Author Topic: What do you think happened to Roxanne in 1971 after 1840?  (Read 4218 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: What do you think happened to Roxanne in 1971 after 1840?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 09:44:14 AM »
Life doesn't get resolved until you die.  Events keep happening, things keep changing. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 02:40:22 PM »
I never got to hear Return to Collinwood, but what I've heard I think I'm better off.

[spoiler]I fail to see how Maggie's fate would remain unaltered since Roxanne never made it to 1970 to attack her...why should she still have a breakdown? And Carolyn wed to Ned Stuart...Ned Stuart?! That alone makes me not want to be in any rush to to go out and seek Return to Collinwood.

Explaining the time eras and how events and events did and didn't change can be frusterating. Like after the history of1897 was changed,  back in 1969 the family SHOULDN'T have remembered Quentin haunting Collinwood, but they did. At least the writers didn't make the same mistake twice after 1840 was over....no one remembers the Gerard and Daphne haunting of 1970 except Barnabas, Julia and Professor Stokes.[/spoiler]

I think I'll just be one of those who goes by the TV series rather than the audio tapes.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 05:18:30 PM »
i'm quite surprised to read that some people are looking to the current audiodramas to "resolve" plot inconsistencies left from the original show.

for me the audiodramas,the new books,the "return to collinwood" presentation are all self-contained stories under the d.s. banner but i certainly wouldn't look to them for continuity.

the same goes for the movies,the ross novels,the '91 revival etc..

as maddeningly inconsistent as the original series was it's it's own "cannon" and anything that happens outside it doesn't factor as "real" to me.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 01:36:48 AM »
The Revival series , the movies and the Marilyn Ross books all made no attempt to follow the original series continuity , and were never intended to be set in the same universe . The new audio plays do follow in the original series continuity and are intended to be set in the same universe . I understand some people don't want to count them as canon , but others do . It's a matter of choice . Original series actors reprising their classic roles in DS stories intended to follow up from the classic series ...it counts in my book .

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »
The original series' actors reprised their original roles in the plays Return to Collinwood and Vengeance at Collinwood, which were also intended as a type of follow-up to the original series - yet very few fans would ever consider them to be canon...

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Even though there's a huge backlash against Return to Collinwood, I didn't HATE it. But what I DID HATE was the fact that after I listened to it, I couldn't get Vengeance at Collinwood to listen to. Really rubbed me wrong. I mean, I'm the type of person that even if something sucks (movie, book etc) I'll still go to the end of it.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 04:42:59 PM »
I am totally bitter that Vengeance never got released on audio . Maybe an adapted version of it could be released one day by Big Finish . It had a smaller cast than RtC , so it would be easier to get the cast togather.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 06:56:17 PM »
Another option, in 1971, Angelique could have come back to Barnabas.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 12:51:45 PM »
Dying in 1840/1 being but a minor setback?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »
SPOILER ALERT?

Pardon my confusion - I haven't actually got to 1971/1840 yet, but am I understanding correctly that there are some actions taken by Barnabas, Julia and/or Stokes in the 1840 story that ought to have actually negated much of what happened vis a vis Barnabas in 1967-71?  I ask because a poster above commented on Liz recognizing Barnabas when he Julia and Stokes return to '71 via the stairway in time.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 12:47:38 AM »
Sorry I didn't warn about my spoiler.

Nelson... since the very point of their going back in time is to change the present, certain events and storylines will be cancelled out, unavoidably.   Much of what happened earlier in DS never happened by the time DS ended.    Yes, 1840 cancels out many things, but so did 1897.   The biggest, most glaring error, something that threw a monkey wrench into things in a totally unnecessary way, was Barnabas's

SPOILER

...refusal to get back into the coffin, physically.... twice.   So BC was never there for Willie to set free in 1967.

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 08:36:15 PM »
Someone here, either Gothick or Gerard, wrote a story that explains all the loose ends and shows how 1840 changed things in 1971.

I've written one that deals with how Angelique and Barnabas met in 1972, and I tie loose ends as they come up.  The first one is short (as in not novel-sized) and is the first 24 hours or so surrounding them meeting each other again.  And then one that is novel-sized that deals with the next few weeks or so of their lives and how much they are changed, and how Things are also changed around them.

In the second novel-sized one which I'm still working on, due to a long illness and death in my family, I'm bringing more changes into the family due to Certain Things that happened in 1840, bringing in a few extended members of the family (they HAD to know Other People) and also dealing with several unsolved mysteries:  Elizabeth's life before Paul and some info on Victoria's story.

Now that I'm not obsessing about the Fest (of course, next year is already announced, so looking forward to that...), I will be spending some time getting back into it.

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 04:32:20 AM »
Sorry I didn't warn about my spoiler.

Apologies Magnus, my "spoiler alert" was my own, not intended at all to complain about any story details given out.  I know most of them anyway :)  and was just curious about the comment that Liz should not have remembered Barnabas.  I understand now.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 10:01:55 PM »
Magnus--

[spoiler]
If Barnabas had gotten back in the coffin in 1840, wouldn't he have died, since he was human? 130 years in a coffin should kill even the best of us. Realistically, Barnabas probably shouldn't have been able to return to 1970. Maybe if the series concluding with him deciding to stay in 1840 would have made the slightest amount more sense. In that case the family shouldn't recognize Stokes and Julia either, as they most likely would not have ever met if Barnabas had never been there.
[/spoiler]
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »
Re the coffin and his getting back into it (alive)---Well, of course, Garth, but the whole Barnabas situation was untenable.    His being cured in 1840 is one of the problems.   He has to survive to 1967 and Willie letting him out, or he won't get back to his 1840 body with his 1970 self in the first place to make those changes.   

He needed to be a vampire and get back into his coffin or, as you say, stay put.   What happened to Barnabas' being so much more comfortable in "the past"?