Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0270  (Read 1752 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0270
« on: April 06, 2007, 05:36:02 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0270
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:02:53 PM »
We're back to my basic complaint about non-supernatural soap operas: people have to be idiots to keep the plot moving.  We've got Carolyn snooping around Jason's room without making sure first that he's not around to catch her.  We've got Jason acting like the master of the house before he's got the marriage ceremony safely behind him.  Gosh, people, have a little faith!  You don't have to act like idiots!  The writers will  find plots for you even if you act like thoroughly rational human beings!  Never mind, I forgive them all, because I just love it when Jason acts like the total thug that he actually is, underneath all the blarney.

And then we've got Elizabeth dressing up for her wedding - ribbons in her hair, fancy dress.  Huh?  She's feeling defiant these days, so why isn't she wearing basic black?

I do like Liz's final declaration, though: "I killed Paul Stoddard...and that man was my accomplice!"  So very dramatic.  There was Jason, looking handsome in his wedding clothes, and I had visions of a torrid affair between Jason and Liz twenty years ago...Paul Stoddard catches them in the act...Liz (in a beautiful flowing black negligee) grabs the bedside pistol and shoots Paul...Paul falls to the floor, and blood spurts over the dozen long-stemmed roses that he had been bringing to Liz.  Instead of which, what really happened was...well, that's what we'll see next week.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 02:33:41 PM »
Jason took off his kid gloves and got down and ugly with Carolyn today and ordered her to leave Collinwood. He's finally had it with the abuse he's taken from Carolyn, though I quite agree with her, he's deserved every bit of it.

What I don't understand though, did he really believe Elizabeth would put up with his kicking her own daughter out of the house? I really don't think so. He's been able to arm-twist her into letting him do everything his way so far, but throwing Carolyn out behind her back is where I believe she would have drawn the line.

I was glad to see Joe talk Carolyn out of marrying Buzz. I really don't know if she really would have gone through with marrying the guy or not but I'm glad Joe was there to talk some sense into her.

I loved the ending....Elizabeth finally found the will power to tell the truth....Jason pushed her too far with the whole marriage idea. She just couldn't go through with it and realize it was better to come out with the truth and face the consequences than live through a mockery of a marriage with a man she detested.

Great episode.

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 01:20:54 AM »
Be sure to check out these (hopefully  ;)) humorous topics related to this episode:

From "Caption This!":
(none yet)

From "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)":

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 06:18:40 PM »
this episode is an all time favorite of mine.from start to finish so many great scenes.

i love liz's declaration..."i killed paul stoddard...and that man was my accomplice!"...very soap opera but also very noir.
sadly this is liz's last great storyline before she succumbs to a series of spells and entombments during the full onset of the barnabas years.

this episode is also notable to me for featuring a trio of the ugliest dresses ever worn on a show known for some damned ugly dresses.

i suppose liz's getup is supposed to make her look "regal" but she really looks kind of ridiculous.her beehive hairdo is festooned with ribbons and her dress defies accurate description.it's sort of a white-on-white polka dot affair.a-line organza.i can't tell if it's a print or if the design is woven into the fabric.

vicki,who certainly knows her way around an ugly dress,gets a personal worst.a long sleeeved(!)floral chiffon print.knee length and again a-line.they attired vicki strangely in general.she was a young and very pretty girl but she got some super dowdy looks.

carolyn fares only slightly better in what looks like off-white crocheted lace.accessorized nicely with that cast(i forget did nancy barrett really break her wrist?)and a purse.of course we the viewer know that carolyn is "packing heat" but didn't anyone there find it odd that she was carrying a purse around in her own house? ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 06:53:49 PM »
carolyn fares only slightly better in what looks like off-white crocheted lace.accessorized nicely with that cast(i forget did nancy barrett really break her wrist?)and a purse.of course we the viewer know that carolyn is "packing heat" but didn't anyone there find it odd that she was carrying a purse around in her own house? ::)

Hmm, good question.

