Author Topic: What happened to Willie's "fiance"?  (Read 7829 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Willie's "fiance"?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
MB did you just imply that we can't assume anything that isn't explicitly made clear on DS?

One just can't pull assumptions out of thin air to make circumstances meet a theory.  [ghost_wink]  Things don't always have to made explicitly clear on DS to accept them, especially if there is indirect evidence as support - but there does need to be at least some sort of hinted at reason to doubt them. With Willie and his Roxanne, there was nothing to indicate that their relationship was anything other than what Willie presented it as, and more importantly there's absolutely no evidence of any sort that he knew vamp Roxanne at all.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 06:04:13 PM »
I was drawing on Willie's mental instability and terrible sense of loneliness that could have easily driven him to pretend (or possibly believe in his mind) to have that conversation. I mean come ont he guy spent time in a mental instituation, lol... [ghost_cheesy]

By the way I'm joking, but you should watch that scene under the assumption that there is no one on the other line ... it's pretty funny  [ghost_smiley]
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 05:02:18 AM »
Did I start this?   If there was anything to my stray thought that Willie was the original Sebastain Shaw, then it was abandoned before any filming took place.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
MB did you just imply that we can't assume anything that isn't explicitly made clear on DS?   [ghost_huh] If you've ever attempted to explain the 1840 storyline and how it relates to 1970, then this must be abandoned  [ghost_smiley]
Right you are, Garth.  In 1970, both Daphne and Sebastian imply some sort of connection between Roxanne and Gerard Stiles.  Once the stoty shifts to 1840 proper, the characters barely know each other.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
Though when it comes to Roxanne in 1840 we have to keep in mind that [spoiler]she wasn't originally destroyed,[/spoiler]so we have no way of knowing whether or not the connection Daphne and Sebastian implied between Roxanne and Gerard might have happened at some point after that in the original timeline.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 09:53:55 PM »
MB-- That is exactly the kind of extrapolation beyond what the show tells us that I was referring to that is necessary for the 1840/1970 storyline

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »
Though there are probably numerous examples of something that was mentioned/established before a journey into the past occurred but turned out to be very different in the past - it's certainly not something exclusive to 1840/41. I mean, OMG - look at 1795/96!  [eek]  And at least when someone has altered something in the past, it can make sense with little to no extrapolation why what was originally established in the present didn't take place in the past as we saw it. But with 1795/96 Vicki certainly never changed anything that would have so radically shifted the past from all that we were led to believe in the present. When it comes to discrepancies between the present day story and what actually transpired in the past, 1795/96 is hands down the storyline with the most glaring inconsistencies - and the show does little to nothing to explain away many of them! Not even Joshua's redacting of history manages to explain away everything.  [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:39 AM »
Barnabas is a great big fibber.  There, 1795 all solved....

As for 1970/1840, I'm going to mention periodically my newfound conviction that Barnabas and Julia fixed history and therefore averted most of the events or relationships implied in 1970.   Judah Stiles' real reign of terror begins after he becomes master of Collinwood.    Were there any specifics about Roxanne/Gerard in 1970?  I don't remember any of that.

Actually they fixed history and then re-broke it, in a different way.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 05:02:12 AM »
Barnabas is a great big fibber.  There, 1795 all solved....

Sorry, but Barnabas isn't the only source for some of the things we were led to believe about 1795 that turned out not to be true. Not by a long shot!  [b003]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2008, 03:42:43 AM »
There were a lot of threads that were just left loose around that time period. That was about the same time that Angelique [spoiler]cast the spell on Quentin and Maggie,[/spoiler] and we never saw that resolved, either. Wonder why.

That always bothered me as well. Probably actor availability as much as anything else.  Lara Parker was off the show for quite a while after the PT/1995 storyline.  When she finally returned, KLS had left the show for good. 
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 06:13:56 PM »
we never saw that resolved, either. Wonder why.

I think it makes some amount of sense that that was never resolved:

[spoiler]
Two reasons: 1) Josette basically "broke up" with him when she gave him back her ring late in the leviathan story. This probably had some affect on his feelings for maggie. 2) He went into PT while this saga you mentioned was occurring. While there he fell in love with another person (roxanne). So when he got back, there was no need to continue the spell on Q and M (and Angelique had mysteriously disappeared  by that time, LOL.. I guess she knew what happened to B in PT or something, lol...)
[/spoiler]

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2008, 06:17:51 PM »
Sorry, but Barnabas isn't the only source for some of the things we were led to believe about 1795 that turned out not to be true. Not by a long shot!  [b003]

The family history, various family legends, and Barnabas' memory were all severely flawed. There, all solved!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2008, 06:39:12 PM »
If that will work for 1795/96, well, then one can use the exact same/similar excuses for 1840/41.  [ghost_wink]  All solved there, too.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »
If that will work for 1795/96, well, then one can use the exact same/similar excuses for 1840/41.  [ghost_wink]  All solved there, too.

I don't follow. The mistakes about 1795/6 were primarily factual errors, such as the names of people and the years that things happened.
There was little reference in 1970 to historical events of 1840/1-- the problems there were more of the flavor of "wow this really just makes no sense, and I have to make up some crazy story about how 1840 relates to the events of 1970  [ghost_sad]"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »
Well, IF we want to go that route, then everything that we supposedly learned in 1970 was the byproduct of severely faulty memories or outright fantasies. Perhaps even Gerard/Judah deliberately caused everyone to spread misinformation. So, see - all explained away.  [b003]