Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0213  (Read 1899 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0213
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:05:12 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0213
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »
Once again, Thank you! to WP for making this so easy.

I guess this episode is where this period of Dark Shadows starts to split off into two completely distinct storylines - the Jason Plot and the Barnabas Plot - and it's only very rarely that the two meet in any way.  One of the things I love about later Dark Shadows is how different subplots collide and affect each other, and I wish it had happened here.

The whole long scene in the Blue Whale was very soapy.  Nancy Barrett acted it well, and I suppose it was a necessary wrap-up to a storyline (the sort of thing that was occasionally skipped later in the series), but if this had been the first Dark Shadows episode I ever saw, it would probably have been my last.  I've never seen any episode before #210, though, and I daresay I'd feel differently about the Blue Whale scene if I'd seen the lead-up to it.

Jason and Elizabeth are still fun to watch, and I agree with everyone who would have liked to see Dennis Patrick and Joan Bennett play a couple.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 04:13:23 PM »
Soapy it is. It definitely makes more sense if you've seen the episodes prior to 210.

There's no doubt that Burke was a rat when he first came to Collinsport. Carolyn was a sucker for falling for him, especially after everyone warned her about him.

I like Burke. And I like Mitch Ryan as Burke. Oh yeah, babe.

Question for the day: What kind of beer logo is on the taps at the bar? Or is that electrical tape covering up the logos?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 07:55:27 PM »
One of those typical soap opera episodes... but I do love to "hate" Jason!  This secret he holds over Elizabeth drives me crazy.  I'm constantly screaming at Liz to tell the bloody truth and don't be blackmailed!  But she doesn't listen to me, NOOOoooo. The more evil Jason is, the more I enjoy thinking of his "future".  But it is strange how this plot never mixes with the pending plot that Barnabas has planned.  [spoiler]At least not until the very end -- Jason's demise.[/spoiler][/color]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 09:07:01 PM »
The whole long scene in the Blue Whale was very soapy.  Nancy Barrett acted it well, and I suppose it was a necessary wrap-up to a storyline (the sort of thing that was occasionally skipped later in the series), but if this had been the first Dark Shadows episode I ever saw, it would probably have been my last.  I've never seen any episode before #210, though, and I daresay I'd feel differently about the Blue Whale scene if I'd seen the lead-up to it.

I LOVE that scene!  But I see it as not just a wrapup of the love triangle that is Joe/Carolyn/Burke; it showed that Carolyn is changing-- growing up, even, and resentful of the label "spoiled brat"-- which I find sad considering that her mother's actions will soon cause her to take a step backwards.  But that's me.

I do wish that character development of the original players didn't eventually take a backseat to supernatural plotting.

Jason and Elizabeth are still fun to watch, and I agree with everyone who would have liked to see Dennis Patrick and Joan Bennett play a couple.

For me, it's the continuous banter between them that became tiresome and made me grateful for the Barnabas stuff.  Yes, we get that he's villainous, and that he has a good lady cornered.  <yawn!>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 09:41:33 PM »
I daresay I'd feel differently about the Blue Whale scene if I'd seen the lead-up to it.

Yes, it's actually quite satisfying on several levels if you've seen what leads up to it.

For me, it's the continuous banter between them that became tiresome and made me grateful for the Barnabas stuff.  Yes, we get that he's villainous, and that he has a good lady cornered.  <yawn!>

Really? Maybe it's just me, but because of the way Joan Bennett and especially Dennis Patrick play their scenes together, I LOVE each and every one of them. And also, no matter how repetitive the threats might become sometimes, they get to trade some priceless barbs with each others. The dialogue in their scenes is often quite spectacular (unlike, say, the overly repetitive threats poor Robert Rodan is saddled with as Adam in the latter half of his storyline).

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 09:54:12 PM »
Really? Maybe it's just me, but because of the way Joan Bennett and especially Dennis Patrick play their scenes together, I LOVE each and every one of them. And also, no matter how repetitive the threats might become sometimes, they get to trade some priceless barbs with each others. The dialogue in their scenes is often quite spectacular (unlike, say, the overly repetitive threats poor Robert Rodan is saddled with as Adam in the latter half of his storyline).

I'm sure it's not just you, and I agree that there were some great lines, but didn't it take [spoiler]nearly 50 episodes for Liz to finally tell somebody?[/spoiler] That's a long time to be hearing the same threats and to maintain tension.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 10:01:53 PM »
That's a long time to be hearing the same threats and to maintain tension.

Well, not necessarily in the soap world where storylines often go on and on for months or even more than a year with very little movement forward. Compared to other soaps, especially many of DS' contemporaries, [spoiler]50 episodes was pretty short.[/spoiler]I mean, the way General Hospital, for one, advanced its plots back in those days definitely comes to mind. Whoa!! Talk about moving at a glacial pace!!  ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:06:04 PM »
I first saw these shows back in early '76 when they were syndicated locally on a Philly UHF channel.  I remember being quite impatient with shows such as 213 at the time.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I was able to tape the last Sci Fi broadcast of 1967 in sequence and see all (or most of) the Laura Collins storyline and Jason's introduction, and see how things led up to Barnabas' arrival.  I appreciated episode 213 and its sequelae with a much more keen enthusiasm once I had the chance to view them in context.

cheers, G.

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 04:49:29 AM »
Be sure to check out these (hopefully  ;)) humorous topics related to this episode:

From "Caption This!":

From "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)":
(none yet)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 11:16:25 PM »
 ^-^ I agree that the whole long drawn out thing at the Blue Whale with Joe, Burke and Carolyn was drawn out and rather boring but it seemed to put closure on the hopes Carolyn still had that Burke might come to love her one day.

I enjoyed the bantering between Liz and Jason, when she demanded the money back and he said he was holding it for Willie. Seems Willie's been back for his clothes. Now how did that come about? Did he just come in and get them? Did Barnabas help ensure he wasn't seen? Given Willie's past he was probably able to do this without Barnabas' help. Jason's right that the Willie he knows would not have left without the money but we know that Willie has been changed.

Carolyn then comes in on an argument between Jason and Liz, demands to know what it's about and they lie saying it only concerned Willie's bothering Carolyn a few nights ago. She knows this isn't true. She demands to know the truth and Jason warns her to leave it alone or she will get her mother in even more trouble.

I hated when Jason told Elizabeth to let Carolyn go, she was the least of her worries. Cold!

Alondra

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 01:43:40 AM »
I too loved to hate Jason.....he could be smooth and charming and I actually find myself liking him, then he threatens Elizabeth (or in this instance Carolyn) and I find myself hating his guts.

Now Jason is maintaining he is Elizabeth's good friend, but the tone in which he talked to Carolyn indicated he was anything BUT. Little wonder Carolyn never bought that story of his being his mother's "most concerned friend."

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 08:50:13 AM »
This episode DID seem rather "soapy".  I agree that Jason and Liz sparred well together.  After seeing Barnabas, it's a bit of a letdown for him to NOT appear - but I understand there ARE other characters, and storylines to see. 

I love Carolyn's hair.  I used to try to wear my hair that way (in a flip), and it didn't work - my hair was too curly.  Of course, my hair is a different color than hers, so I couldn't exactly duplicate it , anyway.  [winkg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]