We like the fact that we can express out views and our love for our show.  I know that when I was growing up it made life easier.

Thank You, for listen to what I have to say.  I hope that everyone has a great week, and a very Happy Thanksgiving. 
I hope that you can get together with the people that you care about in fellowship.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Thank you for everyones help.
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2007, 03:53:42 PM »
We fell off a little. Sundays can be challenging.  Welcome to all our new voters. Your help is appreciated.

JAG   69040
The Simpsons   62640  +114
Scarecrow and Mrs. King   60101 +141
Northern Exposure   58498 +122
Alias   54705  +147
Cleopatra 2525   53574  +143
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys   49065  +222
Dark Shadows (1966)   46204 +248

If you just put in Dark Shadows alone it will go to oldest show. There was some concern. See below, a note from Rich.

"No problem! We always assume the oldest or most popular version of a show unless the voter specifies otherwise. We've had a few votes for the later version of DS, but none since the REAL fanbase arrived!"

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »
First of all, thank you, Nancy, for clarifying some things for me. My main question was why someone who had no interest in the TV Vote would bother reading, let alone post, here, on this particular thread; I had not realized that you had been asked, point blank, why you didn't participate.

And, I think that, in disagreement, one can certainly still be open-minded; that is why we have discussions like this. That said, we are all members of a larger fandom, and, have a great deal more in common than otherwise. Compared to that, a preference, pro or con, regarding an online poll is trivial.

At any rate, for those who are interested in the voting...

Yesterday wasn't a good day for Dark Shadows. Hercules went a up a few points over the previous day, which was to be expected. What took me by surprise, however, was that Dark Shadows had a MASSIVE drop in votes, from the previous day, especially after the atypical advance we had made on the first day of the weekend. Here are the stats and my analysis:

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2285353&st=240

We need to do better, in order to stay competitive. If nothing else, our demographic should be an advantage. Much of the voter drop-off this week can be attributed to the US Thanksgiving holiday break at colleges. Most of us Dark Shadows fans aren't college kids. I can't say how many of the Hercules voters are, but, we should hold an edge.

Let's get cranking!

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=
The enjoyment of any good thing is only enhanced by sharing it with others.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2007, 01:52:23 AM »
Ah, I see.  You obviously missed some posts on this particular subject - one of them was Lori's post asking for our input, and what did we think (about the poll) followed by, in another thread, Jackie asking those of us who thought "why bother" she wanted to know then why are we here?  Having been on his board for some years, I do take "we" and "us" to include me.  Hence, I responded, as did others. And some also said they didn't see the point in the poll.

If the desire is for only positive support for the voting game, then that needs to be stated otherwise people who agree and disagree about the virtues of the poll are going to respond to the "what do you think?" and "Why are you here?" type  of questions. 

Jackie and Lori are two ladies that I like very much and have a great deal of respect for.  We don't always agree on things.  If they ask a question of the board members, as a board member I will answer.

Enjoy!

First of all, thank you, Nancy, for clarifying some things for me. My main question was why someone who had no interest in the TV Vote would bother reading, let alone post, here, on this particular thread; I had not realized that you had been asked, point blank, why you didn't participate.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2007, 03:31:14 AM »
Thank  You, Nancy.  I did respect what you said. I did ask because I wanted to know.  I am glad that we can all speak out.
Happy Turkey day,  or for some ToFu Turkey.  My house is host to Turkey Day, but I don't have to cook.

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »
Well, the weekend slump is over. Dark Shadows has picked up and gotten back on track, along with most everybody else.

View details of yesterday's vote here:

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2285353&st=240

We are approaching 300+ votes/day, again; Hercules appears to have stabilized at +/-250 votes. If they stay there, we have a good chance of garnering more votes, and, resuming our rapid climb. I got some more commitments from my fellow Firefly voters to nominate Dark Shadows, as well as indications of their interest in the show, iteself; also, I continue to beat the bushes, seeking new voters, generally.

It gives me something to do, late at night, when, otherwise, I'd just be wasting my time, asleep =^[.]~=.

Please, read the stats, get excited about where we're going, and, let's push on!

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2007, 01:52:21 AM »
We did better, so did they. But we did a little bit more. Continue to do what you are doing.  More people are coming to help us.

DS +297

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2007, 02:54:45 PM »
We did better, so did they. But we did a little bit more. Continue to do what you are doing.  More people are coming to help us.
Don't look, now, but, I think they've arrived!

Hercules voting dropped off precipitously, yesterday; it appears they were unable to sustain their surge, though, time will tell.

Dark Shadows, on the other hand, got a new record, 326 votes!

Stats and analysis at:

http://tinyurl.com/28ec4t

We're back at our best, and, getting better!

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2007, 05:36:03 PM »
Party, Party. We did it. Another highest ever. Thank you, for everyones help.  Have a good Turkey Day and safe travel.  Please try to vote as much as possible.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2007, 12:44:01 AM »
This is absolutely marvelous!!  [cheerleader] [cheer]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »
Another, outstanding voting day for Dark Shadows:

http://tinyurl.com/26n5je

We broke 300 votes for the second day in a row; it'd be great if we could make that our new streak, as we have had at 200+ votes/day, for 53 consecutive days, now.

To everybody votin' in the US, happy Thanksgiving!

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

Offline Raycheetah

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
US Thanksgiving Day was no turkey ...For Dark Shadows!

We made fantastic progress, yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/2rpbkg

Hercules dropped off after a heavy Thanksgiving meal, while, we kept moving!

Now, will Black Friday shopping afford us another opportunity to close the gap?

Stay tuned!

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2007, 06:09:10 PM »
Party, Party. We did it. We made up some ground. Almost everybody dropped off. Some more than other.
Happy Black Friday. Vote. Vote.

Hope you all had a  good Turkey Day.

DS +301