Author Topic: Old House from HODS on the market  (Read 123 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Old House from HODS on the market
« on: March 26, 2023, 07:57:06 PM »
Spied this on Facebook...

A Pedigreed Mansion with a Horror Movie History Hits the Market

The Vanderlip family mansion, known to DS fans as Beechwood, was also a filming location for the 1972 film Savages with Thayer David and Chris Pennock.

One unit-- the mansion was subdivided into 3 residences in 1979-- is for sale for only 2.4 mil.  [easter_wink]

With thanks to jimbo!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Old House from HODS on the market
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 02:48:50 PM »
Interesting. And considering it's fairly obvious that additions were built onto that house, I'm not surprised it was subdivided.

Thanks so much for the link, Midnite (and jimbo).  [easter_smiley]

I love the comment that says, "This house has nothing to do with Dark Shadows." If the poster is referring to the daytime show, well, he's right, but the article goes out of its way to make sure people know it's hoDS and not the daytime show that the house appeared in, even providing screen captures. So...  [easter_rolleyes]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 03:05:15 PM »
I've never seen the film Savages so I just watched the link to the trailer. What a hoot that Chris Pennock and Thayer David got to appear in scenes together in the film and that Thayer got to work in the house for a second time...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 06:18:10 AM »
I have spent countless hours over the years trying to find floor plans or photos of the "original" (i.e., pre-subdividing) main entryway that was featured in HODS and Savages. I have been so fascinated with that room since I first saw HODS in Sept. 1970. But I have had no luck, and what I've been able to find from the post-subdividing era leads me to believe that the original main entryway was totally remodeled and no longer exists in its original form in the unit created from that part of the house. Which would be a major architectural crime!