Author Topic: Shadowgram Update #167 (Fest Dates & Location)  (Read 18196 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update #167 (Fest Dates & Location)
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2007, 04:13:35 AM »
There have been showings of HODS and NODS as well that were west coast.  I know some folks flew in from the east coast and the middle of the country to attend.

The fans who live in the middle of the country are always inconvenienced in terms of where the festival is held.  Like anything else, you  go to what is feasible.  I love catching up with friends I've met through DS and look forward to the east coast festival which is very convenient for me.  The west coast is not so I don't go and wait for the next year. 8)

Nancy

[deadhorse] Let's beat a dead horse some more.  ;D

In all of this talk of how LA is somehow "owed" a Festival, while the rest of us schmucks in the middle of the country have to fly no matter what, folks seem to be forgetting that there was another DS-related event besides the Halloween party. John Karlen, Lara Parker, and Kathryn Leigh Scott did a February signing of the DS audios in Burbank. True, it's not a full-fledged Fest, but it's difficult to buy into the notion that fans in LA are somehow lacking in opportunities to attend DS-related events.

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2007, 02:05:13 AM »
[deadhorse] Let's beat a dead horse some more.  ;D

In all of this talk of how LA is somehow "owed" a Festival, while the rest of us schmucks in the middle of the country have to fly no matter what, folks seem to be forgetting that there was another DS-related event besides the Halloween party. John Karlen, Lara Parker, and Kathryn Leigh Scott did a February signing of the DS audios in Burbank. True, it's not a full-fledged Fest, but it's difficult to buy into the notion that fans in LA are somehow lacking in opportunities to attend DS-related events.

I'll second that MsCriseyde, We poor souls in the South are out of luck all the way around and we have one of the most active Fan Clubs in the country based in Orlando and headed by Patrick McCann. How about have some Dark Shadows in the Sunshine Stae for a change?

Oh but lest I forget a big thank you to (you know who your are) for getting us a David Selby book signing  ;D

LdyAnne

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2007, 04:22:02 AM »
JF lives about 7 hours from Tarrytown.

Nancy

Doesn't he live near Toronto? It's a multiple hour drive, but it could be done.

David

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2007, 07:15:37 AM »
Just a thought, thrown in out of left field:
Smaller festvals happening less often indicates that DS fandom might be shrinking.

DS on the air brings in new fans, which is needed to keep the franchise going.
I've seen posters here say they don't care if the series airs or not, they have their DVDS.
I've seen posters say they don't want a new series, the original is enough.

Think again folks: DS on the air, whether in reruns or a new series, is what will bring in new fans and return fandom to it's former size.
Support the DVDs to be sure, they're wonderful to have.
But support any and all efforts to get DS back on the air as well.

David

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2007, 10:24:16 AM »
Just thought I'd let everyone know here that I've decided to attend the next DS Fest! [cheer] I booked the plane, hotel, and car rental.  [thumbright] Of course, I have to wait to purchase the actual DS Fest ticket - the DS Fest website still hasn't been updated yet. [sadg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2007, 07:58:59 PM »
That's great news, Sally! Can't wait to see you again!:)

