Author Topic: Problem with "new"  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Problem with "new"
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:11:40 AM »
In most of the forums the "new" tag takes me to the first new post in the topic.  But in the GAMES forum with the Acronyms Gone Wild, it doesn't seem to work.  I generally post every night.  Some days there might be just one (or even no) response to that.  But, when there are a lot of additional responses, when I click "new," instead of being taken to the first one after mine, I'm taken to one several replies further down.  This happens regularly, and only for that one topic.  As I said, all the others work as designed!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with "new"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
Hmmm - I haven't noticed that - but I'll have to pay attention. Though I can't say why it should be happening - particularly for only that one topic.  [hdscrt]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 06:40:46 AM »
I checked out what happened tonight.  There were 6 posts after mine, 3 on a new page.  The "new" took me to the 2nd one, so this time it only skipped one.  I tried it a second time and it did the same thing.

It occurred to me that I don't really know that all the others work.  Since I posted in this thread, it's obvious that it skipped some posts after mine.  In threads where I didn't post, I don't know that I've checked to see if I recognize the previous post.  I just assume that I'm being taken to the first new one, but perhaps I've been missing posts everywhere.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »
What's odd is that all the "new" icons work for me in all the topics, and in both Windows and Linux in a few different browsers.

However, we are investigating that that may not be the case depending on whether or not someone is using a PC or an iPad or iPhone. Another member believes it may have also happened to him in the AGW topic while he was using his iPad - though as of yet he hasn't been able to confirm it because there weren't any new posts at the time he wrote to tell us. And if it is an issue with an iPad/iPhone, who knows, it may also be an issue with Macs. Though if it is, I have no idea why. Or why it would suddenly start to happen now. Well, unless it's possibly due to some recent Apple update because there hasn't been an update to the forum's system since back in February when we upgrade from SMF 2.0.3 to 2.0.4.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
An update - I just received this PM:

I got lucky this morning, I was able to test it on both the laptop and the ipad. No prob with laptop, ipad missed the new post by one post, presented second new post at first view. I'll keep testing and let you know if it happens repeatedly.

So, he had the same problem on his iPad as you did, Josette, with the second most recent post to him presenting itself as the first. But the problem was only with his iPad. How very strange...

When I get the chance I'll have to check out SMF's home site to see if there's been any discussion about problems with iPads and iPhones...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
I did a search on SMF's site, and there doesn't seem to be anything about this problem. Though it could be that the problem is so new that we're the first to notice it. I'll keep an eye out, and if nothing comes up, then I just might ask about it myself (which I don't really have the time to do right now).

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »
No ipad or laptop.  Regular computer.  Firefox 9.0.1
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
But is your computer a Mac or a PC, Josette? As I said, given that laptops and PCs running Windows (and even Linux) don't seem to have the problem, it could be an Apple issue. But if you are experiencing the problem on a PC running Windows, then the situation is truly bizarre because it would seem there's no rhyme nor reason to it when others using/running the same are not having the problem.  [ghost_undecided]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 06:06:29 AM »
PC - Windows 7.  So, evidently you've got a puzzle to figure out!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
The thing is, since it's not happening to everyone using a PC or laptop with Windows, whatever is happening isn't in the forum's system - it's something outside of the forum, so I have no idea what it could be.  [ghost_undecided]

Though one thing I can definitely rule out is the latest Java update for Windows because I installed that update last week and everything still works fine for me...

The only thing I can say is that apparently when I checked the SMF Web site, looking for problems with the "new" icon and an iPad/iPhone was too narrowing now that we know it can happen with a PC and Windows, so when I get the chance I'll do another search...