Author Topic: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!  (Read 20490 times)

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: FULL Burbank Fest re-cap - Frid falls on stage Sunday!
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2008, 02:01:28 AM »
He reminds me so much of my pop, who in later years, declared that all of his friends were dropping dead around him. Every time we meet up with JK, he has some near and dear friend dying. Not a very positive attitude.

My mother always said when you reach the point where you find yourself going to more funerals than weddings, you are not long from the pine box yourself.  It is always unnerving when your own mortality stares you in the face.
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2008, 04:00:23 AM »
Most of your high points made my list as well, KajunDC. John Karlen and Bob Cobert were both very funny in their appearances, and Karlen impressed me as being more upbeat than he did at previous Fests. I did not see David Selby's segment at all; I used that time and the auction hour to get something to eat.  Now I'm sorry I missed it.  It sounds like it was quite entertaining. 

I had been hoping that Jonathan Frid would participate in the big cast reunion, but for whatever reason, he did not.  That panel was very lively nevertheless.  Even with Roger Davis's comments about his money and Don Briscoe (actually, I was more irked that he brought up Karlen's son), I thought he was better behaved than in some of his previous appearances.  In any event, I'm glad that he's still with us, and was able to attend the Festival.

Saturday
Also, and many may not agree with me, I think Frid coming out of the casket sounded much better on paper than it came across live.  He could have really gotten hurt with the way they set it up and it was amazing that the casket did not fall off the flimsy stand they had it on.

I thought the entrance from the coffin was the most exciting part of the weekend. After spending so many years trying to downplay his role as Barnabas, to be willing to get into a coffin and play the vampire again for his fans...what a tremendously good sport Jonathan Frid is!  I'm afraid the possibility of a safety hazard didn't occur to me at the time, and I'm glad there were no problems with the stunt.  I was standing in the back of the ballroom when Karlen came out, and though I realized what was happening , I couldn't see any of it once the front rows jumped up to get their photos (I screamed and cheered along with the crowd anyway  [ghost_cheesy]).  I'm very grateful to joeinteglia for sharing his video.  That is a priceless moment!

I enjoyed Frid'is Saturday video presentation and was particularly thrilled by the attention he paid to Thayer David (my only minor quibble is that I think the scene of Stokes visiting the Old House for the first time and critiquing Barnabas's furniture and hospitality would have been a more fun clip to discuss than the seance to contact Philippe Cordier).  I was actually somewhat underwhelmed by Frid's Sunday appearance.  I was under the impression that he would be performing all of his readings ("Washington Square," "Richard III," and "Yma Dream") live. Instead, he only read for "Washington Square" and  part of (I believe) "A Midsummer Night's Dream".  The other performances were all on video, and these were more lively and energetic than the live readings.  Frid's video performances were very dynamic and delightful; he has an excellent voice.  The last video was of Frid performing "The Cask of Amontillado" in Spanish.  My Spanish skills are lousy so I could only pick out one or two words, but the cadence and the rich sound of Frid's delivery were still fun.  While Frid's Saturday appearance was packed wall to wall, the back half of the auditorium was nearly empty for most of his Sunday panel. I saw lots of people leaving in droves as the videos played. I don't know if these people were bored with watching videos, if they were desperately hungry for something to eat, or if they wanted to get ready for the banquet early.  It was just something that surprised me and made me a little sad.  Nevertheless, I'm very grateful that Frid was willing to attend a second Festival in a row and made the long trip to Burbank for the benefit of the West Coast.  [ghost_grin]

I was not there for the early morning/afternoon stage talks of Chris Pennock, KLS and then Lara Parker.  I had little interest in Pennock and have heard all of what KLS and Parker have to say.

