Author Topic: In the Name of the Father / a poll  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
In the Name of the Father / a poll
« on: June 15, 2002, 11:07:51 PM »
Happy Father's Day to all dads on the board, and to all our readers' fathers wherever they may be!

In honor of the special day, which DS character do you think made the best dad? And the worst?  Here are some ideas, though I probably missed somebody, and of course there were unseen fathers and father figures.  Have fun!

1960s & 70s:
Roger
Sam
Richard Garner
Dr. Lang (LOL)
Paul Stoddard
Philip Todd

1795:
Joshua
Reverend Trask

1897:
Quentin
Edward Collins

1970 P.T.:
Quentin Collins
Timothy Stokes

1840:
Daniel Collins
Quentin Collins
Gabriel Collins
Ben Stokes
Mordecai Grimes

1841 P.T.:
Justin Collins
Bramwell Collins

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
Re: In the Name of the Father / a poll
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2002, 11:19:20 PM »
Well...since I have seen so little of the series so far...I can only answer for the 1960's/70's and 1795.For the first one, i would have to say Sam Evans...he tries his best to make Maggie happy.Plus, when anything happens to her, he forgets his beers and whatever else he may be drinking and begins to worry about his daughter.For 1795, i would have to say Andre duPres.Even thought you didn't nominate him..i still think he was the best.(HOORAY! to David Ford for both of those roles!)...

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion. ;D

Adra ;D
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2002, 11:19:54 PM »
Great idea -- and recall! :)

I must be forgetting a lot, because I don't remember Bramwell Collins being a father in 1841 PT.  Unless he was a father-to-be ...

In 1840 if I remember correctly we see Ben Stokes as a grandfather but never learn directly of his wife and son/daughter ...

I have no idea whom Edward Collins was the father of in 1897 ...

Phillip Todd ... "adoptive" father?

:)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2002, 01:26:31 AM »
Richard Garner seemed to be on good terms with his son.  Of the Collins patriarchs, Edward and 1840 Quentin appeared to show true concern for their children.  Sam Evans could be friendly, but he also often shouted at Maggie, and was pretty rude to her during the Burke/blackmail story line.

Ben Stokes really seemed to have a way with children.  We saw how he befriended Daniel and Sarah in 1795, and his 1840 granddaughter Carrie was pretty fond of him.  My guess is that, even though we never saw him as a father, he must have made a pretty good one.

ProfStokes    

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2002, 02:56:13 AM »
Richard Garner is the one I would pick for my favorite father.  He just seemed to be beaming about his son, and his daughter too.

For the one I wouldn't pick......Reverend Trask.  Now he gives me the willies.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2002, 03:10:01 AM »
For the one I wouldn't pick......Reverend Trask.  Now he gives me the willies.

They didn't HAVE cloning in 1795....so how could Trask have become a father?[hdscrt]

Surely not in the USUAL manner?[nerv]

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2002, 05:18:20 AM »
I pick Quentin 1840 as a father and Ben Stokes as a grandfather(can't blame Carrie"s whine on him It seems to be all her own ::))

jennifer

and Rainey ReV did have a son but it is best not to think how :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2002, 05:25:24 AM »
I would have to vote for Sam Evens too.  Though sorry to say not much to pick over.  He was more real, he had many faults but still adored his daughter.  Richard Garner most likely would have been a good day I assume but we really didn't get to see too much of him.

Also agree that Andre duPres was also a caring father.  

The l795 group was really hurting.  

I can't voice an opinion on the rest.  l897 was a long time ago for me.  Don't remember how the "fathers" were with their children.

Quentin seemed to love his son in the 1970 parrell time story but you didn't seem to see them interacting that often.  He also neglected to keep in touch with him while in Europe.

l840 Quentin seemed to be better  He really seemed to love his son.  Stayed with Samatha because of Tad.

Glad my kids have a great Dad.  Even though my father has been gone for 13 years he is with me every day. I have many wonderful memories ones that fill me with laughter.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2002, 07:19:45 AM »
I'd have to nominate Barnabas as the "Crappy-Dad" of the year to Adam!

Even though Lang "invented" him, Barnabas' life force is in Adam....does this make him the "biological" father??"

Ouch, I'm thinking too hard.... [roll3]

As for best Dad, I *think* 1970 PT Quentin was okay to David/Daniel, or whatever his name was, especially since he was a widower at the time (before he married Maggie). Seems like there was a lot of love between the two, IIRC.
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2002, 08:44:58 AM »
From the Fathers I've seen on the show so far, I would have to say Sam Evans. Being a single parent must have been pretty hard for him and despite that, I felt that he did a good job at raising Maggie alone.  Yes, he had his faults, especially with the bottle and his occasional short temper tantrums, but considering how well Maggie turned out to be I think he must have done something right. He always seemed genuinely concerned about her and was always there when she needed him,which is more than I can say of some of the other Fathers on the show.

I know this sounds really strange, but I do feel that ole Joshua turned out to be not so bad at the end there.  Seeing those emotional scenes between him and Barnabas at the end showed me another side to him that he kept well hidden throughout the storyline.  When Barnabas lay there dying in his death bed, Joshua stayed by his bedside and you could see how his true emotions really came out.  After his son had died and came back as a vampire, in the end it was up to Joshua to do something about it. You could see how emotional torn up he was inside, especially when he tried to destroy his son with the silver bullets and found he just couldn't do it.  Also that last scene between father and son when they said goodbye forever to each other was heartbreaking to say the least. And you could see every ounce of it on Joshua's face.  Lastly, the saddest part is that it was way too late for Joshua to show any real love towards his son.

As for some of the worst Fathers, I think Gregory Trask would top my list!   [puke]     God only know what horrors he put his daughter Charity through growing up. The only times she seemed happy was when Barnabas had bitten her, and then later on when she was possessed by Pansy Faye. [crazd]

Good poll Midnite!   :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2002, 02:06:51 PM »
This is a wonderful idea, Midnite!  And may I wish a happy Father's Day (and birthday) to my husband and all other Daddies on the list and relate to thos on the list!

1960s & 70s:
Roger - Was a terrible father at first, worthy of a bleeder valve removal, but he improved with time, fortunately.

Sam - Although an alcoholic, Sam raised Maggie from childhood after her mother's death, and she is not only a good, strong woman but a loving daughter, too.  Sam did a great job despite his own problems.

Richard Garner - Seemed like a wonderful father, and Frank was certainly a chip off the old block.  Vicki could have done worse--and did!

Dr. Lang (LOL) - Adam would have written DADDY DEAREST ABOUT HIM--and Barnabas--when he knew enough words!

Paul Stoddard - A terrible father, basically selling his own child to the Leviathans and letting Liz think she killed him all these years.  He tried hard when he came back, but he's still an SOB in my book--yet Carolyn mourned his death.

Philip Todd - Not bad, considering he was foster father to a group of terror tots--and let's face it, Jeb was just plain BAD!  But I liked Philip, and I think he'd have done a great job if he and Megan started from scratch with their own offspring.

1795:

Joshua - Too little, too late.  He loved his kids but didn't show it until it was too late.  Very sad man with kids who felt unloved.

Reverend Trask - He'd have planted the seed and gone on his merry way--horrible man, awful father!  Yet Lamar wanted to avenge his disappearance!

Andre duPres - Loving if mostly absent father.  Very practical man who seemed to feel love was rather silly.

1897:

Quentin - Loving but neglectful.  Too obsessive about Jamison.

Edward Collins - Meant well, but too formal and fussy--not enough fun.

1970 P.T.:

Quentin Collins - Eh.  Didn't much like this version of Quentin, too loud and unreasonable--and those clothes!!

Timothy Stokes - Sicko.  God knows what he did with Angelique, his step-daughter!

1840:

Daniel Collins - He murdered his wife--how good a father could he have been?

Quentin Collins - He hit his wife when she said he wasn't Tad's father, and he seemed to love his son desperately.  

Gabriel Collins - Another sicko, probably glad his kids were away at boarding school so he didn't have to see them--and I always wondered how he was able to father them, given his original, real injury.

Ben Stokes - a sweetheart adored by his granddaughter and probably his kids, too.

Mordecai Grimes - Meant well, but loud and obnoxious.  

1841 P.T.:

Justin Collins - Hard to tell, since we only see him after he's been in the lottery room, but Melanie adored him and so did his wife, so he was undoubtedly a good man.

Bramwell Collins -  He'd have been a wonderful father, I suspect, and would have given Catherine a nice big brood of babies.

Love, Robin

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2002, 03:34:44 PM »
POSSIBLE SPOILER.............

Both of my awards go to 1970PT.  Quentin Collins wins for Best Dad.  It just seemed to me that he had a loving relationship with his son Daniel; that photo in Mrs. Angelique Collins' bedroom of pop and son together set the stage for that.  Professor Timothy E. Stokes gets the nod for worst old-man.  True, look at all he did for his lovely daughter Angelique, but what did Daddie Dearest do for his other daughter Alexis?  Parents, in moments of frustration, will say:  "I'm going to kill that kid", but he was being more than just figurative.

Gerard

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2002, 01:10:59 AM »
All of them are unforunately deplorable fathers. .the only one who remotely seemed worthy was Justin Collins in 1841 PT but we saw so little of him . .i'm sure they'd thought up something horrible for Justin if the show wasn't about to go off the air. . .
Julia99

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2002, 04:02:20 AM »
I'll have to agree w/Julia99 in that the whole lot of them were deplorable.
Roger: Horrible to David in the beginning and wanted to get rid of him;
Sam: An alcoholic bribe-taker whose daughter had to work and take care of him instead of the other way around;
Richard Garner: May qualify but next to nothing is known about him;
Dr. Lang (LOL): LOL indeed; not really a dad
Paul Stoddard: Abysmal! Promised his daughter to the Leviathans;
Philip Todd: Again, not really a father, but that little Leviathan brat needed a good spanking;

Joshua - Cold and heartless until everyone around him had died;
Reverend Trask - No evidence of fathering (aside from his descendents) but one can guess how evil this man was w/his children;

Quentin - Didn't even know he was a father until too late; was too busy chasing after skirts to be a responsible man;
Edward Collins - Almost as cold as Joshua and foolish enough to marry the Phoenix;

Quentin Collins (1840) again, a skirt chaser who ran off for high sea adventures and nearly got his kid drowned in the process;

Daniel Collins - Hated his son Gabriel w/a passion;
Gabriel Collins - Children sent off to boarding school so he and Edith wouldn't have to be bothered by them;
Mordecai Grimes - Cruel, unusual & escpecially cranky with his son Jeremy;

Justin Collins - Insane
Bramwell Collins - never got a chance to find out (that we saw)

The only ones who stood a chance at being good dads were perhaps Ben Stokes, though we saw nothing of his family side except for his granddaughter Carrie (blech!) and maybe Burke Devlin if in fact he had been David's biological father.

Offline liz_collins

• Where are my pearls?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2002, 04:18:00 AM »
:) I have to agree with most everyone.  None of these men are the prefect dads.  But if I had to pick one it would be Sam Evans.  Drunk or not he truely loved Maggie , and really tried at times to be good to her.  The worst would be Rev Trask. yuck :P
Oh, Roger!