Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0300  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0300
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
Robservations - #300

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0300

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
Once again I like Barnabas telling Julia “We must trust each other.”  It’s a minuscule beginning - but it is a beginning.

The writer must have consulted his great-grandmother’s how-to book for Burke’s proposal and Vicky’s response.  Good heavens, she was surprised when Burke proposed!  Where are we in the assumed arc of Vicky’s cluelessness?  Are we still deploring the fact that although she’s smart as a whip now, she’ll eventually descend into utter imbecility?  Or are we saying that the descent has already been made?  I can’t keep track.  I see no arc; I just see a flat line.

Still, it’s a shame that Burke’s proposal should have been like this.  The relationship between the Burke and Vicky used to be interesting.  It was your basic forbidden love, both because Burke was the official enemy of the Collins family, and also because Carolyn wanted Burke for herself.  I never liked Mitchell Ryan’s Burke, but I sympathized with him about Vicky: she was a spanner in the works that he couldn’t dismiss.  Once upon time they kissed in Burke’s hotel suite, even while they knew that there could be no relationship.  And now here’s Liz smiling and doing everything she can to smooth the way for the happy pair, and Burke is objecting to things about Vicky that were part of what attracted him to her in the first place.

But they must get married, so they can move into Seaview together and endure the horrors that Seaview is concealing within its breast, or within whatever it is that passes for a breast in a house.  I like the way we haven't yet been told exactly why Seaview is "Not For Sale".  Obviously some Collins had a very bad experience there and is considerately trying to keep anybody else from going through the same bad experience.  Burke, however, will loudly pooh-pooh all such fantasies, and buy the house, and go to his death (he's got to die so Anthony George can go off and become a famous movie star) proclaiming his disbelief every inch of the way.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »
Once again Julia is telling him to stay away from Barnabas, and he reluctantly agrees...he supposedly doesn't want to hurt Vicki, but will transforming her into Josette have been a painless experience for her? When Maggie refused to give in to being Josette, Barnabas did everything he could to force her to give in, threaten, choke her, locked her in the basement cell....she still wouldn't give up her own identity. With Vicki though he might have an easier time since she already feels a sort of kinship with the ghost of Josette.

Now that he has learned that Burke has proposed to Vicki though Barnabas feels that murder is once again the answer. With Jason it's sort of understandable why he done away with him...he couldn't take the chance that Jason would go blabbing to the sheriff about him and his coffin, no matter how unlikely it would have been that Jason would have been believed. Considering how demanding Burke has become I think Barnabas should just settle on pointing out to Vicki if she really wants to settle down with someone who dictates to her what she can and cannot do, who she can have as a friend and who she can't have.

Burke really had NOT been that way in the beginning...he saw Vicki as a person with her own ideals and opinions and while sometimes they had disagreements (especially about Laura) he still treated her more like a person than as someone he could control. Hmm...maybe he and Barnabas aren't so different after all. Barnabas sees her as a Josette replacement, Burke sees her as the new "Mrs. Burke Devlin".

Vicki may become Mrs. Burke Devlin, but she still doesn't have a clue to her true identity...it really is a travesty that the writers chose to forget why she came to Collinwood in the first place, and that was to find out anything she could about her past.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »
Some nice moments here:

Barnabas is quite annoyed when he has to call Willie twice. Barn wants Willie to spy on Vicki and "Devlin" and report back everything they say. Willie protests, I can’t get that close without their noticing me! Find a way, Barnabas orders him. Need I remind you of the cost of failure? The streetwise Willie tries to warn him thus: Face it, Barnabas, you're going to lose her. Barnabas eventually lets go of Willie's throat when he realizes he needs him to report back.

Barnabas may be cooperating with Julia, but only under duress: Julia finishes giving Barnabas an injection, evidently not the first in the series she has scheduled. While Barnabas rolls his shirtsleeve down and puts his jacket back on as if re-encasing himself in a suit of armor, Julia reports that things are going well so far. She tells him, Your blood chemistry is starting to change already. You even have a heartbeat. I’d like to listen to it now. At this request, he stiffly and reluctantly unbuttons his suit jacket, keeping his shirt buttoned up tight. He holds his jacket open just barely enough for the stethoscope to fit. (JF does a good job of showing Barnabas's reluctance at what must seem to be very invasive procedures!)

Barnabas and Julia agree that they must trust each other. They are far from friends, but already I get the feeling that JF and GH are playing their characters like a couple.

Vicki thinks that by marrying Burke she'll find her identity--as Mrs. Burke Devlin (bleargh!). Then they have one of the least-convincing kisses in TV history. What happened to the "little governess" who told Burke that she's "standing on her own two feet"?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
One thing that has to be remembered is that prior to the Barnabas storyline Art Wallace was still the head writer, and even when he was no longer writing scripts, he was still overseeing them in his capacity as head writer. But just about the time of Barnabas' intro, Art Wallace left the show and DC for all intents and purposes took over the position of head writer. The difference definitely showed by this point in the storyline.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:05:43 PM »
Wow, he left so soon?!