I found Pennock's presentation to be very uplifting.  Instead of reading from his comic books, he had brought a DVD of a short film called "Cardboard Signs" in which Pennock plays a homeless man strugglign to maintain his dignity and his long-term relationship.  It's a much more mature role than Jeb Hawkes. Apparently, the director was only 17 at the time this movie was made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90q0xoIBo3U  At first the DVD would not play; it kept freezing.  The organizers tried three times to clean the player, and then to change the disc. In the interim, Chris's daughter Tara performed the song "Defying Gravity" from the musical Wicked (she sounded nervous, but she does have a lovely voice).  A Q&A line also formed, but only one person got to ask a question before the movie was up and running again.  I thought it was a beautiful movie, and I'm glad that we were able to watch it after all.

Saturday's costume gala (I missed the first half of the Collinsport Players' skit, but what I did see was quite funny) was another high point.  This year's group of performers seemed to have all been professionally trained.  They all sounded beautiful.  A gentleman dressed as a vampire sang a jazzy tune that I didn;t recognize.  AngeliqueWins sang a charming parody of "Beauty School Drop-Out" about Angelique (a capella!), then she and adamsgirl performed a duet of the Collinsport chant.  Afterward, adamsgirl herself sang a solo, "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables to illustrate Angelique's thoughts about Barnabas marrying Josette. victoriawinters sang her own parody as Victoria after being bitten by Barnabas (instead of "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady, it was "I Could Have Bled All Night").  A woman dressed like Pansy Faye sang, "I'm Tired" from Blazing Saddles.  And then there was Julie singing her DS medley. :) Peter Mac wrapped up the show by dressing as Angelique and singing in character as Lara Parker, venting her frustration because her character has just been killed off. This song was a riot! Sara, Angela, and their friends reenacted a drawing room scene of Carolyn, Vicki, Elizabeth, and Mrs. Johnson discussing Barnabas's arrival.  Another woman dressed in a poodle skirt performed the twist (or in Rev. Trask's book, 'devil dancing').  Among the costumes were a luscious Eve, two lovely Josettes, a historically accurate Naomi and Joshua, borgosi in his elegant suit and cape, and "Sam the Umbrella Man," a peculiar figure from Jonathan Frid's earlier presentation.

I thought the performance of "the lost script" was a big disappointment. The script just wasn't very good! It was heavy on dialogue with no real action, and nothing happened to advance the story arc.  According to Davis, Dan Curtis's own notes on the script say, "Lose this!"  Roger's performance seemed pretty listless to me (though as Midnite remarked, this may be because he wasn't speaking into the microphone and was hard to hear).  I was more impressed with Robert Rodan: his voice is still deep and resonant, and he read Adam's lines with the character's typical befuddlement and impatience. 

I was also very bummed out that we didn't get to see any fan videos.  [ghost_sad]  On Friday, Richard Halpern tried to play a DVD of "Baby Dark Shadows," but the disc would not cooperate.  DLA75 had also brought a new DVD of music videos to the Fest, but that would not play either.  There was one very old video of Willie ("Who Can it Be Now?") that screened just before Marcy Robin's talk on Saturday morning, but no block of fan-produced media like we usually see.  [ghost_tongue]

By far, the lowest point of the Festival was the banquet. 
I basically spent $50 to eat a salad, a little bit of broccoli and carrots

You and me both.  I've attended the banquets since 2002 and the main course has always been chicken.  Imagine my dismay when this year, the wait staff plops a plate of goo in front of us.  It's lasagna.  I'm allergic to cheese and have been since I was a baby, so I could not eat the dinner. I couldn't even eat the vegetables because they were also drizzled with cheese.  There were two other people at my table who had similar dietary problems (one could not eat dairy and one could not eat pasta). I asked for an alrernate meal, but was told there was none.  (I've heard conflicting reports about this: someone told me that people at another table were able to order chicken, and KLS mentioned that she had asked for a non-vegetarian meal, but when my friend Jeff asked Jim Pierson about this, he was told that Kathryn had only been kidding). Jeff, who played Barnabas in the Friday night skit, requested that the waiters bring us each a plate of steamed vegetables.  This was supposed to take only 5 minutes, but it was more like 20.  In the meantime, we partialed out the last two rolls of bread amongst ourselves. When the waiter did return, he had only brought vegetables for Jeff, not for myself or the lactose-intolerant lady.  Our seatmates were eating dessert before we got served.  [ghost_angry] I ended up going to the Daily Grill (in-house restaurant) and splitting a chicken dinner after the banquet. I was pretty angry about this. I talked to a number of other people in the Daily Grill who said they had been unable to eat the banquet meal either.  Apparently the lasagna was served because it was a cheaper alternative to the chicken, but it seems to me that much of the food was wasted on those of us who could not eat it.  You can't please everybody, but chicken (with an alternative for the vegetarian fans) is a relatively inoffensive choice (I've never heard of anyone allergic to chicken). I was tempted to ask Pierson for a partial refund to cover the second dinner that we ended up having to purchase, but ultimately decided that nothing would come of it.  I enjoy attending the banquet as a final closing celebration with my friends; I sure hope that next year's menu is an improvement over this year's, otherwise I may have to discontinue that tradition. $50 is too much to spend on just bread and salad.  [ghost_mad]

