Author Topic: The Cannery  (Read 2900 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The Cannery
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 10:23:02 PM »
"still" there???

I don't believe a fish cannery could operate in the pre-industrial age.  [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »
lol, that was a joke. 

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 12:14:35 AM »
Maybe not. I think that when Roger gave Vicki the grand tour of the cannery, he mentioned that the Collinses had begun as whalers before switching to sardines. So maybe they had a whale-oil processing factory earlier.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 07:16:18 AM »
I don't know when food began to be put in cans, but it before assembly lines.

So is this it:  The Java Queen goes down off Collinsport and all are buried next door or close.  It was a different ship that Q #1 and his son were on, that went down.  Gerard was on both ships?  Quentin 2 gets Jamison a ship model... of the Java Queen?  then David inherits it.  I'm sure that's full of errors.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 05:01:15 PM »
I don't think (and certainly I may be wrong) that Quentin #2 gave Jameson Java Queen .

I really do not remember Roger giving Vicki a tour of the cannery (was this just mentioned)?

Napoleon really was quite influential on updating canning processes (there's our history lesson of today). But, there was canning before Napoleon (or before he was an adult).

Whaling in 1700s (or, late 1600s), doable....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 05:41:46 PM »
Roger did indeed give Vicki a tour of the cannery...

it was a 1966 episode where Roger wanted to get Vicki out of the house for some reason. so he created a ruse about wanting to give her a "tour" of Collinsport and the cannery. they went into town, visited the cannery, had lunch (or breakfast) at the diner and then I think Roger brought Vicki into the sheriff's office for some reason. probably something to do with "the pen" or giving him an alibi maybe for the night of Malloy's murder. something of that sort.

it was an episode that amply employed the early exterior footage.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »
I don't know when food began to be put in cans, but it before assembly lines.

Being a historian, Magnus, I'd have to do some research since I don't exactly remember, but I think canned food was invented during the Civil War to provide Union troops with sustenance that wouldn't go bad while on the battle field.  From what I recall, that led to the invention of the can-opener because there was no way to open the things.  It's interesting the wars have led to the discovery of many of the things we commonly use today.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 05:19:51 AM »
Thanks Gerard and Patti.  More historical detail welcome.  It's funny, I vaguely remember hearing stories of many of these inventions, but can't place them at all in time, because that part may not have been emphasized, only the immediate circumstances.

It just occurred to me, thinking of Roger's "tour" of the cannery for Vicki might have gone considering lack of film footage... maybe a stock still picture of a sardine in a can could have been used, while Roger says authoritatively, why yes Vicki, that's one of our sardines, don't touch it, it's slimy.... now let's get the hell out of this place it smells...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »
Thanks Gerard and Patti--and you too, MT! Gerard, if you do any research, please let us know what you find out.

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 04:38:01 AM »
I've always wondered what happened to the Logansport cannery after Burke died.  Maybe the Collins' snatched it up...

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
The live footage of Roger showing the cannery to Vicky was one of the few, if not only, times that sound was used in live footage from a person.