I don't know if her wrist was fractured; I've only heard that she injured it in an auto accident.  At this point she'd already been wearing the cast over 2 weeks.

Enjoyed your assessments, mscbryk!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 07:08:08 PM »
thanks midnite.

i haven't indulged in a good costume sound-off in a while. ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 10:35:44 PM »
i suppose liz's getup is supposed to make her look "regal" but she really looks kind of ridiculous.her beehive hairdo is festooned with ribbons and her dress defies accurate description.it's sort of a white-on-white polka dot affair.a-line organza.i can't tell if it's a print or if the design is woven into the fabric.

And to think that even in the days before video tapes/DVD, we couldn't possibly have forgotten Liz's wedding dress because it was immortalized in a photo accompanying a July 1967 article in the New York Times AND in 1968 as red series cards #44 and #45.  ;)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 07:14:57 PM »
This was a pretty good episode.

While I enjoyed mscbryk's acerbic and very funny fashion review, I thought Liz looked great, though as Lydia pointed out - it hardly seemed appropriate under the circumstances.

Though hard to believe, I guess I can understand why Carolyn convinced herself that Liz would back up Jason's throwing her out. Once she caved in to his demands of picking up the 'book' off the bedroom floor, we had to know Carolyn's goose was cooked. She really should have picked it up and given him a black eye with it. I've been laughing off most of Jason's bullcrap but for some reason this scene made me want to punch him square in the face.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 07:48:56 PM »
It was a good show, I liked the clothes in the sense that it reminded me of how things were back then. Here are some things that I remember and see if this takes  you back. Shoe paint, I remember my mother used to paint her shoes the color of her dress. You would buy white or light shoes and then you would paint them. (Maybe this comes from now this will really take you back and is slightly off topic, Barbies and their clothes and that each dress had a different set of shoes.) The dress seemed like they just had covers over them, because it was all the filmy material. The dresser made the filmy cover to go over every day dresses. Or mayby the clothes supplier wanted to push those types of dresses. Orchbacks(sp)

I did think that the purse was out of place also. Couldn't Carolyn have had a loose dress with big pockets??? Both Liz and Carolyn both thought that they were going crazy. Maybe they should have gotten a family package and Wyncliff?? Where is Julia when we need her?

Roger turn down a drink that was  that a first??

Good Show, Monday even better started watching part of that had to go to work.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:08:33 PM »
Speaking of Music, the song on the Jukebox sounded like the song on the Dating Game, or at least a copy of the style. Maybe it was montevani.  LOL

Sorry for the double post, but just thought of it  had forgot to put it in.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 01:28:16 AM »
please don't get me wrong...

in general i adore the d.s. fashions.liz usually looks lovely.i especially love her much maligned jewels-and-gown getup from episode one.

there were really only two times i thought that liz looked silly.ironically they both involve a dennis patrick character.

the first time being the episode under discusion here and the other time being...

[spoiler]during the leviathan storyline when paul stoddard dies and they attend his funeral.liz is outrageously decked out in full widow's weeds.she looks like she's attending the funeral of the pope. ::)[/spoiler]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »
Excellent episode! [cheer] The line - "I killed Paul Stoddard, and that man was my accomplice!" -  was one of the best lines in all of DS!  So soap-operaish, with her finger pointed, and everything! [cheesyg]  I also was concerned that Carolyn would ruin her purse.

Buzz was originally going to meet Carolyn at the Blue Whale.  I'm sure the dialog would have been much different.  It was very effective to have Joe talk Carolyn out of marrying Buzz. [winkg]

Jason was absolutely despicable!   [82b5] He really let Carolyn have it!  How mean of him to "throw out" Carolyn from her own house!  That "Goodbye" line was so cold!   [devil]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 09:01:17 AM »
I think it was a lovely wedding.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 09:28:41 AM »
Was  I the only one who noticed the nice bouquet of flowers over by the piano that Willie and Barnabas had delivered for the wedding?...looked like lilacs and wolfbane from a distance ???
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.