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2008, 04:21:23 AM »
Thanks, ProfStokes, for adding your take on the Fest. I look forward to your reports every year - even the years when I attend the Fest myself.

(my only minor quibble is that I think the scene of Stokes visiting the Old House for the first time and critiquing Barnabas's furniture and hospitality would have been a more fun clip to discuss than the seance to contact Philippe Cordier).

Most definitely. Stokes' first visit to the Old House is a classic DS scene. The Philippe Cordier seance? Not so much.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2008, 04:51:46 AM »
I've attended the banquets since 2002 and the main course has always been chicken.  Imagine my dismay when this year, the wait staff plops a plate of goo in front of us.

Well, you must remember, you were in California.  If it had been chicken, you would've had thousands with picket signs screaming and rampaging about how many chickens had to be murdered to feed you.  Don't forget:  FUR IS MURDER!...To Clean!  (Kidding!  I'm just kidding here about California!  I lived there for awhile.  I just had to get a little pun in here.)

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2008, 05:11:31 AM »
An additional Festival highlight was the Friday night skit by the Collinsport Players, a dramatic presentation written by Jeff Thompson that seemed to be a departure from the troupe's usual fare.  ProfStokes perfectly captured Victoria's confusion and loyalty (if bitten by the acting bug, I'm convinced she would succeed at a stage career; oh hell, she can do anything she wants).  Kudos also go to impressionist Jeff Black for his meticulous portrayal of Barnabas.  Julia Hoffman, cognizant of the danger imposed by Vicki's recent return from the past, was (I believe) played by Eileen Berger, and Jonathan Harrison gave an impressive performance as Barnabas' most formidable opponent-- Count Dracula himself.  Our own victoriawinters assistant directed.   [clap]

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2008, 05:15:28 AM »
  If it had been chicken, you would've had thousands with picket signs screaming and rampaging about how many chickens had to be murdered to feed you.  Don't forget:  FUR IS MURDER!...To Clean! 

Ah, yes, I remember that "30 Days" episode.  [ghost_tongue2]  Well, perhaps we could have tofurkey next time?

ProfStokes

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2008, 05:19:32 AM »
I'm just going to add my take on the events to this thread.

Friday
Robert Rodan was unable to make it to the Adam and Eve reunione because of traffic.  We were told that he would be present later in the weekend. In the meantime, Marie Wallace watched all the video clips herself and commented on them, gushing over Humbert Allen Astredo as Nicholas Blair. (That reminds me--the first act in Saturday's costume gala was Michael Culhane as Nicholas Blair, who led the audience in a salute commemorating the 40th anniversary of Astredo's first appearance on DS.  Apparently, Jim Pierson was going to send Astredo the video.) All of the actors' panels featured extemely lengthy video clips.  Usually, a 2-3 min clip is played to highlight one or two characters or to generate some conversation, but these were entire scenes, each at least 5-10 mins long, and there were 4-5 of them per panel. Personally, I would rather watch fewer videos and have extra time for Q&As.

