Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #(0110_)0111  (Read 1441 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #(0110_)0111
« on: December 05, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #(0110_)0111
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:31:56 PM »
I actually felt bad for Vicky today - a rare occurrence!  I couldn't see any way for her to stop Matthew from killing her.  There were some dishes in a dishrack by the sink, and I thought about breaking one to create a sharp edge, or alternatively maybe there was a sharp knife there too - but I didn't think that would stop Matthew.

Hearing the story of how Bill Malloy met his death, I wonder about the rock he struck his head on.  He died in a few feet of water, and I doubt he would have hit an underwater rock hard enough to kill him, but I guess the rock could have been sticking up above the water.

We learned more about the geography of Collinwood today.  There's a back road to town, which surprised me, but then, we learned not too long ago that Collinwood is two and a half miles from Collinsport, which is long enough for there to be a back road.

Joan Bennett is very good at pretending she's looking off into the distance, when in reality there's no distance for her to look off into.  When she looks out the drawing room window, I can imagine the great outdoors that Elizabeth is seeing.  She also sometimes looks down as she looks out the window, suggesting that the ground is considerably lower there than it is at the front door, but later on we'll be disabused of that notion.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
If it was low tide when Bill went off the cliff, any number of suitably jagged rocks could have been sticking up out of the water.

We know there's a back entrance to the Great House, so maybe the back road to town starts there.

Nice work by Thayer David in this ep. as I recall.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
When she looks out the drawing room window, I can imagine the great outdoors that Elizabeth is seeing.  She also sometimes looks down as she looks out the window, suggesting that the ground is considerably lower there than it is at the front door, but later on we'll be disabused of that notion.

I keep noticing that her look implies they're not on the ground floor.   **  I didn't notice the reference to the back road, but I'll remember it now...  I think Matthew wanted any way out of killing VW that he could find.  He didn't need to spend half an hour debating with her, he could have just done it.    She should have said, let's meet with ECS's lawyers, and get the best deal for you, considering that Malloy was an accident.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:01:54 PM »
We know there's a back entrance to the Great House, so maybe the back road to town starts there.
My impression is that the only entrance to the estate is through the gates,and that the back road is between the gates and town.  But as far as I can remember, there's no right or wrong in this matter.

I think Matthew wanted any way out of killing VW that he could find.  He didn't need to spend half an hour debating with her, he could have just done it.    She should have said, let's meet with ECS's lawyers, and get the best deal for you, considering that Malloy was an accident.
Vicky did say that if she believed it was an accident, then Sheriff Patterson would too.  I don't think Matthew was amenable to outside reason at this point.  He didn't want to kill Vicky, but I don't think he was capable of seeing any alternative.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
Vicky did say that if she believed it was an accident, then Sheriff Patterson would too.  I don't think Matthew was amenable to outside reason at this point.  He didn't want to kill Vicky, but I don't think he was capable of seeing any alternative.

It seemed to me that after a certain point, Vicki started humoring Matthew, and not in a subtle way.   She started saying things that even Matthew could tell made little sense.   Matthew may be simple, but he lives in the real world of practicalities, and he knows that Vicki believing doesn't mean the sheriff will, and that the sheriff doesn't drop cases on the spot based on his feeling of belief.   I don't think Matthew was beyond reason.   I think Vicki destroyed her credibility with him.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »
Matthew's determination to kill Vickie as she tries to change his mind makes for an exciting episode. I always wonder what someone who was watching these in the original run thought.  Were they surprised that Matthew turned out to be the killer.  For someone who is protray ed as being rather simple, Matthew counters  Vickie's arguments quite nicely.  He says he will hide the body.  Going from accidental killer  to rather cold blooded murderer.  Though when he tried to chock Burke in an earlier episode, it seemed, that he would have been successful except for being pulled off.   Now he is pondering the best way to kill Vickie.  She should suggest he go get some of Elizabeth's sedatives and give her a drug overdose.  Then the great Lady herself show up in the nick of time.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times