Does anyone else out there think that Julia is already falling for Barnabas? In ep. 299, my notes have her looking surprised and pained just as Barnabas and Vicki finish their conversation by the fountain. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, though.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:48:22 AM »
Vicki is uneasy about a dream she had last night and discusses it with Julia, admitting confusion over feeling threatened, but not afraid. She further confesses that it may not have been a dream at all; she had evidence that someone may very well have been in her room. Eventually, but not unexpectedly, Jules talks her down.

I wonder if we are supposed to get something out of this? Does Vicki knowing she was in danger and yet unafraid mean there is some sort of destiny at play? That perhaps fate had destined her to be with Barnabas? More obvious is the set-up for a confrontation between Jules and Barn sometime in the near future.

Did anyone get the feeling that Julia was slyly reinforcing Vicki’s relationship status with Burke during the pleasantries they exchanged before commencing on the dream? Grayson didn’t use any of her arsenal of physicality to indicate as much.

Vicki: I’m not worried, it’s just strange, that’s all! (Well, excuse me!)

Finally, Barn acts as I expect him to by letting Julia know that he is not used to taking orders. Julia really lays into him regarding Vicki’s ‘dream’; she’s one brave woman. I think her courage is bourn of her determination to find a cure. I didn’t realize that the experiments on Barnabas were all ready in the mix, so a whole lot more makes sense to me now regarding his and Julia’s tolerance of each other. If Julia’s falling for Barn, I don’t think we are supposed to know it at this point. I’m not seeing it.

I am surprised that Vicki is at all hesitant to marry Burke. But having just jumped into the project I am not going to elaborate on that. Once again I mirror your observation, Lydia, as I too wondered where in the cluelessness arc Vicki was. Not realizing Barn is attracted to her and that Burke was on the verge of a proposal seems a bit of a stretch. Liz practically proposed for Burke earlier in the evening. I was somewhat comforted that Burke didn’t get nasty about it.

Can anyone be surprised that Willie’s report of Burke's proposal throws Barn in to a tailspin?

Afterthoughts: I enjoyed both of Joan Bennett’s scenes. Liz is my favorite character and I always delight in her presence. These happened to be two particularly good performances by Ms. Bennett. I love it when Liz is engaged in what I like to call formal casual conversations. Alexandra, Grayson & Karlen all turned in good performances.

I found all of Frid’s performances lacking. Even Anthony George outshone him, but not by much.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »
I disagree....I thought Jonathan really shines in here, especiallly when he told Willie that Burke had to be disposed of...he really sounded sinister here.

He may be off his game sometimes, but he always gave it his all and really did turn in some heartfelt perfomances.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
Indeed he did.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:57 AM »
Devlin must die! Please. The seemingly only way to deal with a threat is to kill them. Why not just put Devlin under his control no matter how distasteful his blood is bound to be. Barnabas admits he has been lonely. It is funny that Willie is now the voice of reason after being made a slave.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »
It is funny that Willie is now the voice of reason after being made a slave.

I still say that Willie's new-found compassion has turned his life around. Plus he still has his street smarts, which always come in handy.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »
So true. Thank goodness for the street smarts. Barn should be thankful for them as well. Willie is a great character and I am so glad he survives all of his trials and tribulations. He goes from a truly despicable character to a totally sympathetic one with heroic tendencies. 

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
So true. Thank goodness for the street smarts. Barn should be thankful for them as well. Willie is a great character and I am so glad he survives all of his trials and tribulations. He goes from a truly despicable character to a totally sympathetic one with heroic tendencies. 

True, but I think the same can also be said for Barnabas after [spoiler] he was cured of his vampirism [/spoiler]...well, except for a few bone-headed, selfish and particularly cold-blooded boo-boos he makes from time to time as the show goes along. I know Barnabas isn't your favorite, but he will always be my personal fav. However, I can't deny that he was hardly without flaws and could still be a jerk even post-curse.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »
I don't like him now right now.

He was one of my childhood heroes. I credit the character for subliminally teaching me that doing the right thing was the right thing to do, family first, and to have a conscience, empathy, sympathy, a sense of ethics, etc. Well, it helped having that example, latch key kid here, no sibling love, divorced parents, etc.

I started watching the OS during 1897, so I only knew the good Barn --was so shocked to see the nasty Barn when I started watching from the beginning all those years later.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 06:00:02 AM »
So, while young people all over the country were reveling in the Summer of Love, we have Vicki telling Burke, "If I marry you, I'll finally have an identity!" Apparently, the still-burgeoning Modern Awakening hadn't quite reached the shores of Maine yet.