"Willie Remembers" came next.  While on-stage, Karlen wore sunglasses almost the entire time, looking quite cool and reminding me of Jack Nicholson. In between video clips, Johnny joked a lot about his role as Willie and how he had to drain cows for Barnabas ("Not one, not two, but three or four cows a night!  Do you know how hard it is to sneak up behind a cow?  Do you know what they do? They don't say 'Moo'").  He praised Dennis Patrick and reminisced about all the fun and laughter they shared. After seeing a clip of Willie talking with the Eagle Hill Cemetery caretaker, he also asked for a minute of silence to honor "Whatever his name was" (Daniel Keyes). One of my favorite questions for Johnny came from a woman in a wheelchair.  She recalled the Las Vegas convention 10 years earlier.  "You were kind enough to push me all the way down that long hallway at the MGM Grand to get to the ballroom," she said.  "Oh, good. I thought you were going to tell me that I pushed you into the pool," Karlen laughed.  He said the Vegas Fest was his favorite.  Another lady asked him "a burning question that we ladies have wanted to know for the past 40 years." Since Willie had to help Barnabas find a new wardrobe for the 20th Century after releasing him, she wanted to know, "Does Barnabas wear boxers or briefs?"  Karlen chuckled before reporting to the amusement of all, "He doesn't wear anything." Another fan complimented him on all the weight he'd lost and how good he looked.  "The secret is to get rid of all the junk food," he explained.  "You've got to have the willpower to just throw it out.  Don't worry about the people in Shanghai and Thailand; they aren't going to be able to get it, so just get rid of it."  I thought he was hilarious!

I missed Lara and Kathryn's Q&A because I had to get ready for the Collinsport Players' skit. Thank you to everyone who attended our performance of "Curtains"!  I know it was very late and you were probably hungry, chilled, and tired from so much sitting already, but I appreciate that you came and supported us anyway! :)

Saturday
Marcy Robin was delayed, so her opening talk was cut short (mainly she reviewed how all of the actors died).  Pierson spoke for five minutes about the Depp movie, and then we watched an episode of the comedy series "JJ and the Governor" guest-starring Joan Bennet (in her yellow tent dress from House of DS) as a madam trying to make a political donation to the title character.  This show was a lot funnier than I'd expected it to be, and Joan was terrific.

Stuart Manning took the stage for the Big Finish panel and revealed that we will soon be hearing a new audio drama (maybe two) from our own Mark Rainey!  [clap2]  Stuart said that the next season of audio dramas has already gone into production and should be available by the end of the year.

I was in and out of the room for Sy Thomashoff's talk.

Bob Cobert was another laugh-a-minute guest. He came onstage dancing to the DS soundtrack and pretending to conduct the music.  Throughout the panel, he'd whistle and sing the songs (e.g. "Bee bee be bop be bee be bee"). He even came up with some lyrics for Josette's music box ("Hello, Jo.  This is your music box...")  Cobert retold the story of how he became a composer: "I was supposed to be 'My son the Doctor.'  I did several years of medical school, but I just hated it.  I'd always loved music and finally I told my parents that I wanted to be a composer.  Well, naturally they were thrilled.  Now instead of 'My Son the Doctor,' I was going to be 'My Son the Unemployed Composer.'" Cobert admitted that he's always been a lousy pianist and hated practicing piano.  "I finally begged my parents, 'Get me a clarinet or a saxophone, anything but a piano!' So they gave me a clarinet, and I couldn't put it down.  They'd say, 'Son, don't you want to eat?'  I just kept playing."  

He also told a funny story of how his kids, who were DS fans, were completely unaware that he wrote the music for it until a classmate pointed it out.  "They asked me, 'Dad, are you Robert Cobert?' I said, 'Yes, that's my name.'  
'Do you write the music for Dark Shadows?'  
'Yes, Dark Shadows puts food on our table, puts clothes on your back, sends you through school.'  
"Oh, OK.'"  

He also mentioned what a thrill it was to take the kids Christmas shopping at Macy's and, upon visiting the record department, to learn that "Dark Shadows by Robert Cobert" was the Number 1 album.  We learned that all the DS music, except for the theme song, was recorded in London because it was cheaper.  Cobert told another amusing story of how he came up with the DS theme (the paycheck and the need to eat are always his inspiration, he says) and how Curtis mucked around with the base during the initial recording of the song. Curtis was sure the song would sound better without the base.  Cobert tried to discourage him, pointing out that the experiment would waste both time and money, but he insisted.  Upon hearing the baseless tune, Curtis asked, "What happened?" After that he never interfered with Cobert again. We also learned (it was news to me anyway) that Cobert was commissioned by MGM to co-write the score for the wedding of Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier of Monaco.  (They had asked a friend to write the main theme but the studio, to whom Cobert was contracted, needed a B-side song so they could release a record of the music.  So he wrote "The Mediterannean Waltz").  Lastly, Cobert flirted with a young woman who asked a question (which I can't remember now) at the mike.  "We'll talk later," he promised her.  "I'll give you my phone number," she offered.  Members of the audience whistled.  "Just don't expect too much of me," Cobert warned, "I'm 83 years old.  But I am a very good kisser.  At least that's what I tell myself."

Frid's first panel was called "The Growth of Barnabas" where he screened clips of his favorite scenes from the show (Barnabas meeting David at the Old House, Barnabas and Burke having their 'duel' conversation at the Blue Whale, Barnabas hearing Sarah's voice singing for the first time in over a century, Barnabas learning Josette and Jeremiah were married). He discussed how mortified he was during the last scene because he forgot a line.  He managed to persuade the editor to let him back into the studio after hours in exchange for a publicity favor in order to fix the scene and cover up the gaffe.  Frid also mentioned what a wonderful actor Thayer David was and how much he admired him and enjoyed working with him.  He played three clips of Thayer's characters (Ben, Sandor, and Prof. Stokes). The last scene was of Stokes conducting a seance to communicate with Pierre Cordier, the ghostly lover of Danielle Roget. After the clips, Frid took a few questions from the audience, including the question about Grayson Hall, whether he would accept a cameo role in the new movie (no), and what he thought of Johnny Depp playing the part of Barnabas.  Frid confessed that he does not know who Depp is.  "I have not been to a movie theater in years.  I think the last film I saw was Titanic...maybe one other.  However, I'm told that he's a very good actor."

The cast reunion followed, featuring David Selby, Chris Pennock, John Karlen, Lara Parker, Jerry Lacy, KLS, Roger Davis, Marie Wallace and Robert Rodan.  I had hoped Frid would participate in this event too, but perhaps he was too tired. It's always a treat to see the actors interacting and teasing each other. At one point in the Q&A, a fan asked Pennock if he was still selling his comic books and Karlen exclaimed, "He's a shill! Pennock planted him!"  

Pennock was asked about his death scene as Gabriel in 1841 parallel time and whether he intentionally gave the middle finger to the camera (because that's what it sure looks like--MB, is there a screen cap anywhere on the board?)  "Oh, I was very angry to be killed off," Pennock admitted.  "I was not ready to leave.  But no, I wasn't crazy enough to do that.  I don't remember that at all." Pennock also said that he would be appearing in a comedic play in Idyllwild and another short film in which he plays a sociopath ("It's a stretch, I know.") who sells drugs to teenagers.

Lara Parker gushed about her new grandson Wesley, the light of her life.  "After he was born, I went online to visit different Bad Mother-in-Law websites and read the advice.  'Don't ever criticize your daughter-in-law or question her.  Don't tell her what to do with the baby.'  She wants him to develop at his own pace so she tells us not to play with him or challenge him.  When she leaves him with me, I listen to all of her instructions and say, 'OK'.  Then I wait for her to leave and I wait about 10 more minutes in case she comes back--sometimes she does.  Then, I take him out of the playpen and say, "Come on, Wesley! Let's play!"  Her enthusiasm was adorable.    Lara also mentioned that she is writing a new DS novel set in the 1920s where Elizabeth is a flapper who falls in love with Quentin.  "Of course, he doesn't age, but she does." Her description of the book sounded fascinating.  I've always like the Roaring 20s as a setting for DS.  I simply wasn't sure if Elizabeth's age on the series fit the timeline (would she be old enough to be a flapper?) but after seeing the "Characters' Ages" topic now in Current Talk, I'm satisfied.

