Author Topic: Average Views....  (Read 879 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Average Views....
« on: August 05, 2016, 04:15:52 AM »
On forum stats, it says "Average Views/Page" as OVER 9000 a day??? What?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Average Views....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »
Well, Just to clear up any possible confusion, that actually means that on average over 9000 individual pages on the forum are viewed every day - not that one page is viewed over 9000 times.

And to be honest, the number is actually higher than that because the forum began on January 16, 2002, but counting page views has only been a feature since some point on February 17, 2003. And that means that the average, which is calculated by dividing the number of page views per day by the number of days the forum has been in existence, is considering that all the days between and including January 16, 2002 through February 16, 2003 there were 0 page views every day, which was certainly not the case. I'd have to alter the routine that calculates the page views for it to be an accurate reflection. And while I have done that in the past, I haven't done it in this version of SMF.  [ghost_nowink]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:43:57 AM »
on average over 9000 individual pages on the forum are viewed every day

9000 individual pages are viewed every day???

How long would it take me to view 9000 pages?

I'm missing something....

How many pages are on the entire forum?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 07:43:15 AM »
How many pages are on the entire forum?

Well, there are currently 302,737 posts on the forum - so at 30 posts displayed per page, that alone would be over 10,000 pages just for posts. Plus there's things like the BoardIndex, and the MessageIndex pages for each board (currently 153 boards, all with multiple MessageIndex pages). And then there are multiple Help, Search, and Profile(several pages for each member) pages, as well as multiple PM, Calendar, and Members List pages. And there are pages for the Who's Online, Show unread posts since last visit, Show new replies to your posts, and View most recent posts features. And there are also pages for Midnite, dom, and I to administer the forum. So, honestly, it's close to impossible to figure out how many pages are actually on the forum. And then factor in that many pages are viewed multiple times depending on how many members and guests visit in a given day, and it's quite easy to imagine that on average over 9,000 pages are viewed every day.  [ghost_wink]  In fact, just yesterday 33,114 pages were viewed. However, that's not typical. Currently, typical page views are anywhere from about 14,000 to 18,000 per day.