Author Topic: Re:Casting The Defunct DS Musical  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Casting The Defunct DS Musical
« on: May 19, 2004, 07:58:11 AM »
And when was the last time DCP mentioned the "proposed DS Broadway musical."  That one (thank goodness) disappeared quietly. . . ;)

OK, I know I should totally shut up before I even start, but I can't resist tossing out some ideas for who should be in the musical (LOL!)...Antonio Banderas as Barnabas and Hugh Jackman as Quentin (or vice versa!), Kelly Clarkson (oh I know I'm gonna get killed now!) as Vicki, Matthew Broderick as Willie, Kristen Chenowith as Angelique, Jane Krakowski as Carolyn, Patti LuPone as Julia, Richard Gere or maybe Nathan Lane as Roger, and Glenn Close as Elizabeth.  And that's all I can come up with right now.

Please don't kill me!  (LOL!) 

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 08:21:41 AM »
I'd prefer Frid and Selby with top hats and canes, arm in arm, doing a song and dance routine.

Now THAT'S Entertainment!   :-*

(Would anyone else besides me buy a ticket to that?)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 08:16:51 PM »

LOL!  I'd be in line right behind you!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 04:53:55 AM »
Antonio Banderas as Barnabas and Hugh Jackman as Quentin (or vice versa!), Kelly Clarkson (oh I know I'm gonna get killed now!) as Vicki, Matthew Broderick as Willie, Kristen Chenowith as Angelique, Jane Krakowski as Carolyn, Patti LuPone as Julia, Richard Gere or maybe Nathan Lane as Roger, and Glenn Close as Elizabeth.  And that's all I can come up with right now.

Well, even if DC could get a script with competent lyrics and music (I DO think Cobert could compose a great score, and maybe Rupert Holmes could write some good lyrics, but DC CANNOT write the book of a musical--even Mel Brooks turned to the experienced Tom Meehan for the book of THE PRODUCERS), your choices for casting do interest and mystify me.  I'd agree 100% on Glenn as Liz, but Kristen just is not an Angelique.  And Matthew, much as I love his work (he was brilliant in HOW TO SUCCEED. . .), just doesn't have the acting "chops" to pull off Willie (look at that awful TV version of MUSIC MAN.  Was he sleepwalking through filming or what?)  Maybe Nathan Lane as Willie?  I could see Jackman as Barnabas, and maybe Antonio could play Quentin.  Sorry, don't know Clarkson;  and Jane Krakowski is a little too old for Carolyn.  Now I COULD see Kristen as Carolyn!!  And probably Gere as Roger.  Oh yes. . .and Harvey Fierstein MUST play Julia Hoffman.  There's no one else for the role but him.   ;D

LOL, Brian

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 08:07:31 AM »
Oh yes. . .and Harvey Fierstein MUST play Julia Hoffman.  There's no one else for the role but him.

I second the motion.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 08:45:16 AM »

Well, even if DC could get a script with competent lyrics and music (I DO think Cobert could compose a great score, and maybe Rupert Holmes could write some good lyrics, but DC CANNOT write the book of a musical--even Mel Brooks turned to the experienced Tom Meehan for the book of THE PRODUCERS), your choices for casting do interest and mystify me.  I'd agree 100% on Glenn as Liz, but Kristen just is not an Angelique.  And Matthew, much as I love his work (he was brilliant in HOW TO SUCCEED. . .), just doesn't have the acting "chops" to pull off Willie (look at that awful TV version of MUSIC MAN.  Was he sleepwalking through filming or what?)  Maybe Nathan Lane as Willie?  I could see Jackman as Barnabas, and maybe Antonio could play Quentin.  Sorry, don't know Clarkson;  and Jane Krakowski is a little too old for Carolyn.  Now I COULD see Kristen as Carolyn!!  And probably Gere as Roger.  Oh yes. . .and Harvey Fierstein MUST play Julia Hoffman.  There's no one else for the role but him.   ;D

LOL, Brian

Uh oh...guess I enjoyed Matthew Broderick in "Music Man" more than you did -- LOL!  I think Kristen is so talented she can pretty much do anything and would really have fun with Angelique but you're right -- she'd make a great Carolyn.  Kelly Clarkson was the first American Idol -- LOL.  Actually, I think Catherine Zeta-Jones would make a really good Vicki but she's a little too old for the part, and like you said Jane Krakowski is a little too old for Carolyn, but what I was thinking was that people can usually get away with playing younger on stage (like Bernadette Peters in "Annie Get Your Gun" for example), so they might be able to pull it off.  Harvey Fierstein as Julia -- holy cats! :o  Now there's an idea!  Ha!  However...I'm not sure I could completely deal with that without swallowing some of Julia's tranquilizers -- LOL!   Maybe Harvey and Patti LuPone could alternate performances -- LOL! ;D

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 10:43:16 PM »
Mary wrote:
Kelly Clarkson (oh I know I'm gonna get killed now!) as Vicki,

How PERFECT!!!!

Jane K. as Dr. Hoffman though.... :D

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 12:59:41 AM »
Actually, I think Catherine Zeta-Jones would make a really good Vicki but she's a little too old for the part

I forgot about Zeta-Jones. . .she may be a little mature for Vicki--but I can really see her as Angelique--blonde wig or not! :o

If Harvey's not your ideal Julia, then maybe move Glenn Close over to Julia and (why not each for the stars) bring in Julie Andrews as Elizabeth!

Hmm--the possibilities of casting make me wish this show could become a reality. . .but . . . :-

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 07:40:21 AM »
Mary wrote:
Kelly Clarkson (oh I know I'm gonna get killed now!) as Vicki,
How PERFECT!!!!

Thanks!  Cool!

Jane K. as Dr. Hoffman though.... :D

Patti

Now that's an interesting direction -- I don't think she would take no for an answer from Barnabas!  LOL! ;D

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 07:49:46 AM »
I forgot about Zeta-Jones. . .she may be a little mature for Vicki--but I can really see her as Angelique--blonde wig or not! :o

You've got a point there!  Hee hee!

If Harvey's not your ideal Julia, then maybe move Glenn Close over to Julia and (why not each for the stars) bring in Julie Andrews as Elizabeth!

Now that would be totally awesome!!  (I sooooo hope she'll be able to get her voice all the way back!!)

Hmm--the possibilities of casting make me wish this show could become a reality. . .but . . . :-

Really!  If only!!

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 04:29:34 PM »
I've been reading "Casting The Defunct DS Musical" in the college library because ours computer has to go to the "Doctor".  Anyway, the part where Antonio Banderas as Barnabas, well I was "hootin' and hollin'" so much, that everybody stopped and looked at me.  I explained to them,  that you had to like DS.  The weird part is...I could see Antonio playing this part and me, sitting in the front seat clapping him on.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2004, 10:10:34 AM »
I'd prefer Frid and Selby with top hats and canes, arm in arm, doing a song and dance routine.

Now THAT'S Entertainment!   :-*

[a1f5] [a1f5] [a1f5] [a1f5] [a1f5] [a1f5] [a1f5] [a1f5]

Suddenly, I'm picturing Frid and Selby as Velma Kelly and Roxie Hart in CHICAGO, dancing the "Hot Honey Rag."

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 05:16:44 AM »
LOL---so instead of bringing out the machine guns, Barnabas will swoop down to the audience and bite everyone in the first row (in time to the music, of course), and Quentin will grow a snout and hair (with his transformation gyrations also timed to the music) and then attack the balcony crowd, while Barny works of the second row.  Only the orchestra conductor, with his wooden baton, will save the audience by staking Barnabas through the back; and then, as the werewolf attacks in the wake of Barnabas' death, the conductor will pull out his silver-tipped ink pen and plunge it through Quentin's heart.

Okay, now we have the end of the musical.  Let's all start writing.  (Can we have a DS round robin musical treatment, please? MB?)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 08:19:14 PM »
Now don't forget, in casting, someone has to start the horrible rumor that Marilyn Manson will be offered a primary part, which seemingly can neither be confirmed nor denied, creating a plethora of outrage, until it ends up as just another link on snopes.com.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 09:08:22 PM »
Now don't forget, in casting, someone has to start the horrible rumor that Marilyn Manson will be offered a primary part

I can definitely see him as Vicki.  ;D