Someone asked Karlen about working with Tyne Daly on "Cagney & Lacey".  He said they still keep in touch and had had dinner together recently.  "In all the years we worked together, we never once had to exchange notes on our scenes.  That's remarkable for an actor."  Karlen also started reciting Shakespeare at one point.  He was pretty passionate.  He confessed that he misses acting ("I stopped doing it because I just got lazy") but that he is considering getting back into the business. I was thrilled to hear this.  I think Johnny's work on the DS audio dramas is spectacular and I would absolutely love to see him on TV again, or the stage.

The biggest surprise of the panel was from Roger Davis, returning to the Fest for the  first time since 2003.  He told us that his brother had recently died of a heart problem, and it inspired him to get a cardiogram of his own.  "The doctor told me, 'You have a blockage.  In another 90 days, you'll be dead.'  It was the same thing that killed Tim Russert.  I had a bypass and I've been on a special diet ever since."  He talked about attending events for "Alias, Smith & Jones" with Ben Murphy.  "Murphy told me, 'I would have been nicer to you if I had known this was going to be the high point of my career."  

The cast was asked if they ever attended conventions for their other shows besides DS (e.g. "Falcon Crest," "Smith and Jones," "Cagney & Lacey.")  Nearly everyone all said no.  "We only love you!" John Karlen declared. The cast was also asked about their most memorable moments on DS.  Selby remembered the studio catching fire and the fire department coming to put it out.  Karlen remembered everyone going out for drinks to the Brittany du Soir after taping.  Roger Davis recalled that when he played vampire Dirk, he rushed at Joan Bennet and she fell over. "That's because you pushed her," KLS scolded.  "I didn't mean to," he argued back.  "I just get so caught up in my roles."  The panel talked at length and were very interesting.  I think a lot of people from the audience missed this event though because they had gone to get food.

I missed Darren Gross's Night of DS panel because I was getting ready for the costume gala.  :'( A couple of people told me the next day that there were technical difficulties and Darren was not able to show the special restored scene after all! This clip did play at the banquet (the one good thing about the event).  It's a scene where Angelique (in the past) is playing Quentin's Theme and tells Charles that it reminds her of him when he's away.  They flirt--right in front of Charles's wife Laura, who accuses Angelique of bewitching her husband.  It was a splendid scene, one that really helps to round out the characters.  The only downside is that Diana Millay's voice sounds so much rougher and older than she did in 1971, so it's not a seamless redo.  

Sunday
After Frank's lecture and Chris's video, KLS spoke.  She complimented his short film as a compassionate study of homeless life, explaining that she knows a lot of people in show business who have fallen on hard times and are now living out of their cars.  Kathryn volunteers with the homeless through her church during the weekends.  She is working on three different novels right now, including two mysteries, and has also just filmed a commercial for Actonel (Osteoporosis medication).  "Apparently at my age," she joked, "the only commercials you get to make anymore feature body parts that don't work anymore or are falling off." She spent the bulk of her Q&A outlining her vision for Maggie's character in the new movie (see my reply to "Movie Cast Ideas" in Current Talk '08 II).

Jerry Lacy watched clips of all of his performances as Trask (but not Tony Peterson).  Asked what was 1795 Rev. Trasks's first name, he christened him Orville, then admitted the character had never been given a first name.  Lacy was also asked if he'd ever received hate mail because his characters were so evil.  "If I did, nobody ever gave them to me."

I missed Lara Parker's Q&A, the auction, and the first part of the "lost script." I've already written about the rest of Sunday's events.

