Author Topic: Marvelous in MAME  (Read 4233 times)

Connie

Re: Marvelous in MAME
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2002, 03:02:13 AM »
    I love that dress and what a well co-ordinated couple you make.

Mmm!  Yeah - pretty colors in that dress.  What I wanna know is...what are they saying?  Is she grabbing his sleeve?  Can't tell.

Maybe she's telling him a joke...
"Yeah, so listen!  Get this...get this..."

No, I think David is asking her:
"So, why did you shout out my name during the first act??"
Criseyde:  "I couldn't help it!  It just slipped out!!"

Anybody have any other ideas?  Maybe Midnite knows.

love
CLC  ;)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2002, 03:03:01 AM »
It sounds like your group had a wonderful evening, Midnite!

I attended the Saturday matinee of Mame along with victoriawinters and two other members of the Shadows in the Sun fan club.  I had never seen Mame before and wasn't familiar with the story, but I really enjoyed the show.  Some of the songs are still stuck in my head.

I didn't realize that David's character was in the show for such a short time, and his character's exit cast a bit of a damper on the play.  He did make the most of his time though.  As soon as he took the stage, he enjoyed a loud burst of applause, and not just from our section, so there must have been a number of other Selby fans in the audience too.  Selby played the role of Beauregard Jackson Picket Burnside with verve and comic flair.  For those unfamiliar with the story, Beau Burnside is Mame's Southern suitor, the master of Peckerwood plantation.  Though Burnside is from Georgia, I thought Selby's accent sounded a bit more Texan (but as a yankee, what do I know?)  Even singing with the rest of the cast, Selby's voice remained audible and distinct.  (However, I'll leave the commentary on his singing to the better-qualified victoriawinters)

When the show ended, the four of us went downstairs to the first level of the theater (though not backstage) to meet with Selby.  Another group of people was there at the same time, and from the way they were talking with David, it seemed like they were friends of the family.  David politely divided his time between them and us.  Although he seemed a bit tired, he did sign several autographs and posed for photos.  victoriawinters asked him if he was sorry that he wasn't in the show for a longer amount of time, and David replied that playing Beauregard was basically a chance to get his feet wet and he was having a wonderful time with the role.  After a few minutes, he left to rest for the next show (the one that Midnite & co. saw.)  Suzy Stokey, the friendly assistant producer who had helped us arrange to meet David, said that the Cabrillo Music Theater hopes to have David in several future musicals.  It's just a matter of finding him in the right parts.  Hopefully, everything will work out and we'll be able to see him again before long.      

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2002, 03:09:37 AM »
Fabulous, Criseyde!  I've never seen two more stunning people.  I guess that settles it-- I'm going to blow the rest of the roll right now so I can get it developed ASAP.  The pic I took shows the whole dress. :)

And where is a certain other picture I have seen, of another ravishing woman dressing up The Man's arm?

I have no idea.  However, hee hee, here's one I happen to have of him and me.  Thanks, Rich!

<sigh>

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2002, 04:14:48 AM »
I'm glad to hear that David Selby was so good in MAME, but since the name of the show is MAME--who played the title role?  A star?  Also, just because I'm curious, was this a professional production (i.e., full Equity contract) or a semi-professional or community theatre show, with David on a special Equity contract?

Thanks,

Brian

(BTW--both y'all ladies look great in your pics with Selby!!)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2002, 04:34:58 AM »
since the name of the show is MAME--who played the title role?  A star?  Also, just because I'm curious, was this a professional production (i.e., full Equity contract) or a semi-professional or community theatre show, with David on a special Equity contract?

Amanda McBroom, cabaret performer, songwriter and recording artist, played Mame. She has her own home page at:

http://www.amcbroom.com

The show had 3 Equity actors -- Selby, McBroom, and Joy Claussen as Vera Charles.

It was presented by Cabrillo Music Theatre, the resident musical theatre company of the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza in association with the Gold Coast Performing Arts Association.

Cabrillo Music Theatre's web site is:

http://www.cabrillomusictheatre.com

And there are links to reviews and other blurbs about the performance on my site.

And here's a worthless Dark Shadows related note. Michael Maitland, who played one of the Leviathan twits, appeared in the original Broadway production of Mame as little Peter Dennis, the young boy in the final scene.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2002, 04:45:41 AM »
Mmm!  Yeah - pretty colors in that dress.  What I wanna know is...what are they saying?  Is she grabbing his sleeve?  Can't tell.

Yes to the grabbing his sleeve question, though that was either right before or right after the picture was shot.

As to what was being said at precisely that moment . . . could've been talking about my teaching gig, could've been making a wisecrack, could've been shushing him for going on about my web site to everyone in earshot, or could've been talking about the recent nastiness I had with AOL over something related to the site.

I was not pointing at my middle and saying, "Do you think this dress makes me look fat?" That much I can say for sure.

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2002, 05:06:00 AM »

Thank You ladies for your pics and accounting of our beloved Selby in Mame!

