Poll

What do you believe happened to Maggie Evans after Barnabas and Julia returned from 1840, having changed history?

Maggie remained in Wyndcliffe for many years before finally recovering.
Maggie remained in Wyndcliffe for many years and never fully recovered.
Maggie remained in Wyndcliffe for a short time before fully recovering, and resumed her duties as governess.
Maggie remained in Wyndcliffe for a short time and left fully recovered, but did not return to Collinwood.
Maggie remained in Wyndcliffe for a short time before she and Joe left fully recovered and got married.
Maggie remained in Wyndcliffe for a short time and resumed her duties as governess, but did not fully recover.
Maggie remained in Wyndcliffe for a short time, but did not recover and did not return to Collinwood.
After history was changed, Maggie was never at Wyndcliffe at all, but was governess at Collinwood as if the events of summer 1970 never happened.

Author Topic: DS 1971 and beyond  (Read 1917 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
DS 1971 and beyond
« on: November 12, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »
If you feel two or more outcomes are equally likely, vote for them accordingly.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: DS 1971 and beyond
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:03:35 PM »
Maggie remained in Wyndcliff for a short time  before she and Joe left fully recovered and got married.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:49:53 AM »
I say it never happened and she married Joe and they go off together to start a new life [love3]. However, had the show continued, one or both would return in a couple of years to settle in Collinsport. Perhaps with their first child.  Speaking of children - there was definately a shortage of them in Collinwood by the end of the show what with David, Amy and the other kiddies quickly moving into puberty and beyond. A few mini-kids might have been a nice touch and maybe even a boost to the show.   
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 12:28:56 AM »
Was there an explanation given in the "Return to Collinwood" CD?  I'd think that would be considered canon. 

If anyone knows, could you please post the answer (using spoiler alerts, of course)?

Thanks.   :)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 06:59:16 PM »
the "Return to Collinwood" CD?  I'd think that would be considered canon.

Canon?!  :o  Bite your tongue (or should that be sprain your fingers?  ;))!!  :D  When it comes to the daytime DS, the only thing that I consider canon is what actually took place on the TV series. I don't consider the elements in Art Wallace's Shadows On The Wall that were never incorporated into the actual storylines to be canon - I don't consider any of the backstory within Angelique's Descent to be canon (heaven forbid on much of that score, actually [haironend]) - and I don't even consider Sam Hall's TV Guide article (Whatever Happened To Barnabas and Co.) to be canon either. (And sorry Jamison Selby fans, BUT nothing that includes Carolyn married to [puke] Ned Stuart could ever be seriously considered canon in my book!!  [sad3])

To me, RTC is a fanciful skit that was presented at the Fest. The fact that the DS actors took part in it might make it a cut above, say, what the Collinsport Players might do (though I love their skits [thumb]), but like what the CPs do, I would never consider RTC (or this past Fest's Vengeance At Collinwood) as canon.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 07:16:30 PM »
 I agree.  RTC isn't in continuity IMO.  I liken it to the "Star Wars Expanded Universe" stuff, which is okayed by Lucas, but is not in "official continuity."  In fact, I think this subject might make a good poll. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 07:27:41 PM »
I liken it to the "Star Wars Expanded Universe" stuff, which is okayed by Lucas, but is not in "official continuity."

Exactly. I also liken it to the Buffy/Angel novels that continue the story beyond where those series ended. The stories are sanctioned by Buffy/Angel creator Joss Whedon, but he doesn't consider anything about them to be Buffy/Angel canon. They're merely the writers' imaginings of what *might* be...

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 02:22:34 AM »
WOW!  Okay, maybe not so much canon after all.   

8)  (in disguise to avoid the tar and feathers)

;D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 02:47:52 AM »
WOW!  Okay, maybe not so much canon after all.

;D

(in disguise to avoid the tar and feathers)

You can certainly take off the disguise - you're in absolutely NO danger of a tar and feathering.  :)  It's just that I suppose one might say that we take the DS canon a bit seriously around here.  [b003]

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 05:51:38 AM »
 There was a lot of stuff that CDT didn't think would happen if they continued the show. He didn't think they would kill off Roger and he didn't believe that all that globetrotting would be going on. Also Sam Hall made Barnabus come back as a vampire when we all know that Angelique lifted the curse from him in 1840.   
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 06:03:15 AM »
He didn't think they would kill off Roger

Roger may have indeed been killed off because before DS was canceled Louis Edmonds was seriously considering leaving the show. We have no way of knowing if Edmonds actually would have - but if he did, it does seem very likely that Roger may have been killed off because that seems to be the way it worked whenever several of the actors left.

