Author Topic: If you lived at Collinwood . . .  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: If you lived at Collinwood . . .
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2002, 04:00:09 PM »
I'm with you VAM....just send me where the books are.  And then send Willie with a pot of tea!!   ;)

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2002, 08:08:41 PM »
I'm with you VAM....just send me where the books are.  And then send Willie with a pot of tea!!   ;)

Rainey

I didn't want to say this but the child in me always wanted to slide down the rail of the staircase in the foyer of the Big House! ::)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2002, 10:57:04 PM »
I liked the study, it seemed like a peaceful, cozy room.  

Liz had a nice, big bedroom, and Vicki's wasn't bad.  Carolyn had the most modern-looking bedroom for the time, and I thought that quite cool.

For privacy, give me the cottage, though.  Nice, small, intimate. . .a great place to write and think--and turn into a werewolf, if the spirit hits you!

Love, Robin

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2002, 07:30:12 AM »
Let's see I'd like the East wing room too, the PT room, properly exorcised and adjusted. . nice big picture window, fireplace, lovely colors. . OR. . Joshua & Naomi's room at the Old House. . that was nice too.  BIG is what I want. . room for all my crap nicely laid out so it doesn't look cluttered and crappy. .
Julia99

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2002, 11:57:42 PM »
I really like Roger's study, a good place to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2002, 05:36:12 AM »
I dont care what room I lived in, I just would want to live at Collinwood.  That house is one of the best in Soaps.  However, I think I would want to live at the New house, and not the OLD...

jon
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2002, 10:24:33 PM »
Well I love the drawing room best.  But I'm with LizGrayson in that I would love to imagine and design other rooms that might have been.  For instance, I really think the room they needed to add most was a dinning room (what a shame they never showed them sitting around a long, long candle-lit table in a formal dinning room discussing the latest strange event at the old manor house!)  I also love the conservatory idea and an atrium too with lots of ferns, glass, maybe a few tall wicker chairs and an indoor fountain.  And the kitchen was ALL wrong IMO!  It should have been much bigger and much older looking.  They also could have used a musty old library.  Of course this would probably have meant a much bigger studio and many more $$$'s involved.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2002, 03:27:43 AM »
An old magazine photo of how the ballroom looked in its heyday was on one of the old boards; I can post it if anyone is interested in seeing it.

YES! Please do so. Thanks!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2002, 03:31:11 AM »
I agree with Jenifer and like the caretaker's cottage.  But if you are limiting the selection to the Big House it would be the Library (if there is one) or the Study.

No, any property on the Collins estate will do, so even Josette's room is available!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Collinwood
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2002, 07:57:01 PM »
Enjoy, Chris_2!  (I could NOT get into AOL's FTP at all last nite.)

This is from Newport Life - City Guide 2001, which is still on the stands through next month!  The wonderful article about the history of Seaview Terrace is House of Dark Shadows by DS fan Michael Seggie, an expert on the real Collinwood.

Photo is of the ballroom (here called the music room) taken shortly after the house's 1925 debut, the focal point a 16th century Flemish tapestry. The caption states that the house's furnishings and rare art collection were sold at auction in the 1940s to pay back taxes.

The ballroom is on the far right (peeking out from behind the solarium) in my photo below taken last summer.  It was closed off by the Carey family at that time for renovation.

The row of rounded windows in the right front corner of the house line the exterior of the large solarium, which was also undergoing extensive renovation.  The steps in front of the solarium are the ones Vicki Winters is seen walking down on the show.

I love this house!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2002, 08:22:38 PM »
Thanks for posting those photos Midnite! I was going to put in my vote to see the ballroom earlier yesterday but I got a tad carried away posting and the board flagged me down...I guess I posted my limit (but I have a license ossifer - really I do  ;D).  That room as pictured would have been a wonderful addition to the show (well, a scaled down, less expensive DC approved version anyway).
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Collinwood
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2002, 03:41:26 AM »
I love this house!

Me too! Thanks so much for posting this, Midnite! I'm borderline obsessed about Seaview Terrace and enjoy seeing any and all pics of it. My dream is to one day visit Newport and have my picture taken there.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2002, 04:37:21 AM »
Thank you for the wonderful photos. Midnite! :)

I've always wanted to ask where the front door is.  Does it show up in your picture or is it on the other side of the building?

And, for that matter, I assume it's not the real front door we see everyday, since we constantly see them using it.  Is it a duplicate of the real one or just a nice door they created for the show?
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2002, 05:46:56 AM »
CastleBee wrote:  That room as pictured would have been a wonderful addition to the show (well, a scaled down, less expensive DC approved version anyway).

Thank you Midnite for the great photo's!! :) What a lovely picture! I agree with CastleBee, it would have been so nice to see this beautiful ballroom in the show. at least once or twice anyway.  :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2002, 05:49:12 AM »
Did anyone noticed Peter Bradford's comment today to Naomi Collins that he and Victoria ("Vicki") were hiding "on your property"?

In other words, the cemetery IS on Collins property.  And apparently very close to Collinwood (remember Sarah running out of the house directly into the cemetery?).

In "Angelique's Descent," the cemetery is adjacent to Collinwood and the Old House.

I'm trying to remember from the present-day (1970s) storyline if the mausoleum is in the Eagle Hill Cemetery or not. Which cemetery had the mausoleum with Laura Stockbridge Murdoch's tombs?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995