Author Topic: Sights Unseen  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Sights Unseen
« on: September 27, 2002, 09:20:03 PM »
Notice how cleverly the camera followed Barnabas and Ben Stokes right off the edge of the set of the Collinwood foyer, keeping the lights around them dark, as they walked to the "door" leading to the "study." This is one of a few times when we see someone do that, despite the fact that there seems to be no connecting set between the two locations. Usually when one of the characters goes to the study, we see them walk out of camera range, downstage left, and sometimes downstage right.

Have you ever imagined what those missing parts of the sets might look like? The other side of the Collinwood foyer, for instance; what one might see looking straight ahead if they were walking down the staircase. I've always pictured an enormous hallway leading off to the study, perhaps a library, and who knows what else.

And what of the other side of the Old House drawing room? Or the other side of Maggie's cottage? What do you suppose they might look like?

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Sights Unseen
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 01:30:26 AM »
Have you ever imagined what those missing parts of the sets might look like? The other side of the Collinwood foyer, for instance; what one might see looking straight ahead if they were walking down the staircase.

I saw a picture of it, don't remember what book it was in, but the view was of a plain looking room, and behind-the-scenes people were there. Nothing exciting.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 04:22:53 AM »
Have you ever imagined what those missing parts of the sets might look like? The other side of the Collinwood foyer, for instance; what one might see looking straight ahead if they were walking down the staircase. I've always pictured an enormous hallway leading off to the study, perhaps a library, and who knows what else.

And what of the other side of the Old House drawing room? Or the other side of Maggie's cottage? What do you suppose they might look like?

I always imagined that there would be a library just where you say there might be and next to that, a lady's  parlor or sewing room.  Wealthy families generally had a room just for the ladies to retire to after dinner when the men would go into the study or maybe even a 'game room' for cigars and port.

I would think that the Collinses used the ladies parlor as their TV room in the 60's/70's.  Although we never actually saw them parked in front of it trying to catch Roller Derby or wrestling.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2002, 04:33:49 AM »
I've always pictured an enormous hallway leading off to the study, perhaps a library, and who knows what else.

Hmmmm...a library makes it my kinda place with a conservatory next door.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2002, 04:39:44 AM »

I guess I'm being dense, but I thought if you were looking straight ahead coming down the staircase at Collinwood you would see the door? I've always had the feeling that the Old House was rather small, probably with small rooms jutting off. The homes of that era that I have seen didn't have a kitchen in the main house, for instance, since that was a fire hazard. So they had a dining room and maybe a mud room behind it and that was it.

Maggie's house would have a small open kitchen on the other side of the studio area. In fact, I'm not sure that I'm making that up, I thought they had showed it at some point?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton