Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #12  (Read 711 times)

Watching Project 2

Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #12
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:00:08 AM »
For those who may have missed it the first time around, here's the montage for Ep #12 that we created in the forum's VantageNet days to celebrate the '91 series' 10th Anniversary:

(Take note that this montage features one character and moments that are nowhere to be seen in the NBC, DVD or MPI's extended VHS version.)

And here's the recap:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap_12.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap_12.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)
[/video]

(More to come...maybe...)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #12
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »
As I watched this episode I had a huge feeling of scenes having been deleted.  Suddenly Barnabas cared greatly about his parents, and though there may have been scenes showing that previously, they can't have been memorable because I don't remember them.  (There's a lamentable failure of logic in the last part of the previous sentence, but let it pass.)

The scene in which Maggie exorcised Angelique from Julia was interesting.  If I ever watch this series again (which seems doubtful right now), I'll want to compare Maggie's words and actions with those of Trask the first time we saw him, when he was performing an exorcism of his own.  Right now all I know is that Maggie looked cleaner than Trask.

The scene in which Trask was murdered was another case of scenes appearing to have been deleted.  Barnabas tells his father to make sure Ben knows that Vicky is to be hung, and next thing we see, Ben is leading Trask to the Old House.  I can connect the dots, sort of - occasionally - more or less - but if you've got a story to tell, why not tell the whole story?  Yeah, I know, the writers had very limited time - but right now I wish they had jettisoned the whole leap to 1790 and spent more time developing the story in the present.  Maybe they thought they couldn't keep the viewers without some time travel, but I think they could have tantalized the viewers with a few more of Barnabas's memories like the one he had of Josette's death near the start of the series, and then they could have ended the season with the beginning of Victoria's journey to 1790, leaving viewers to wonder over the summer how it would all go together.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
There were indeed scenes cut/trimmed from this episode as a few of the sequences have been restored on the MPI VHS. I don't honestly remember what they are at this point because I haven't watched all of the '91 series since its 10th anniversary - and neither the series' concordance or the DS Resurrected book detail what they are. I suppose we'll just have to watch the broadcast version and then the MPI version to pick them out. Though even at that it won't be everything that was cut because, as I alluded to with the montage, some of the stuff that was shot for this episode was never made a part of it in any version.  [santa_sad]

Sadly, scenes were cut/trimmed from just about every ep. I'm still surprised that no one has mentioned how a certain actor's name appears in the opening guest credits for Ep #4, yet he is nowhere to be seen in the ep (though a photo of at least one of his scenes does appear in the DS Resurrected book).

And as far as the excursion to 1790 goes, we probably shouldn't blame the writers because they were of a mind not to go there in the first season. It was DC who insisted that had to be done. And just wait until I get a chance to post an article the goes into DC's involvement in the scene in which Trask is bricked up...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:29:09 PM »
I'm not surprised to hear that DC was involved in the scene where Trask gets his comeuppance (erm ... brickuppance? *ducks flying missiles hurled by exasperated readers)  Just the stills are reminded me that it did have that familiar old DC touch.

I did watch the MPI video of this episode last year and from what I remember, the scene of Barnabas saying goodbye to Sarah goes on for a really long time.  If I'm remembering correctly (which is by no means necessarily the case), the first 15 minutes or so felt terrifically compressed even in the extended MPI version.  I've complained before about how ludicrous I find Abigail's final scene so I won't weary readers with repetition of my thoughts about that.  as far as I am concerned, that whole sequence at the Old House just does not work, except as parody.

G.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »
It really irks me that so many scenes were trimmed or deleted. In the dvd version, Sarah's last appearance is gone and I found that scene to be a bit important. It's when Barnabas and Willie are at the Old House and Sarah appears to him: "Miss Winters...they're going to hurt Miss Winters." He then tells Willie that Victoria is going to die and they rush over to Collinwood. In the dvd, he's just there with no explaination.