Offline darkshadowsrick

• "Lara Parkers' best photographer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2007, 07:27:02 AM »
This will be my 15th Festival in a row, so of course I've been to both East and West coast festivals, w/ 1 being in Las Vegas.  Over the years I've noticed the bigger crowds at the NY festivals.  Especially in the 90's, at the Marriott Marquis, and when Dark Shadows was being run at the same time on Sci Fi, the crowds were much bigger too.  I've been told that they don't do cities in the Mid-west, South, ect., as 1/2 of the actors live on the East coast, and the other 1/2 live on the West.  It is cheaper to fly half of them to one coast or another,  than the whole cast to a location in-between.  Although, Chris Pennock told me personally last year, that they did not pay his plane fare to Brooklyn from CA.   As far as the restaurants go, the food isn't bad at the Hotels in NY, but the service was terrible in both Brooklyn and Tarrytown.   Also very pricey.  The service and bar/restaurants were much better at the CA hotels, both at LAX and Anaheim. The bartenders/wait staff friendlier there.   Also Hollywood was good.  Plus there were many more places to eat outside the hotel, there.  Nothing is perfect, unfortunately.  I live in Upstate NY, so personally, going to CA is a better vacation for me.  But a much more expensive trip.  I'm sorry that Prof. Stokes can't go, I look forward to seeing her every year!  But I understand, I couldn't afford to go to CA two years in a row, either.  As for the special guest, I'm assuming they're referring to either Jonathan Frid, or Alexandra Moltke.  Those are the only two that would be 'that' special.  I think they are being cautious, though, announcing anyone specifically--- in case the special guest thing doesn't work out.  I hope for everyone's sake it does, though.  I look forward to seeing all of those that can go.  I miss you all,  Rick
darkshadowsrick
rick hatch

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2007, 01:32:44 PM »
    As for the special guest, I'm assuming they're referring to either Jonathan Frid, or Alexandra Moltke.  Those are the only two that would be 'that' special.  I think they are being cautious, though, announcing anyone specifically--- in case the special guest thing doesn't work out.  I hope for everyone's sake it does, though.  I look forward to seeing all of those that can go.  I miss you all,  Rick
I thought it said an exclusive guest would be on Saturday. My thought is that they just mean one person on Saturday the whole day belongs to or centers on. Not necessarily someone special like Frid or Moltke. That indeed would be special. I think it would be cool since we will be at Lyndhurst and alll to have Kate Jackson there. But either way I am looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Teresa 8)
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2007, 05:16:19 PM »
I too am hoping for either Frid, Moltke, or Jackson as the special guest. But I'm not getting my hopes up or anything. If it is, great! If it's not, I'm going to have a good time anyway.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
David Henesy would also qualify as a very special mystery guest.

If it were Frid, it would be cool to hear him, AM, & NB recreate the 'Josette story' scene (from the early years) with sound and visual fx.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2007, 05:36:25 PM »
i'll play debbie downer here but if the "big three" holdouts(jonathan,alexandra and kate)didn't come to the big fortieth anniversary fest in new york i doubt that they'll bother with the smaller two day event in tarrytown.

kathryn,lara and diana have books to sell.karlen and selby seem to come out of a sense of tradition.

jonathan is retired and for whatever reason alexandra and kate have chosen to distance themselves from this event.i could be wrong but(and i hope i am)but i can't see any of them in tarrytown. :(
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2007, 07:15:23 PM »
i can agree. i broke my "only attend west coast events" rule last year with the hopes they would get special guests for the 40th anniversary and there were none.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »
You know, if Frid were to attend a fest, I think it would be very smart for the organizers to book the fest at a venue that was very large because I would expect an appearance by Frid to increase the fest attendence by hundreds. Tarrytown didn't strike me as a good venue for an exceptionally large gathering.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2007, 11:52:35 PM »
Actually JF might consider the holding capacity of the Tarrytown venue TOO BIG for his liking.  He simply is not able to deal with thousands of people and the last thing he would want to do is to commit to being there and sign autographs and then get tired and have to stop in the middle of it (as Joan Bennett had to do several times).  A smaller venue would appeal to Frid, not a larger one.

Frid's idea of a good time at a fan event is being in the presence of between 100-300 fans, mingling and maybe do a reading or two. A lot more than that now is overwhelming.  He has led a pretty quiet life since 1993.

Nancy

You know, if Frid were to attend a fest, I think it would be very smart for the organizers to book the fest at a venue that was very large because I would expect an appearance by Frid to increase the fest attendence by hundreds. Tarrytown didn't strike me as a good venue for an exceptionally large gathering.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
... the 40th anniversary of the arrival of Barnabas Collins.
Which would be, well, TODAY.   [clap]