Author Topic: Characters whose personalities changed  (Read 4718 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Characters whose personalities changed
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 06:25:06 PM »
IMO 1840 Quentin was a bit on the naive side.

Oh boy, is that ever the truth, especially compared to 1897 Quentin!  ;)  He's a completely different Quentin.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 08:05:45 PM »
Yeah, the 1897 Quentin would have smelled Gerard a mile away!

Also I think 1970 PT Quentin was a bit naive when it came to his "sister-in-law." Of course he had no idea [spoiler]she was really his dead wife back from the grave, but boy he never seemed to pick up on even the slightest clue "Alexis" was not quite who she seemed to be. He believed everything she told him, and thus made it oh so easy for her to manipulate him into believing Maggie was the witch.[/spoiler]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 08:09:36 PM »
Also I think 1970 PT Quentin was a bit naive when it came to his "sister-in-law." Of course he had no idea [spoiler]she was really his dead wife back from the grave, but boy he never seemed to pick up on even the slightest clue "Alexis" was not quite who she seemed to be. He believed everything she told him, and thus made it oh so easy for her to manipulate him into believing Maggie was the witch.[/spoiler]

Excellent point!
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 08:12:54 PM »
What does IIRC stand for?

Just a reminder:

Online Shorthand Expressions List

The Testing board (like the Preview feature) is our friend.  ;)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 08:16:34 PM »
Yeah, the 1897 Quentin would have smelled Gerard a mile away!

That's right. Look at how long it took him [spoiler]to trust Barnabas. It seems that even after he and Barnabas had learned each others' secrets he still took a while to truly trust him.[/spoiler]

That frustrated me no end. [spoiler]First he did suspect while she was still Alexis. Then at the exact time Angelique took Alexis' place, he had finally decided she WAS Alexis! And it wasn't until the very last when Angelique was finally destroyed and Barnabas told him she had really been Angelique that he realized the truth. He and Maggie were both badly manipulated by Angelique.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 10:26:41 PM »
Another character who changed drastically - due more to a change in the writers' concept of her than to character development, IMO, though one could argue that there was a natural change in her attitudes over time - was Mrs. Johnson.  Remember at the beginning of the series, she had nothing but dislike for the Collins family and their high-and-mighty ways.  She went to work at Collinwood in order to spy on the family - especially Roger -  for Burke Devlin - or at least he convinced her to use her position at Collinwood to help him plot his revenge against Roger.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 04:19:57 AM »
Another character who changed drastically - due more to a change in the writers' concept of her than to character development, IMO, though one could argue that there was a natural change in her attitudes over time - was Mrs. Johnson.  Remember at the beginning of the series, she had nothing but dislike for the Collins family and their high-and-mighty ways.  She went to work at Collinwood in order to spy on the family - especially Roger -  for Burke Devlin - or at least he convinced her to use her position at Collinwood to help him plot his revenge against Roger.

Very true Vlad.  But I for one am glad that DC or the writers, whoever it was, decided to change her character into the devoted Mrs. J we all know and love.  She, along w/Buzz, was my favorite secondary DS character.  She just cracked me up!   :D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 07:44:51 PM »
Yes, I agree, Buzz. Mrs. Johnson morphing into a loyal servant and friend was great, and her concern for David was so touching. It was a smart move to do that with her since Clarice Blackburn was such an accomplished stage actress. Utilizing her was definitely a good thing.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »
But did Mrs. Johnson's personality change?  I agree that:
one could argue that there was a natural change in her attitudes over time
but wasn't she the same picky, outspoken, narrow-minded, and amusing woman in 1970 as she was in 1966?  It's true that her relationship with the family went from adversarial to that of a devoted employee, but when when we first met her she was just as fiercely devoted to Bill Malloy.  Unfortunately, we didn't see much of the character post-1897 (only appearing a handful of times, and half of those were in 1995) anyway.

I think we have to discount older Carolyn's story about Mrs. J brushing her hair when she was a child as the ramblings of someone who doesn't have a firm grasp of reality.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 08:41:35 PM »
But did Mrs. Johnson's personality change?  I agree that:
one could argue that there was a natural change in her attitudes over time
but wasn't she the same picky, outspoken, narrow-minded, and amusing woman in 1970 as she was in 1966?  It's true that her relationship with the family went from adversarial to that of a devoted employee, but when when we first met her she was just as fiercely devoted to Bill Malloy.  Unfortunately, we didn't see much of the character post-1897 (only appearing a handful of times, and half of those were in 1995) anyway.

I think we have to discount older Carolyn's story about Mrs. J brushing her hair when she was a child as the ramblings of someone who doesn't have a firm grasp of reality.

I think she did mellow over time. When we first met her, she was almost nasty and hell-bent on revenge. Also, there was that scene in the diner where [spoiler]Maggie served her a roast beef sandwich and Mrs. J. kept complaining about the mayonnaise, bragging how she'd always made her own, and even going so far as to smell the sandwich![/spoiler] As time went on, she lost that crabbiness, although one certainly couldn't accuse her of being Mrs. Sweetness and Light -- LOL.

As for Carolyn's musings as a madwoman, it's possible she referred to herself as a child having her hair brushed by Mrs. J. simply because she was no longer that wild teenager we first encounter during the early days of the show, which is when Mrs. J. came into the picture.