Author Topic: PRIMARY PROP  (Read 4337 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
PRIMARY PROP
« on: April 17, 2002, 07:39:40 PM »
There were so many props used during the run of the Series. The range was from a deck of Tarot cards to a music box. Everyone came away with a favorite. What is yours and why?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: PRIMARY PROP
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2002, 08:19:27 PM »
1) Barnabas' Ring....I HAD one of those in the 60's....what are they going for on E-Bay?

2)Willie Loomis' Apron....where do you think Home Depot got the design?  ;D

3) The Bat-on-a-Stick....just for being the cheeziest prop on the show, IMHO. [lghy]

Raineypark, who thinks this is a great question, VAM!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2002, 08:23:15 PM »
I would have to say the music box with Josette's theme!
There are so many to think of but that is the one i
I think of the most when i remember the show!

jennifer 8)Wow it's almost 90 here!!!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 08:49:01 PM »
My favorite was always Josette's music box!

Another favorite was Quentin's old gramophone or victrola.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2002, 09:39:42 PM »
[wavey] These are my top three...

1.  The  MUSIC BOXby far!  My most wonderful DS revisited moment was the day the little replica (¢â‚¬Ëœ90's version unfortunately NOT the original ¢â‚¬Ëœ60's one) arrived in the mail!  For me it was the most beautiful and romantic symbol on DS and summed up how I related to the entire show.

2. After that I had to buy the replica of BARNABAS' ONYX RINGto go with the music box of course.  This ring was so prominent all through the show that it became a kind of icon.  Also, I thought the way Barn wore it on his forefinger was just cool.

3.  If it didn't cost a fortune I'd also love to have the WOLF'S HEAD CANE aka the Willie Beater.  Not that I enjoyed seeing Willie get the daylights knocked out of him - it's just that it's such a beautiful piece of work to begin with.  As to the replica I've seen advertised on the Internet well, I just can't go the $400 (probably more by now) so this will have to remain a pipe dream.  I've always thought the silver handle would be a nice DS inspired bracelet though it might cost even more to make that than it would to buy the cane. [nuts]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2002, 09:47:01 PM »
Oh, one more ... the

OLD DISCONNECTED TELEPHONEin Quentin's room.  [jawdrp] because it alone represents the single most frightening part of DS (IMO).
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2002, 10:00:50 PM »
I have to agree with you all, Josette's Music Box is right up there among the favorites, along with Barnabas' ring. I have both, sitting next to some rocks I collected from my trip to Newport RI, at "Widow's Hill."

I'd love to get my hands on Barnabas' cane too, to hang on my wall. Also, I love some of the wall sconces and chambersticks that are in The Old House, and would love to have some of them in my own house!  ;D

K#2

"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2002, 10:16:41 PM »
Interesting topic.  Unlike many fans, I've never felt the impulse to own Josette's music box, Barnabas' ring or his cane, though the latter is VERY cool and magickal.

What I did crave and demanded until my own set was given to me were Magda's tarot cards (I didn't realize that they were originally owned by the Countess du Pres until many years after the run of the original broadcast).  I went to the library, checked out Eden Gray's tarot books, and made my own traced copies of the major arcana cards until I got my own deck as a Christmas present in 1970.  The deck I was given was the "IJJ" Swiss one (so called because of the Jupiter and Juno cards that are said to be unique to this deck), which was the same one used by Magda.  Back in the Sixties, it was still very difficult to find tarot cards.  I really wanted a Pamela Colman Smith (aka "Rider Waite") deck because I loved the images so much, but had to wait until just a few years ago when I finally bought one for myself.

Other props I loved on the show were the painted Egyptian-looking coffer that held Count Petofi's hand (and was often glimpsed on an end table in the upstairs corridor in the present-day episodes), the Naga box, Laura's scarab, and, of course ... THE AFGHAN!!!

Does Cassandra Collins' wig collection count as a prop?  That would be on my list, too.

Gothick

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2002, 10:23:33 PM »
My favorite props are the Barnabas cane and the black onyx ring he wore. I have replicas of both of these items. They are proudly displayed in my mega Dark Shadows collection!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2002, 10:26:52 PM »
Gothick, I would think you'd want to be VERY careful what sort of magick you created with a 'wand' routinely used to beat a man, wouldn't you?

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2002, 11:30:36 PM »
[wavey] These are my top three...

1.  The  MUSIC BOXby far!  My most wonderful DS revisited moment was the day the little replica (‘90’s version unfortunately NOT the original ‘60’s one) arrived in the mail!  For me it was the most beautiful and romantic symbol on DS and summed up how I related to the entire show.

2. After that I had to buy the replica of BARNABAS' ONYX RINGto go with the music box of course.  This ring was so prominent all through the show that it became a kind of icon.  Also, I thought the way Barn wore it on his forefinger was just cool.

3.  If it didn’t cost a fortune I’d also love to have the WOLF'S HEAD CANE aka the Willie Beater.  Not that I enjoyed seeing Willie get the daylights knocked out of him - it's just that it's such a beautiful piece of work to begin with.  As to the replica I've seen advertised on the Internet well, I just can’t go the $400 (probably more by now) so this will have to remain a pipe dream.  I've always thought the silver handle would be a nice DS inspired bracelet though it might cost even more to make that than it would to buy the cane. [nuts]

how nicely you put that Castlebee! I feel the same and feel that is why i love music boxes today What a romantic gift too!
i forgot about  the cane that was pretty cool!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2002, 11:34:58 PM »
Oh, one more ... the

OLD DISCONNECTED TELEPHONEin Quentin's room.  [jawdrp] because it alone represents the single most frightening part of DS (IMO).

also agree with you on!  that phone was to me the most scary thing on DS there was a twilight zone
episode when an old lady gets calls from her dead love on her phone too which i always thought was pretty scary!
as someone said  sometimes less is more!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2002, 11:59:56 PM »

Does Cassandra Collins' wig collection count as a prop?  That would be on my list, too.

Gothick

For you Steve,  it sure does!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2002, 12:04:49 AM »
From Gothick:
What I did crave and demanded until my own set was given to me were Magda's tarot cards.....(snip)....I went to the library, checked out Eden Gray's tarot books, and made my own traced copies of the major arcana cards until I got my own deck as a Christmas present in 1970.  The deck I was given was the "IJJ" Swiss one (so called because of the Jupiter and Juno cards that are said to be unique to this deck), which was the same one used by Magda.

I have those cards too! Found mine on eBay, and also recently sold a brand new deck (sealed) there too. They are pretty cool, huh?  8)  

Other props I loved on the show were...(snip) the painted Egyptian-Laura's scarab

I've seen that on eBay too...check w/ Craig Hamrick, I think he was the seller?  ?!?  He might know where you can get it.

and, of course ... THE AFGHAN!!!

I just ran across the almost *identical* afghan my great grandmother knitted, all rumpled up in a dusty corner of my mom's garage last weekend! I couldn't believe what a find that was!  :o   It's getting some TLC at the moment, soaking in Woolite  ;) , hopefully I will be able to resurrect it!

LOL! You crack me up, Gothick! Of course it counts, but I think that would qualify as another one of the Collins' house pets  ;)

K#2

"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2002, 12:33:22 AM »
My favorite prop is Josette's Musicbox. I remember seeing the episode from 1795 where Angelique found it. That was the first time I had heard it. I kept rewinding the tape just to listen to it. It really symbolized to me the love between Josette and Barnabas. Whenever I hear it, it reminds me of Josette because of the way she was on the show. So far on the small screen I've seen it once more in #425 and in "House of Dark Shadows". I usually listen to it everyday on my computer. LOL I guess that sums up why I love the musicbox.