Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0876  (Read 507 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0876
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:20:03 PM »
Robservations #876

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0876

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:15:32 AM »
Quentin knows he's himself, because his patented earworm "Shadows Of The Night" is playing in his head.  Farewell, Beth.  No one was looking out for her when she needed it. 

Tate has Quentin's portrait.  Aristede comes begging at Tate's door.  CDT actually is the stable, sensible one in this situation, noting that Aristede is like a little child afraid of the dark.  Now he's run from Barnabas twice.  This last time, he ran from a weak Barnabas, blubbering for help.  Tate agrees to help but up to a point, saying that for the rest, he can grovel at the feet of his master.  Then still agreeing to give him food and shelter, he boots him out the door.  ??

Aristede then grovels to Quentin-Quentin SO long that it's impossible to resist death-pranking him.  It's fun to see Aristede digging the hole more and more deeply.... Petofitofti restores CDT's talent, just in time for Aristede's first attempt at redeeming himself with his master: stabbing him deep in his chest.  That knife really went in there... End.  Thayer has a higher credit than Selby.  By Gordon Russell.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 03:53:29 PM »
A sad end for the faithful Beth.

I guess it should be no surprise to anyone that Tate has Quentin's portrait--which is starting to look a little the worse for wear as its subject remains the epitome of manly beauty. (I know, I know!  [snow_cheesy])

The bullying Aristede turns out to be just another coward. (MS does well here.) It's also funny to see this fastidious-to-a-fault character covered in dirt and with his clothes messed up from being on the run.

Fun to see Quentin's grim enjoyment as his death-pranking plan suddenly takes shape.

Eager to get back into "Petofi"'s good graces, Aristede hurries back to Charles's studio and peers in through the window. When the count is alone, Aristede steals into the house. He raises the knife to stab “Quentin” in the back, but the count turns around the next moment in surprise. However, Aristede has no scruples about looking his victims in the eye. Before the count can utter a word--or raise his Hand--Aristede plunges the Dancing Lady into his chest. The count topples to the floor.........

[According to my notes, Terry Crawford recalls that she fell onto a rubber mattress and bounced up from it, but although it would have made a wonderful blooper, it did not happen on screen.]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 12:53:48 PM »
I have to think the whole Beth thing is important in that it... what?  Shows that the lower class, or women, or faithful women, or people who are strong on the outside and thus are left to fend for themselves... are taken for granted?

Didn't think of it, but muddied, disheveled, formerly preening Aristede is fun to see... Thanks for behind scenes bit on Terry C......
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:21 PM »
I think Beth was all three of those things. Servants weren't treated as human beings and aren't even now, I suspect. At first, Barn treated even DOCTOR Julia Hoffman as an inferior.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:18:58 PM »
Also, I think this ep. marks the first time we see Quentin actually ask for someone's (Beth's) forgiveness. It's probably the first time he has ever done such a thing.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:43:48 AM »
...and of course, he's far too late.