Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0656  (Read 1514 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0656
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0656
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:09:27 PM »
Barnabas walks downstairs Collinwood's staircase, looking sad (and spiffy) in a three-piece gray suit.
Yes indeed, quite spiffy!

Random weirdnesses today - or anyway, apparently random weirdnesses.  It's hard to tell what came from where.  I got the impression that the call to the undertaker was made by David, under Quentin's influence, but I find it hard to believe that David could manage to make his voice sound grown-up, even over the phone.  Maybe David and Amy dialed and Quentin talked?  And what was the point?  Apparently more was supposed to happen, but Barnabas wasn't playing along.  Was the idea to get Elizabeth embalmed so she would be really dead and permanently out of the way?  But dead people are never out of the way at Collinwood, and how could Quentin be sure that Elizabeth's ghost wouldn't come back and join forces with Magda against him?  I prefer the theory that Quentin just wanted to have a little fun at Barnabas's expense, but if that was the idea, then why were David and Amy worried that Quentin would be mad when Barnabas sent the undertaker away?

Incidentally, is it legal in Maine to bury somebody without having an undertaker involved?  Of course Barnabas and Willie didn't check in with an undertaker when they buried Jason McGuire, but they weren't worrying about the law at that point.

Why was it that the song Amy played on the piano was London Bridge Is Falling Down?  Sarah's gone until she decides Barnabas has met her high standards of goodness (no, come to think of it, she got fed up with the rest of the present-day Collinses as well), but I cannot believe that the choice of song was random.  Was it that Amy asked what she should play, and David, under stress, couldn't think of anything but Sarah's song?

Why couldn't anybody get hold of Roger in London?  Did Quentin jimmy the phone so that when Barnabas thought he was talking to a hotel clerk in London he was actually talking to Quentin?

How did Vicky's things get back into the closet?  (By the way, I love the way Maggie talked about Vicky's "things".  So colloquial.)  Was this Vicky's doing, or Quentin's, or Sarah's?  Or was Barnabas so upset about Vicky's disappearance that he did it without knowing it? 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »
It is a puzzlement, or several.   The random supernatural grab-bag mentality hadn't quite gone away yet.

I'm going to guess that the main legal thing after a death is for the police to check everything out, then after that things get looser.   If it was seen as out of the ordinary, a quick call to whatever Sheriff Patterson happened to be in at the time would have smoothed over everything, considering who they were.

Who was Amy playing for?  Maggie?  London Bridge would have been a great taunt for her if so.   Q probably knows about Sara.

[candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull] [skull_winks]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 12:13:07 AM »
I wondered too why Barnabas hadn't been able to get a hold of Roger. Certainly Roger would have let the family know where he was staying if they needed to get ahold of him.

I think it was Vicki's 'ghost' who put the things back in her closet. I think Mrs. Johnson was only half-right...Vicki was trying to contact them, but I don't think it was because she wanted to come back. We saw how desperate she was to be reunited with Peter.

As for Amy playing the London Bridge song...I think in this case it was just a coincidence. London Bridge is a popular song.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:05 AM »
My guess is that the evil tots replaced Vicki's dresses.

Incidentally, is it legal in Maine to bury somebody without having an undertaker involved?

Apparently it is, according to this Maine funeral home site:  http://www.bragdonkelley.com/faqs.htm

However, I'm pretty sure some type of death certificate is required everywhere.  Which is what I assume Barnabas is reading when Mrs. Johnson enters.  It looks like the outer paper might have Dead or Death in black letters; does anyone know if that's what it says?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:42:39 AM »
I didn't look closely at the document but assumed it said "Deed" and was Elizabeth's will.

My guess is that the evil tots replaced Vicki's dresses.
It's a logical conclusion, but I'm not 100% convinced.  For one thing, in the next episode David and Amy didn't smirk insufferably about Vicky's clothes.  For another, it would have involved a lot of work on their part, bringing the box up from the basement, not to mention sweating anytime anybody walked past Maggie's room.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:42:47 AM »
I didn't look closely at the document but assumed it said "Deed" and was Elizabeth's will.

Ah, I'm sure you're right.  Thank you!

It's a logical conclusion, but I'm not 100% convinced.  For one thing, in the next episode David and Amy didn't smirk insufferably about Vicky's clothes.  For another, it would have involved a lot of work on their part, bringing the box up from the basement, not to mention sweating anytime anybody walked past Maggie's room.

I don't recall that Maggie, Barnabas, or Mrs. J ever told the kids about the reappearance of Vicki's possessions, so maybe they didn't smirk because they didn't know about it?

I'm thinking that if the writers intended us to believe that Vicki put the dresses back and Quentin, being Quentin, knew about it, and so his ghost advised the kids to act as if that happened to them, I still can't buy that Vicki could orchestrate moving a box upstairs from the basement and putting the contents back in their original location, all while her physical self is in the past. [spoiler]Making a note cross over or opening a music box lid... they just seem like simpler tasks to perform while in another time, lol.[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
Midnite, you're probably right: the writers wanted us to understand that the tots toted the togs - but I still have trouble believing it.  And that's the sort of thing that makes Dark Shadows great.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 02:01:35 AM »
I don't get that Barnabas decides where the children go? Shouldn't he have discussed any details with Roger and Chris.

BTW, who is the legal guardian of Amy. ??
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:05:08 AM »
This was the episode during which Mr. Jarrett called Barnabas, "Mr. Jonathan". [milestone] I found that quite amusing! [hall_cheesy]

The knowing smiles that Amy and David displayed towards each other were very scary! Quentin made them so evil!  [devil]

I thought it was neat that Amy knew Elizabeth wasn't really dead! I wonder if she knew that herself or if Quentin told her? [ghost_huh]

That was quite a trick for David and Amy to play on the adults with the clothes appearing back in the closets. It's obvious to us, the audience, that they were lying about the clothes. They were so convincing and such good liars!  [hall_rolleyes]

Poor Barnabas! [hall2_cry] I felt sorry for him. He felt so bad, he told Mrs. Johnson and Maggie to destroy Vicki's clothes and Josette's music box. I'm glad that they weren't destroyed. It's interesting how Barnabas transferred his feelings from Josette to Vicki. He didn't mention Josette at all when he saw the music box.  [hall2_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 02:02:52 AM »
Isn't David susposed to inherit Collinwood. He is ECS heir. Maybe Quentin wanted David to take control of the house earlier, than he was susposed to.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 06:27:25 AM »
ya know what would be interesting? to see the family today IF they did do what Collinwood would be like today. IF only soo many of the cast wasn't either Retired or passed on. ya know? i would LOVE to see what Roger, Elizabeth & lord knows who else would be like today. & the ONLY reason i mention that cause of remark that was just made on David inheriting Collinwood. you are correct since he's the only child that we know of, well at least that i know of to inherit it. buut anyways it's been awhile since i last saw this episode. i'm actually in the middle of watching the "Jason McGuire" era soo i'm a tad behind this episode. he he. buut i thought i'd comment on this one never the less. one question on the mistakes in the show, what episode is it that someone farts in?

since we are also talking about mistakes the cast makes in lines. he he.