Each night of the Festival, I stayed up until the wee hours socializing with other fasn, both old and new friends, and had a blast!  On Saturday night, we even had a little birthday celebration for Minja and sheenasma in the corridor between the West Wing tower elevators and the Daily Grill.  The friendships and camaraderie are always the highlight of these events in my book.  [ghost_smiley]  I already can't wait for next year.   [ghost_grin]

ProfStokes

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2008, 05:23:59 AM »
An additional Festival highlight was the Friday night skit by the Collinsport Players

Thank you, Midnite! [blshy]

ProfStokes

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2008, 05:37:55 AM »
there were many technical problems with both video and audio as reported by prof stokes and others. Richard Halpern did not get to play BABY DARK SHADOWS which would have been hilarious. Darren had problems playing his restored scene and Chris Pennock had problems playing his movie. The reason for all this is due to home burned dvds. some dvd players (especially older model dvd players)have problems playing these types of discs no matter how much u clean them. to keep this from happening in the future the festival needs to have a later model dvd player available to play the various types of dvds being brought in by fans and actors. better yet they should take the time to play the dvds ahead of time to make sure they play but i doubt theres time to do that.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2008, 06:06:01 AM »
Pennock was asked about his death scene as Gabriel in 1841 parallel time and whether he intentionally gave the middle finger to the camera (because that's what it sure looks like--MB, is there a screen cap anywhere on the board?)  "Oh, I was very angry to be killed off," Pennock admitted.  "I was not ready to leave.  But no, I wasn't crazy enough to do that.  I don't remember that at all."

Yes, there's this from the History Slideshow for March 23rd:

1971: Ep #1237 - After struggling with Morgan, Gabriel (in Chris
Pennock's last episode) is skewered by a suit of armor's sword.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2008, 06:27:03 AM »
there were many technical problems with both video and audio as reported by prof stokes and others. Richard Halpern did not get to play BABY DARK SHADOWS which would have been hilarious. Darren had problems playing his restored scene and Chris Pennock had problems playing his movie. The reason for all this is due to home burned dvds. some dvd players (especially older model dvd players)have problems playing these types of discs no matter how much u clean them. to keep this from happening in the future the festival needs to have a later model dvd player available to play the various types of dvds being brought in by fans and actors. better yet they should take the time to play the dvds ahead of time to make sure they play but i doubt theres time to do that.

Even worse is they rented a piece-of-s**t Pioneer player, and Pioneers are notorious for being extremely problematic with DVD-Rs, and even some store-bought DVDs.  When I worked at a DVD testing lab, the majority of problems always happened with the Pioneers... 

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2008, 07:10:59 AM »
Does anyone who attended the fest remember the name of the novel that Lara says is the inspiration for her next novel in which Elizabeth and Quentin meet in the roaring '20s? She mentioned it during the cast reunion on Sat. and KLS said she liked that book, but I forgot.

Also, for those who attended the banquet. Sorry to hear about the food. How about the autographed picture of Jonathan Frid? Any chance of a screen cap or description of the photograph? I assume it must be him as Barnabas. Is it a rare shot? Is it an 8 x 10? Details, please. [ghost_smiley]

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2008, 08:30:25 AM »
Pennock was asked about his death scene as Gabriel in 1841 parallel time and whether he intentionally gave the middle finger to the camera (because that's what it sure looks like--MB, is there a screen cap anywhere on the board?)

Yes, there's this from the History Slideshow for March 23rd:
Wow, thanks, MB!  [ghost_cheesy] If our club is able to attend Pennock's play, I may print this out to show to him.  Maybe it will refresh his memory. ;)

ProfSotkes

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »
THANKS PS I really enjoy your accounts they almost make me feel as if I were there. :) Anything else you think of don't hesitate to post it for us!!!  AGAIN thanks!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »
If our club is able to attend Pennock's play, I may print this out to show to him.  Maybe it will refresh his memory. ;)

It may be as simple as he was just holding his jacket closed so that whatever they used to strap the the sword on didn't show underneath. But at the same time it would certainly be interesting to confront him as to why he used, uh, that particular finger arrangement.  Freudian slip perhaps?  [ghost_cheesy]