Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1159  (Read 1093 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1159
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1159
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »
More fine turns by Pennock and Edmonds as Gabriel tries to ingratiate himself with his father.

Welcome back, Barnabas! We get a nice view of his long, lean legs as he stares out the drawing-room windows. His scene with Daniel is pretty good too.

All those dreams are tiresome, but what's really scary is Gerard/Judah's seemingly infinite patience in stalking his prey.

A shocking finale!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:05:29 AM »
Welcome back, Barnabas! We get a nice view of his long, lean legs as he stares out the drawing-room windows.
Really?  Drat, I wasn't looking.  Instead I was thinking useless thoughts about camera operators and directors and Frid positioning himself to look as though he'd been standing there forever and "ACTION!"

We weren't left in suspense for long about who murdered Randall.  And we got the big reveal today that Gabriel can walk.  It was a great scene.  I keep wondering: what did Chris Pennock know and when did he know it?

Now that Gerard has tricked Angelique into believing that Quentin is Judah (and, whatever the consequences, it's fun to see Angelique beaten at her own game), we've got Barnabas and Angelique locking horns on whether Quentin is a fine man or an evil one.  Barnabas is such a good judge of character!  Again and again he knows who's naughty and who's nice.  Heaven forbid that our hero should suspect the wrong man.  But (and I think I've asked some version of this question before) how does he do it?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
It's pathetic to see Angelique so earnestly taken in by a witch (warlock) using witchcraft to put suspicion onto someone else, which she holds the patent on, I think.   Then there's the convenient, eternal cause for people making mistakes when they clearly know better: over-confidence.

Gerard should not have walked in just then.  He should have done something to let Ang know he was nowhere in the vicinity when she was looking into the fire.   But then, he got away with it.  Maybe a witch would know that you'd usually need equipment and audible incantations etc.. to do the spell, and he supposedly was too close to have done it all, in the foyer.

Yes Ang, Quentin gave the doll to Gerard, but Gerard owns it now, and since it's his, he's an obvious suspect.   Angelique herself is much better at this suspicion-shifting than Judah, yet all this works on her.

More and more, I see 1840 as some sort of timeline unconnected to "present" 1970 or 1971.   Sure, upon returning to 1971 B&J find history fixed, but what if 1995-summer '70-1840 was one big anomaly or temporal bubble for some reason, and they were returning to a 1971 in which none of that happened in the first place?   Or it's still early in 1970?   Then they could find the present safe and sound, without ever having really done anything in 1840 that affected the present, the "real" present.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
I suspect Gerard was so sure of himself--and so sure that Angelique didn't suspect him--that he felt perfectly confident about walking into the room. It would be consistent with his arrogance.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »
I like your idea a lot!  It would explain how 1840 couldn't possibly be connected to 1897 even in the original timeline.

More and more, I see 1840 as some sort of timeline unconnected to "present" 1970 or 1971.   Sure, upon returning to 1971 B&J find history fixed, but what if 1995-summer '70-1840 was one big anomaly or temporal bubble for some reason, and they were returning to a 1971 in which none of that happened in the first place?   Or it's still early in 1970?   Then they could find the present safe and sound, without ever having really done anything in 1840 that affected the present, the "real" present.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 01:07:51 AM »
It's pathetic to see Angelique so earnestly taken in by a witch (warlock) using witchcraft to put suspicion onto someone else, which she holds the patent on, I think.

Because she pulls the same sort of trick on others is exactly why I think it's poetic when it's done to her. I love when someone pulls the same sort of trick that she might pull on others and she falls for it. She's nowhere near as perceptive as she would like everyone to think she is. It always great to see that she has failings just like like every other character on the show. It would be amazingly boring if she didn't have them and if someone couldn't pull the wool over her eyes from time to time.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:16:18 AM »
Thanks joeytrom, though I think as an explanation it needs a lot of explaining.   I'm not really sure what I mean yet.   One thing:  I think it would have to involve something awfully weird having happened when B&J left Parallel Time, something weirder than they knew about that is...  and perhaps in "real" 1970 Hallie Stokes never existed.   It would make a giant mockery out of all the trouble Barnabas and Julia went through from 1995 on.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor