Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0189  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0189
« on: April 13, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0189
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:07:13 AM »
I was surprised to see that Vicky went out to dinner with Burke.  Didn't she say she wasn't going to see him again?  Maybe the temporary truce between Burke and Roger made her overlook that, or maybe she didn't consider this to be a real date.  Or maybe she simply forgot, because things just seem comfortable between her and Burke.  it's a very nice acting job on Mitchell Ryan's part: all the abrasiveness that Burke shows when dealing with everybody else just evaporates when he's dealing with Vicky.

Oh, gosh, how I loved seeing Mrs. Johnson dealing with David today!  How would David ever have escaped from her if Vicky hadn't called?  It amuses me, of course, that it was Vicky's phone call that provided David with his opportunity, but I concede that I'm sure David would have found a way even if Vicky hadn't called.  Maybe he would have knocked Mrs. Johnson out with his crystal ball.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:28:31 PM »
Vicki's awfully nice, staying up all night with David.   The potential energy of that crystal ball on the windowsill always makes me a bit nervous...   They had a little trouble with the DS logo, appearing and disaappearing, as if they were unsure at first what the name of the show really was.  I'd love to see, for a couple of seconds, the logo for "The Guiding Light" appear suddenly over the shadow of Collinwood, by accident!

At the diner, they went to the trouble of creating street noises when the outer door was opened off camera... then as the inner door opened and the outer one closed, we heard the street noise stop.  I'm glad they did that.   Until Burke sat on a stool, I was convinced I was looking at Joe.  Why?  Can you literally see what you're expecting to see, instead of what's there?

Joel Crothers was gold.  When you have an actor who plays an amiable, nice guy interestingly, hold on to him.  I like it when you can see the gears turning in the character's head, such as when Joe's trying to bring to consciousness the reason 3 AM seems so important.

Suddenly the fishing trip's local, not at a lodge near Canada.

PLEASE, Mrs. Johnson, let me do my homework!!!   Just one math problem!!!   PLEASE!!!!

Suddenly Mitch isn't so wide in the shoulders.   Maybe they were widening them by padding his jackets, like they did later with 1840 Quentin.

Oh, no!   David's escaped from under Mrs. J's eagle eye!   She's about to lose both paychecks!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »
It was very nice to see Joe (great job, as usual, by Joel Crothers) thinking through the whole time business.

Color me naive, but I didn't realize they were padding the shoulders of Quentin's jackets in 1840. (But I suppose that in 1840, they were actually doing this anyway.) I'll have to try to remember to look out for it!

For once Vicki is relaxed and can enjoy her dinner with Burke. She even regales him with yet another foundling-home story, but he's only glad to see her at ease.

I'm with you, Lydia--I'm sure David would have found some way to sneak out of the house. Fortunately for all concerned, his room seems to be one of the few that does NOT have a moveable panel that opens onto a secret passage.  [easter_smiley]

Watching Project

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
The (abbreviated) "Robservations" caps have been posted.  [easter_smiley]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »
No footage of  Laura getting on the bus, just the sound of it pulling away from the diner. They must have told Clairice to spend so many minutes searching the rather barren room for David and calling his name so that the time would equal a full show. It looked ridiculous.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »
How did Joe come to realize they miscalculated the day that David was to be burned? I don’t have these episodes on tape and the summary was pretty vague.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
When Joe races out of the Blue Whale, he goes to the town records office--who knew they were open in the evenings?? But when he returns to the BW, he tells the others that he checked Laura Radcliff's death certificate--which says that Laura died at 2:30 A.M.. So tonight is the night they have to worry.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
This is probably one of those things I'd get easily, if I didn't have a nervous system that's going haywire, devastating my memory/concentration on most things.   It's at least true that there's a mix-up between dates because people think of the wee hours both as the night and the morning.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:53:38 PM »
Sorry to hear it, MT, and wishing you a positive outcome.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
When Joe races out of the Blue Whale, he goes to the town records office--who knew they were open in the evenings??
I think it was still daytime when Joe got his idea about the dates; it happened in the coffeeshop when Maggie was talking about how her father slept so soundly last night, knowing that Laura was leaving, and a turn in the conversation got Joe to thinking about the thin line between last night and early this morning.  But even if it was evening, I figure Joe had a friend in the town records office who opened up for him.  After all, Collinsport's a small town.