Author Topic: Shelf life: Surprising finds at Rhode Island's libraries  (Read 925 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Shelf life: Surprising finds at Rhode Island's libraries
« on: March 10, 2005, 07:31:03 PM »
I knew there was more than one reason to love Newport, RI:

Shelf life: Surprising finds at Rhode Island's libraries

A quest for The Sopranos leads to surprising finds at Rhode Island's libraries

12:36 PM EST on Thursday, March 10, 2005

BY KATHERINE IMBRIE
Journal Staff Writer

From all that has been written and said about the Internet and the wonders of the Web, you might conclude that actual physical libraries -- with stacks of books, racks of magazines, and shelves of DVDs and videotapes -- are deader than Ralphie on The Sopranos or Nathaniel Fisher on Six Feet Under.

But you would be wrong. Hopscotching around the state on a recent scattershot tour of its libraries (more on why later), I saw most of them humming, albeit quietly, with activity.

A few favorites

For an old city, Newport has a modern, brick box of a library (on Spring Street, just off Memorial Boulevard). But it is well-used and well-supplied, with an especially strong collection of audio books. It also has the distinction of owning a complete collection of videos of the 1960s horror classic TV show, Dark Shadows. (Some exteriors for the series were filmed in Newport.)[/b]

You can read the full story about how you can search for treasures at your own local libraries here.
(Free registration required)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Shelf life: Surprising finds at Rhode Island's libraries
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:15:39 PM »
I wonder if the library in Tarrytown can make the same claim?  :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 11:23:47 PM »
Nope....a request of the Warner Library indicates no copies of the VHS tapes...nor the DVD's.

Way to go, Newport!!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 05:13:17 PM »
Nope....a request of the Warner Library indicates no copies of the VHS tapes...nor the DVD's.

Way to go, Newport!!!

I agree! But I would think that Tarrytown would be interested in having copies of the two films a least since they both involved filming at one of their historical landmarks.  That seems fairly significant to me. 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 12:43:24 AM »
I did a search at my own library, and I was able to nab some old VHS. They are collections 6, 7, and 8 covering

[spoiler]from when Maggie attempted to kill Barnabas to Julia's introduction.[/spoiler]

Nice to see the real show again. :)