Prof. Stokes, I think you should have your own Forum Title as Official Correspondent for Fests and other DS happenings.  Your writing is colorful and chock full of detail.  You make the reader feel as though they were there!  

Cris.....I think I told you before...I love that dress!  You look so excited to see Selby.  What a cool pic!

And Midnite...THAT is such a great pic of you and our beloved!  You are positively glowing!  

While he looks great no matter what he's wearing, that sweater is especially attractive on Da Man!  

What a thrilling experience for y'all!  I am thoroughly envious! ;)

Sincerely, Thanks again for sharing with all of us!

[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja ;)
[/shadow]
[/size]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2002, 07:19:48 AM »
just wanted to add the ladies look lovely also!!!

jennifer
a tad jealous here on the east coast!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2002, 11:09:19 AM »
Midnite & Criseyde, the two of you look absolutely stunning!!  What beautiful dresses!  You both look great next to David.

And Prof.Stokes, thanks for the interesting & detailed write up.  You honestly should think of a career in Writing or Journalism.  You really know how to keep the reader interested throughout every word and sentence. You have a real special knack for this!  :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2002, 12:23:10 PM »
I guess that settles it-- I'm going to blow the rest of the roll right now so I can get it developed ASAP.  The pic I took shows the whole dress. :)

I think this might be a VERY good idea.

However, hee hee, here's one I happen to have of him and me.  Thanks, Rich!

Wow!
What a BEAUTIFUL picture!  You both look great.  VampiRich takes wonderful pictures, doesn't he!
Hey Midnite, have you got your little hand on his little tummy??  (Ah...What a nice place to be.)

I can't get out of this thread.  These pictures of Midnite and Cris with David are just precious.
MORE please!  I wanna see more of Criseyde's dress, and David's pants too.  They look like black jeans.  Are they?  Ya know, I think he should do jeans commercials.
Midnite, are you wearing black, or is it like a dark maroon color?  I can't tell.  You look lovely.

MORE PICTURES!

Hey, ya know what?  Someone should put a book together with tons of pictures of David and his fans.  It could be called something like:

David Selby:  It's A Tough Life
-- A Pictorial View of David Selby And The Broads Who Love Him

LOL -- how does that sound?

-------------------------------
PROFSTOKES:
Thank you soooo much for your report.  I love it.  Your writing is absolutely flawless (and so damned professional!).  Ya know, you should be a journalist.  Your writing is as good, if not better than anything I've come across in newspapers.  It's very comprehensive and elegantly written.
But let's get down to IMPORTANT matters, shall we??
Did you get any pictures with David?  If so I wanna SEE them!  Are there any of victoriawinters and David?
--------------------------------

Anyway, I want to see more pictures of David and Cris - particularly any of him with his arm around her (that she can't go and cut herself out of), more of them chattering away, [argue] ALL pictures of Midnite and David, all pictures of him and anyone else, or him and a chair...(you get the idea).  There now -- that's not asking too much, is it?  LOL   No rush of course.  ;D

I was not pointing at my middle and saying, "Do you think this dress makes me look fat?" That much I can say for sure.

Ya know, I bet she WAS saying that.

Cris:  "Do you think this dress makes me look fat?"
David:  "Yeah...right.  I got yer fat RIGHT HERE!!!

love
CLC  ;)

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2002, 04:41:00 PM »
You ladies look so lovely in those photos.  I thought the photo of MsCriseyde and David looked like they were dancing together. ( Maybe to a Bruce Springsteen song?) :-) ;-)
Oh, sorry, that is where I'll be tonight at the Cinti US Bank Arena
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2002, 06:30:32 PM »
Anyway, I want to see more pictures of David and Cris - particularly any of him with his arm around her (that she can't go and cut herself out of), more of them chattering away

One more because you asked, but that's going to be it, and the answer to the jeans question is yes they are black jeans, or were quite a few washings ago anyway.

There are a couple of new shots on the site. Actually, one of them is the photo of Midnite that's in this thread. The other is a headshot of David.

Connie

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2002, 07:07:20 PM »
Ah!  The FULL picture.  That's better!  Thanks, Cris.
Love that dress.  Looks like it was MADE for you.
That's my favorite shot of him so far.  Might there be any new ones in addition to the new ones on your site?
(as if this girl has nothing better to do than to mess with her website all day)!
[thumb]

-CLC

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2002, 12:31:16 AM »
all i can say is WOW!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2002, 12:40:19 AM »
Hey Midnite, have you got your little hand on his little tummy??  (Ah...What a nice place to be.)

ROFL, would you believe me if I said I have no memory of putting my hand there?  Yet there it is. [blshb]

Midnite, are you wearing black, or is it like a dark maroon color?  I can't tell.  You look lovely.

Thanks.  It's a wine colored set, with the outside sweater very long, and a black skirt.  All the flash was in the boots. [winkb]

I wanna see more of Criseyde's dress, and David's pants too.

Ask and ye shall receive...