Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0280  (Read 1743 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0280
« on: April 20, 2007, 06:49:05 PM »

IluvBarnabas

Re: Discuss - Ep #0280
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »
Wow, Mr. "There's no such thing as ghosts" Roger Collins acutally insists on having a seance to contact ghosts....so when did he turn into such a skeptic later on? Did he have a bump on the head and just forgot all about the seance?

Barnabas wasn't too happy to hear Carolyn go on and on about how his beloved Josette and Jeremiah were in love....he was even less happy to see Burke come to the party dressed as the spitting image of Jeremiah.
Barnabas sure wasn't very good at hiding his feelings this episode.

Why wasn't Willie allowed at the party? It's the least Barnabas could do for him. Then again, maybe Willie didn't really want to be at the party....and considering what happens there, it's easy to see why.

Good episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:35:17 PM »
Wow, Mr. "There's no such thing as ghosts" Roger Collins actually insists on having a seance to contact ghosts....so when did he turn into such a skeptic later on?

What I like is how, before a s©ance just a couple of months later, Liz comments, "You know that Roger doesn't like s©ances."

I keep being surprised at the timing of things.  I remembered Maggie as wandering endlessly through the Old House dressed as Josette, but her appearances turned out to be quite few, and I remembered the leadup to the Party as going on forever, and it took just a week.

Here's the lesson I learned from this episode: if you're going to throw a party, be prepared.  Have an alternative amusement in mind in case the conversation flags or if a guest suggests a s©ance that you'd prefer to avoid.  Also, if the party is going to be in a house that does not have central heating, and if your lady guests are planning to have some upper areas of the body uncovered, be sure to have some good thick shawls available.  Not, of course, that it would have done any good in this case, since the cause of the chill was not physical.

I do, however, like the idea of the family innocently sitting down to a s©ance with somebody who is a little too intimately acquainted with the centuries-old ghosts whom they are trying to summon.  And it was fun seeing a Millicent-doppelganger who didn't act like MIllicent - although I think I noticed Millicent's laugh at some point, in the drawing room at Collinwood.  Hmm...maybe Elizabeth and Carolyn weren't being as silly as I thought.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:38:47 PM »
I wonder if they were considering going back to 1795 in this seance, and had to delay it?    It seems perfect, with their ressurrecting the past by way of the party.

I think Barnabas didn't want to see what a drunken, uninhibited Willie had to burble in public.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »
I wonder if they were considering going back to 1795 in this seance, and had to delay it?

According to Frid's personal letters to his mom, at this point the plan was still very much to kill Barnabas off and no backstory/timeshift to 1795 was even planned. That didn't come along until several more months down the line...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 12:23:08 AM »
Thanks.  I had envisioned someone deciding to stall until color came in.   First moment of color, VW seeing the 1795 "Old House" for the first time, wouldn't that have been great?   Only people would be expecting Munchkins...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:50:12 AM »
the party once prompted me to compare barnabas to mary tyler moore.she giver of the proverbial "bad party".

it was stiff.it was awkward.it was boring.

it was a very strange idea for a party.invite four people(a fifth later grudgingly added to the guest list)who basically spend the entire day cooped up in a house together,request that they don elaborate costumes,and then offer them nothing but a bowl of punch.

to me the party plot seemed contrived to accomplish three things.get the gang in period costume(a harbinger of things to come?),set the scene for the seance and officially cast burke in the "jeremiah" role.

if nothing else this little plot contrivance introduced me to the joys of "claret cup".

here's a link for "mrs.beeton's" recipe.http://thefoody.com/mrsbdrinks/claretcup.html

i wouldn't start the day without it. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 01:36:28 AM »
it was a very strange idea for a party.invite four people(a fifth later grudgingly added to the guest list)who basically spend the entire day cooped up in a house together,request that they don elaborate costumes,and then offer them nothing but a bowl of punch.
And primitive bathroom facilities!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:44 AM »
And primitive bathroom facilities!

I know. And you know how claret cups go right thru you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 02:26:41 AM »
Don't I know it.  Don't get me started.

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 04:48:37 PM »
Be sure to check out these (hopefully  ;)) humorous topics related to this episode:

From "Caption This!":
(none yet)

From "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)":

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 12:58:59 AM »
I'd love to get you started, Magnus.  I'm sure it would be interesting and instructive, and I'd try really, really hard not to giggle.

Back to the subject of the party...I still say that, despite the problems, it had huge potential, if only the participants could get into the spirit of role-playing.  Here's what they know - or think they know - about their characters:

Joshua: filthy rich.
Naomi: snagged herself a filthy rich husband.
Millicent: never managed to snag herself a husband, filthy rich or otherwise.
Jeremiah: built a house in the wilds of Maine that was big enough to accommodate practically the entire population of Maine at the time.
Josette: French and suicidal.
Barnabas: Washed his hands of his family and put an ocean between him and them.  Clearly the smartest of the lot.

Throw in a few gallons of claret cup, and they should have had a roaring good time.  But instead, they had a s©ance.  Golly, what a bunch of losers.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 02:02:13 AM »
I was waiting for Barnabas to come to the pictures of Sarah. But he didn't

I seemed that Barnabas' hair was messey I kind of like it better. Makes him look more carless, which we know that he is.  I think that the Old House belonged Naomi and that was what she bought into the marriage.

Besides what has already been said. Didn't they think it was strange starting the party so late. Starting the Seance at 11PM.

I quess willie could have made  Kraft  mac and cheese, and Whip and Chill for desert.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »
I thought everyone looked smashing in their 1795 finery.  As I watched, I was thinking that this was a preview of the 1795 storyline.  Of course, I didn't know about that storyline when I first saw this episode.  Did you all notice that Barnabas didn't drink the claret cup?  I guess he only can drink blood! [winkg]

I had envisioned someone deciding to stall until color came in.   First moment of color, VW seeing the 1795 "Old House" for the first time, wouldn't that have been great?   Only people would be expecting Munchkins...

LOL, MagnusTrask! [lol3] "The Wizard of Oz" is my favorite movie!  That would have been great !

I loved the seance.  Seances are fun! [cheesyg]  Just when they were about to give up, Vicki goes into a trance!  [shkdg]  Great ending to a Friday show! [bigok]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]