Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0363  (Read 775 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0363
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:19:46 AM »
Robservations - #363

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0363

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
One of my all-time favorite episodes!

They reshot the teaser so Tony could wear his Bogart fedora as well as his trenchcoat. Carolyn is at her all-time worst here. She is so enslaved to Barnabas that she is willing to smear her beloved mother just to get the notebook.

Julia gets Carolyn's story out of Tony. Grimly she tells him, It isn't true. The notebook isn't about some ordinary scandal, but about something far more dangerous and devastating. If you like, I’ll write a letter authorizing you to read the notebook if anything happens to me. That's enough to convince him that whatever the real story is, Julia is no blackmailer, and he agrees to keep the notebook.

David is back from his trip to Boston with Vicki. He's wandering around disconsolately when Sarah appears to him, and they have their cutest, most delightful conversation in the series. But suddenly she says, Something bad is happening at the Old House. Unlike other times, when the camera simply turned away, she disappears before our eyes.

Julia has apparently decided that she has nothing left to lose. In one of the most powerful scenes in the series, she goes to the Old House and with massive understatement tells Barnabas that this isn't a social call. After some mutual name-calling, she plays her ace. Tauntingly she tells him that she has seen Sarah--and he hasn't. Julia says, She’s lonely, very lonely. She’ll talk to anyone--anyone but you. Don’t talk to me that way! Barnabas warns her, his fury growing. Anyone but you, Julia repeats triumphantly, looking straight at him. Before she can get away, Barnabas seizes her by the throat, shouting, No more words, Doctor! You’ve done as much-- Suddenly the front door is blown open by a rushing wind. The chandelier swings back and forth violently. Barnabas drops his intended victim in surprise. The unconscious Julia slumps to the floor as Barnabas hesitantly moves toward the door, knowing what he will see, on the knife edge between fear and longing. Sure enough, Sarah stands gazing up at her brother, silent but very, very angry. Barnabas at last hears "my fair lady" in D minor....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
I forgot that this scene comes from this period.   Too bad it's embedded in this difficult-to-watch stretch, because it is one of the big DS moments.   I want to say it's an original device, the dead child shaming the monster, but as with everything else in DS, I suppose I'll find out they lifted that from somewhere, too.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
Interesting thought, MT. No other examples come to mind, but you could be right.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:25:13 AM »
Wow, Sarah finally appears to Barnabas and it's not even a Friday!

I was a bit taken aback by Tony's rough handling of Carolyn in the opening scene. For once, we get a scene of substance between Barrett & Lacey. I was going to say that it is interesting that the scene is based on a lie but then I realized that all of Carolyn's time with Tony is based on a lie. I ended up disappointed that Tony believed her BS. I think it is a bit out of character but perhaps being a sucker for a beautiful dame with a sob story is giving us a glimpse into his true nature. Barrett's performance is good, Lacey's is still lacking.

I'm glad Julia quickly convinced Tony (let's hope, once & for all) to stay on her side and keep the 'book' safe. I can't stand lengthy & boring soap opera games of hot potato.

I was surprised that Sarah showed up to David in the foyer. I wonder if she is tied to Collinsport? Could she have appeared to David at aunt Catherine's in Boston? I was even more surprised that Sarah sensed the danger at the Old House before it happened. I loved the (fabulously written) scene with Barnabas & Julia at the Old House. Grayson killed it and Frid was excellent too - a great build-up to Sarah's appearance.

Yeah, DarkLady, Sarah looked none too pleased, lol.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 04:03:10 AM »
Carolyn concocts a fictional film noir story to charm the bedazzled lawyer and of course he falls for it. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »
She does indeed, and if she could just hear herself, Carolyn would be horrified at her willingness to drag her mother's name through the mud just to make Barn happy.