Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0360  (Read 1191 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0360
« on: December 08, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
Robservations - #360

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0360

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:58:39 PM »
Tony probably thinks Julia is more than a little crazy, but he shows her that the notebook is safe, its puny lock unforced. (Why she didn't follow her earlier plan of putting it in a safe-deposit box is never explained.)

Maggie and Joe are still the sweetest couple in Collinsport!

We get a different caretaker (because of the NABET strike, I guess) but he's still as dotty as the original. While Julia is asking him about Sarah, suddenly she hears "London Bridge" in cheerful major mode, which she takes as a hopeful sign. But when Sarah finally appears, she is very angry with Julia. I know what you did, she says. He was my friend, and you killed him. I didn’t kill him, Julia pleads. Barnabas forced me to help him. Sarah's not buying: I liked him. You shouldn't have done it, she keeps repeating. I’m sorry, Julia says desperately. Please protect me! Barnabas is going to kill me too! I have to go now, Sarah says, then disappears, leaving Julia alone in the mausoleum....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
Again, an unrelentingly hard stretch of DS to get through.   [spoiler]Maybe 1795 somehow undoes Woodard's killing, through some unanticipated series of changes, making all that future guilt unnecessary.   1795 at least wrenches us out of all this, and puts it behind us as viewers.[/spoiler]

It always gets me that that little teen diary pretend "lock" is treated as a real barrier (though here, TP just wants to show he didn't read it...), along with the supposed "strongbox", which a rock could take care of in a minute!   Barnabas wouldn't even need to open the locked box.  It's enough that he has it and Julia hasn't, though Julia could say, "Oh that box?   I moved it from there days ago..."   But again, a rock....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:42:33 AM »
Your spoiler makes me feel a bit better, MT. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:10:49 PM »
Well, unfortunately I'm going to make you not feel better about it, DarkLady, because we know that[spoiler]Woodard's death is not undone by events in 1795 because in 1968 we have the infamous "Remember someone" scene in which Barnabas uses Woodard's death and Julia's guilt over it as leverage to get Julia not to call the police after she discovers Dr. Lang's "creation".  [santa_wink][/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »
Too true!  [santa_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:06:14 PM »
Don't listen to him, DL!!   [spoiler]Dave is alive and well in 1968, watching Flipper and eating Cheetos!   Actually, I remembered this right in the middle of a reply to DL, and scrapped the post.   Who knows, maybe Barnabas couldn't remember Dave's name because he was in the process of fading from the timeline....[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »
*splort*  [santa_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 03:02:37 AM »
Barnabas just said "remember somebody."  The other name was supplied by Dr. Lang.  For all we know, "remember somebody" was a code phrase Barn and Jules shared.  "Somebody" may have been Junius B. Flatbush, a Rockport bookie who knew just what and why Julia Hoffman was using Wyndcliffe as a front for...

the very actively imaginative Gothick

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:00:22 AM »
I haven't seen the scene in a while, so I could be remembering wrong, but doesn't[spoiler]Barnabas repeat Woodard's name after Dr. Lang says it?[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 04:27:35 AM »
I haven't seen the scene in a while, so I could be remembering wrong, but doesn't[spoiler]Barnabas repeat Woodard's name after Dr. Lang says it?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yes.  Gothick must now say "Curses, foiled again!"  It was a nice theory while it lasted, though...   Barnabas may not have wanted Lang to know about his real secret he shared with Julia, and so went along with Lang's erratic and drunken suggestion of the name of his colleague, with whom he played Jarts in the town square every Wednesday.[/spoiler]

And for shame DL, splorting in mixed company.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »
I'm sure I don't know what came over me!  [santa_cheesy]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
Jerry Lacey’s acting is still not ringing my chimes. It is incredible to think that he will eventually become a scene-stealer in another role. Tony’s a gruff guy, eh? I don’t remember if he ever softens up. It will be interesting to see the changes in Lacey's Tony Peterson further down the pike. Peterson must have some sense of sympathy toward Hoffman because he puts up with quite a bit from her. I wonder if it’s all sympathy or if he believes her on some level. He states that he won’t pretend to understand what’s going on with her, so why is he “helping” her? Oh, yeah, she’s paying him - duh - but still.  Random observation: The 'papers' in Tony’s briefcase are blue.

I love the opening shot of Julia passing in front of TP’s shingle outside his office during the voiceover. Julia looks so put together for someone who is falling apart. Hall is using every physical trick in her book: The sniffling, nose rubbing, glove tugging, etc. and all while looking fabulous in her trench coat and perfectly placed matching scarf. Julia finally thinks of asking Sarah for help (I never thought of that!). Unfortunately, Sarah is not so inclined. That caught me by surprise. And her throwing Woodard up in Julia’s face was a surprise to me also. I expected Sarah to be sympathetic and understand the circumstances, well, I was hoping she would – but she’s just a (ghost) kid.

OMGoodness, Joel Crothers looks hunky in dark colors and a turtleneck & straightened hair. I enjoyed KLS (as per usual). I liked the whole Maggie/Joe/Julia scene. I think I enjoy the Maggie & Joe relationship so much because it represents normalcy. I felt a little cornfused about Julia blatantly talking about Sarah as a ghost but then Joe brought it up and put my puzzlement to rest -- I hadn’t remembered that everyone thinks Sarah is, or might be a ghost. I appreciated the “giggle” moment in the middle of all the heaviness when Maggie insists Joe go to the cemetery with Jules to look for Sarah and he reluctantly acquiesces, but mercifully Jules spares him of the chore. I very much liked the two scenes between Joe & Maggie after Julia leaves the Evans’ cottage. Everything moves along realistically and in character (IMO). I love it when Maggie gets the blank stare going while whimsically proclaiming eminent danger. What a difference in the writing as compared to yesterday's ep.

I have to mention that the print of this episode is beautiful. So much so, that I got a very strong sense of nostalgia, harkening back to watching the show on TV as a kid in the Sixties. It feels the same.

Is the caretaker really necessary in this episode? I have to wonder why writers write the things they do? ‘Why not?’ I guess. Julia’s gone through a whole lot 'today' to get absolutely nowhere, except to know that the notes are still safely tucked away.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 03:07:51 AM »
The Maggie voiceover makes me wonder if we will ever see the coffee shop again.  Joe says you need the help of a ghost? I particulary liked that line.  When she does find Sarah, Julia wonders if she can trust Barnabas?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times