Also Sam Hall made Barnabus come back as a vampire when we all know that Angelique lifted the curse from him in 1840.

That's actually a matter of much debate in fandom for the reason that Barnabas' curse in the present had been placed on him by Jeb and not Angelique. Personally, if Sam Hall believed Barnabas would have still been a vampire when he returned to '71, then I believe that's how things would have played out had the show continued past 1841PT.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 07:37:29 AM »
With Babylon Five, after a certain point the novels are absolutely considered "canon", for what it's worth.

Personally, when in doubt, I decide my own personal "canon" based on whether the fiction in question worked for me and was challenging.

Do I really need to say it?    Because in 1840 Angelique lifted the Curse on BC, and obviously BC didn't get back into the box, the very first appearance of BC in the 20th century was when he popped into existence with Julia in 1971 via the Stairway.     This creates so many insoluble problems that worrying about whether he would or wouldn't be a vampire is beside the point.

I agree that someone coming up with a post-cancellation scenario years later would choose different events than someone writing for a real non-cancelled DS that continued past 1841 PT.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 05:11:15 PM »
I agree. If it didn't happen on the show, it isn't to be counted.
Julianka

Canon?!  :o  Bite your tongue (or should that be sprain your fingers?  ;))!!  :D  When it comes to the daytime DS, the only thing that I consider canon is what actually took place on the TV series. I don't consider the elements in Art Wallace's Shadows On The Wall that were never incorporated into the actual storylines to be canon - I don't consider any of the backstory within Angelique's Descent to be canon (heaven forbid on much of that score, actually [haironend]) - and I don't even consider Sam Hall's TV Guide article (Whatever Happened To Barnabas and Co.) to be canon either. (And sorry Jamison Selby fans, BUT nothing that includes Carolyn married to [puke] Ned Stuart could ever be seriously considered canon in my book!!  [sad3])

To me, RTC is a fanciful skit that was presented at the Fest. The fact that the DS actors took part in it might make it a cut above, say, what the Collinsport Players might do (though I love their skits [thumb]), but like what the CPs do, I would never consider RTC (or this past Fest's Vengeance At Collinwood) as canon.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 06:10:22 AM »
I agree. If it didn't happen on the show, it isn't to be counted.
Canon?!  :o  Bite your tongue (or should that be sprain your fingers?  ;))!!  :D  When it comes to the daytime DS, the only thing that I consider canon is what actually took place on the TV series.

I have to disagree.  I think any drama using the original actors, that is sanctioned by Dan Curtis Productions should be considered canonical, providing it doesn't contradict the series too terribly.  Return to Collinwood and the Big Finish Series have the original actors repirsing their roles.  Royalties are paid and I don't see any reason, at present, not to count them.  Yes, there are some fine points that need a bit of clarification.  But remember, this is DS. The accounts of Barnabas' early life don't coincide with what we see in 1795.

As for Vengeance at Collinwood, I'm unsure about that one.  Its never been released, but it was performed.

I also have disagree with a comment that nearly equated these plays with the Collinsport Player skits.  These professional dramas are on a different level.  The skits are funny, well written and acted, but they are not intended to extend the DS storyline.  They are the equivalent of a Saturday Night Live or Mad TV skit.

As for Lara's book, I'd have to put the audio dramas on a higher level.  As much as I enjoyed the books, DS was a DRAMA, as are the CDs.  Yes, the format is different, but they are essentially the same, with actors portraying familiare roles.  This is not unprecedented.  Some soaps started on radiio and continued on TV.  I'm told the Guiding Light acknowleges its Old Time Radio past and has made references to it.

Discounting the audio dramas out of hand would be similar to a Trekker disavowing the films because it wasn't they weren't TV shows.  In fact, I distinctly remember several people who tried to claim that the first motion picture was not canonical.

Any way, that's my two cents.  I suppose its a moot point.  Only Dan Curtis Productions can make a formal announcement regarding whether or not anything is canon.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »
I believe Barnabas was [spoiler]a human when he, Julia and Stokes came back from 1840. Angelique promised him that the curse was gone forever (though I hardly take anythng she says as gospel, I do believe she was sincere this time) and I don't think the change of events really did anything to put the curse back on him.

Since Gerard and Daphne never haunted Collinwood and since Roxanne was destroyed back in 1840 I say Maggie never got bitten and stayed on as governess as Collinwood.[/spoiler]