Author Topic: ‘Rebecca’ Starring Lily James and Armie Hammer Goes to Netflix  (Read 476 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Rebecca’ Starring Lily James and Armie Hammer Goes to Netflix
Working Title is producing this period remake of the Alfred Hitchcock classic.

As far as I'm concerned, there can never be too many versions of Rebecca because they all bring their own unique take on the story...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Rebecca’ Starring Lily James and Armie Hammer Goes to Netflix
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
The original film is a masterpiece of course. It's hard to imagine a better (or equal) "Mrs. Danvers" to Judith Anderson, although I would expect Diana Rigg would have done the role justice, too (speaking of a BBC version I saw too long ago to remember very well).

I was really looking forward to last year's film of "My Cousin Rachel" after reading the excellent novel by DuMaurier, and the trailers looked very good. The more I read about that version, though, the less I wanted to see it, and never did. I learned about the book from catching the last 15 minutes or so of the Richard Burton-Olivia de Havilland film version which caught my interest, though I never watched the DVD after purchasing it a few years back.

I've never actually read "Rebecca," but I've heard that it is jarring and troubling by the end as far as the characters of Maxim and his wife, as is the case with "My Cousin Rachel."
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Rebecca’ Starring Lily James and Armie Hammer Goes to Netflix
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:48:35 PM »
It's hard to imagine a better (or equal) "Mrs. Danvers" to Judith Anderson, although I would expect Diana Rigg would have done the role justice, too

Diana Rigg is excellent. If you ever get the opportunity to see that version, definitely take it.