Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0184  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0184
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0184
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Guthrie asked Laura if she was good or evil.  I like that he didn't assume that she was evil and that Josette was good.

David was a nice, friendly little boy today - nothing like the kid whose first words to Vicky were, "I hate you!"  And Roger's turning into a fond father.  As far as I can tell, the only possible reason for the change in the two of them is Laura's beneficial presence.  Unfortunately, nobody at Collinwood is ever going to think about this.  Elizabeth isn't around, Carolyn is too self-absorbed, Vicky was blithely, obstinately, and stupidly blind to the previous awfulness of Roger and David, and Mrs. Johnson never saw Roger and David at their worst.  So Laura will never get credit for two remarkable transformations.  It says something truly heartwarming about family values that the return of a wife and mother made the father-son relationship blossom like a sweet-smelling rose.

Did anybody else think David should have been calling Josette "Lassie" as she pointed the way for him to go to save the day?  And exactly how does she expect David to save the day, anyway?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Dr. Guthrie knows exactly how to appeal to David in getting him to the Old House for the . He tells him, Miss Winters is going to take you someplace tonight, but you can’t tell anyone. It’s a surprise, he adds for good measure. David is immediately hooked.

I'm not sure either how Josette thought David could help Dr. Guthrie, but it's a good thing David snuck in that third piece of pie!

I think Laura's influence on Roger and David is just another instance of the Law of Unintended Consequences. And I've always thought it was good writing that Vicki isn't omniscient about everything that goes on at Collinwood and that some things happen far outside her frame of reference.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »
I knew there was a joke there, Lydia, when Josette just stood there pointing, but I never got there.  I was thinking about David's apparent, utter inability to get what a pointing finger means... much as with dogs, I think.  Our family dog would just stand there, sniffing the end of your index finger, wondering what the frustrated human noises were all about...

Diana Millay held the slate this time, with a nice pregnant smile...   Guthrie cares slightly more about knowing the undead (Laura, face-to-face in her cottage) than he does about the prospect of possibly becoming one of the dead, because of his nosing around, by which point he could probably get a few of his questions answered anyway...  I like Dr. Guthrie here in this scene, for the first time.   It's very sad, as if he knows something bad's going to happen.   I wonder if he has a history of playing it safe, over and over, resulting in a professional career with no definite proof of the supernatural.   He may have decided that he's going all the way this time, no matter what the risk, because whatever happens, he has to know.   The earlier bravado's gone, from their earlier face-off, replaced by resignation.

I wonder if the makers of DS were floored at seeing this ep onscreen, the way the music and events and pacing and effects came together, and it may have been a revelation as to what they were really capable of.  I'm thinking of the slow scenes with little or no dialogue, of Laura affecting Guthrie, Laura's eyes in the fire...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 12:38:57 AM »
I wonder if the makers of DS were floored at seeing this ep onscreen, the way the music and events and pacing and effects came together, and it may have been a revelation as to what they were really capable of.  I'm thinking of the slow scenes with little or no dialogue, of Laura affecting Guthrie, Laura's eyes in the fire...

That's a fascinating thought, MT--especially considering what will be happening before too long! I've always thought that when the writing on this show was good, it was really second to none!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »
I liked that they used real footage of a car on fire too.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
Yes--very scary and convincing!

Watching Project

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »
The Robservations caps for this ep have been posted.  [easter_smiley]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Peter: Séance at ten o'clock at the Old House. Tell Sam to be there.

Joe: He'll just love that. It might take a couple of drinks to get him there.

I imagine Sam will have already had several nips by 10:00.

I wonder if Joe really dropped his watch into a net full of mackerel? I suppose it could happen.

Preposterous is used twice in today’s show. You don’t hear that word much anymore.

A séance isn’t Sam’s kind of social event. What kind of social events does Sam attend?

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:23 AM »
Guthrie defines the undead as having lived and died and returned to walk the earth. It has a spookiness about it that I like.  the writers were good at this time.  It's the battle of the undead today for the life of Guthrie.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times