Author Topic: Dark Shadows Vol. 1: The Beginings  (Read 1430 times)

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows Vol. 1: The Beginings
« on: December 28, 2007, 06:11:45 AM »
i FINALLY was able to buy this yesterday! at best buys. how many of you haven't got it yet? i haven't watched too much of it yet. I'm ONLY on Episode #2 & i gotta admit it feels odd to have the 1st episodes on DVD when i have the later episodes on disc. ya know? anyways one ? i thought they had audio commentary on it? or is that another set? by the actress who played Vicki Winters.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows Vol. 1: The Beginings
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:26:08 PM »
b.

dvd collection one should have a series introduction by alexandra moltke isles(victoria)as well as a collinsport history read by kathryn leigh scott(maggie).

there is additional commentary by alexandra and other members of the cast and crew throughout the collection.

if your set doesn't include these i would contact mpi.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:46:32 PM »
well what episodes have commentary? i'm only on Disc 1 & so far they don't at least to my knowledge  & really
read by our Maggie Evans ? i haven't seen it yet. buut again i am only on disc one. & i'm about to start episode #5

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 12:03:31 AM »
The commentaries that you're thinking of are probably in the form of the interviews at the end of discs 2-4. Because of the introduction by AMI on the first disc, the interview at the end was left off. So check out those interviews for the commentaries that you're thinking of.

If you're thinking of commentaries in the sense of a commentary today, where the person watches the program and then talks about it, which you hear while watching the episode or movie, I don't think those exist on any DS DVD.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 05:54:29 AM »
actually Brandon that's EXACTLY what i was thinking of.  those interviews are just that interviews, NOT audio commentary's. least in my eyes. there IS a difference ya know? anyways as for vol. 2 in the standard version , has EVERYONE received it? i lost the receipt & soo i am pretty much screwed in contacting MPI about it. cause i got mine like early this year i think?

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 08:14:21 AM »
I read a thread on "The Internet Movie Data Base"i think it was on? the other nite & stated that in the early episodes such as these in this set. the acting is MUCH Better than the later episodes. & ya know what? i think i have to agree with that statement as MUCH as i HATE to admit it ya know? it just always seems to me & feels to me THAT some of the casting later on during the shows run a LOT of bad choices were made in it's casting.

the woman who plays "Laura Collins" I'm sorry i cringe at her acting. in some scenes she's decent buut in others i just want to cringe., "Marie Wallace" same thing, sometimes gives a decent performance buut NOT always. "David Selby" NEVER gave a bad performance though.  [santa_thumb] anyways i'll keep THAT short i'm just curious on what people think on this subject. do people agree with me on the acting? that in the early years it is a LOT better than the later years? or is it just me? it also let me adds depends on the actor/actress & the scene.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »
by the way no disrespect peeps. going back on this set that i started my thread on, he he did anyone notice on the back of the back that it says the episodes are in black & white & COLOR? i think THAT"s a misprint unless they are counting the interviews with Our "Vicki Winters" other than that i think it's funny as hell. he he

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 04:24:29 PM »
did anyone notice on the back of the back that it says the episodes are in black & white & COLOR? i think THAT"s a misprint unless they are counting the interviews with Our "Vicki Winters" other than that i think it's funny as hell. he he
That probably refers to the special edition of episode 1 on the collection that includes the commerical spots originally aired, most, if not all, of which, were indeed in color...
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:54:34 PM »
oh, well i haven't watched that one yet. just the one without the commerical's thanxs though!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »
b.

the acting in the early episodes was quite good because i think the pacing was slower and the plots more realistic(to say the least)then they were in later years.

later on when the pacing becomes extremely frenetic and the plotlines outlandish it was probably harder for the actors to absorb the material as easily.

that said there are moments of acting genius throughout the series for me.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
Regarding acting: the first few episodes with Laura weren't all that good but I have to say that she ended up being excellent the rest of the way through.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf