Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0720  (Read 1441 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0720
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:27:24 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0720
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »
Quentin hears from Magda that a woman whose name begins with J will kill him, and first he goes and tells Judith not to kill him, and then he goes and accuses Barnabas of putting Magda up to it.  What did he really think?

Jenny is an unfailingly satisfying madwoman.  Every expression on her face is wonderful to watch.  And there's never any doubt that she is completely capable of killing Quentin.

Strange encounter at the Old House between Barnabas and Dirk.  Was Barnabas following Dirk to the cottage?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:21:05 AM »
Quentin is dead and not in the west wing so history is changed and the job should be done, but no Barnabs decides QUentin must not die in this way.  It makes no sense.   I wish  they would have done a flashback to show how Quentin and Jenny met and ended up at Collinwood. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:32:42 AM »
I think Barnabas wanted a Quentin who did not die violently and would not become an embittered ghost.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
Quentin hears from Magda that a woman whose name begins with J will kill him, and first he goes and tells Judith not to kill him, and then he goes and accuses Barnabas of putting Magda up to it.  What did he really think?

Unfortunately, I can relate as I've gone through some wild emotions too after visits to psychics or "fortune tellers"-- vacillating on what parts can be believed, wondering if I've missed some part of the puzzle, and pondering how to change certain predictions once I know about them.  And now that I've watched eps of The Mentalist and peeked at Psych (and even Lie to Me), I have yet another perspective on some of those readings, but that's another subject.

Was Barnabas following Dirk to the cottage?

I think so.  Dirk should stick to being rude because he sucks at lying.

Quentin is dead and not in the west wing so history is changed and the job should be done, but no Barnabs decides QUentin must not die in this way.  It makes no sense.

In Barnabas' mind, that isn't his job.  He thinks his mission is to learn what happened in this time to cause the events in the future, which can't happen with this huge change to history.  It's not the greatest rationalization, I agree, but Barn's way of thinking is often different from yours or mine.  ::)

I wish  they would have done a flashback to show how Quentin and Jenny met and ended up at Collinwood.

That would've been great!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »
but Barn's way of thinking is often different from yours or mine.  ::)

Or at least 99% of the rest of the world.  [snow_wink]  [snow_rolleyes]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 04:22:08 AM »
Marie is so wonderful as Jenny. Vulnerable, loving, needy, but ready to snap in an instant.  That scene with her and Quentin is excellent for character development, not through what's said but what's shown with the two of them.  Jenny is a kaleidoscope of various emotions.  And Quentin must have had the dual shocks of his life.  He thinks she left after he ran off. Now not only is she there, but she's there and unbalanced-- and though we don't know yet, HE knows she has reason to REALLY not like him very much, even if she were sane.

A lot is said in the looks and body language of the two.  He's very gentle and careful not to rattle her (sure smarter than Dirk in that respect), but you can see him getting more and more nervous as he sees how unstable she is. Wonder if he connected the woman who was to kill him and the letter J?   That bit with the kiss, not sure if he doesn't want to kiss her, or is scared to?  Yes the suspense was necesssary, but it would have been interesting to see how long the fencing went on before he made the misstep that made her snap.

Dirk and the knife and Barnabas walking in was right out of every grade B detective story --with the only exception  being Dirk actually had the brains to NOT pull the knife out and have it in his hand when Barnabas opened the door.  [angel12] [angel4]

Good points everyone made about the various reasons Barnabas might have had for keeping on, despite history changing.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »
This episode was when Quentin and Jenny finally met again, and when she killed him. Also, this was when we found out that Jenny was Quentin's - and not Edward's - wife. [milestone] Excellent episode! Marie was fantastic as "Crazy Jenny"! Selby's portrayal of Quentin's surprise, fear of, and gentleness towards Jenny were great, too. [clap2] I think it's pretty obvious that he would have figured out that the "J" was Jenny. One discrepancy that I noticed, though, was that Magda just told him the day before that he was going to die, during the full moon in two days. That was incorrect - it happened much sooner than that. [signerror]

I enjoyed the scenes between Dirk and Barnabas at the Old House. Dirk slipped and said, "They might have found her by now," when he had just lied that it was Jamison - a him - who was missing. Of course, Barnabas followed Dirk to the cottage. [easter_rolleyes]

I, too, would have loved a flashback showing how Quentin and Jenny got together. It's a shame that didn't happen. [easter_undecided]

I wonder, if Beth had been the one with Jenny instead of Dirk, would she have hit Beth over the head and escaped? [easter_huh] After all, Beth and Jenny had a good rapport with each other, Jenny liked Beth (and Beth cautiously liked Jenny), and Beth didn't seem to be too afraid of her. [winkg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
Maybe Quentin still thought that Magda was trying to punish him for using Jamison in his scheme against Barnabas. Still he
did take her warning about his impeding death very seriously that he can't rule out anyone. Maybe he believes it is Judith
but wants to think Barnabas has a part in it because of his dislike of him.

Beth says she doesn't believe Jenny could hurt anyone which I feel is very foolish of her. In Jenny's mental state she's capable of ANYTHING (yes, Beth, even violence). I admire Beth for her concern for Jenny's welfare but have to shake my head at her for her naivete in thinking Jenny can't possibly hurt anyone even as she is now.

I can't really say as to whether or not Jenny would have knocked Beth out like she did Dirk. Possibly not. She likes Beth and
trusts her. She doesn't know Dirk at all, she's not used to him like she is Beth. But as I've said, Jenny is quite unpredictable.
Being Jenny's friend may or may not have made any difference for Beth if she had gone to Jenny instead of Dirk.

Barnbas knew Dirk was lying about Jamison from the way Dirk was behaving. That's why Barnabas followed him to the cottage. Dirk was not a very convincing liar. Another strike against him for being let in on Jenny's secret.