Author Topic: Fall of the House of Usher on Tonight - O.T.  (Read 813 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Fall of the House of Usher on Tonight - O.T.
« on: May 15, 2002, 01:53:01 AM »
I'm breaking my self-imposed (temporary) exile again, only to let people know that the movie "The Fall of the House of Usher" airs tonight on AMC at 11:40 P.M. E.T. (But beware -- AMC's times are often approximate.)

I think there were a few people who were interested in this and other Poe adaptations.  "House of Usher" is supposed to be one of the best, and there's also the DS connection ...  In one of the first couple of episodes of the series, Carolyn (in that fakey high-pitched voice she was using at the beginning) welcomed Victoria to "The House of Usher."

This was one of my favorite Poe stories and I can't wait to see what the house looks like.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Fall of the House of Usher on Tonight - O.T.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2002, 08:09:24 AM »
I missed it !!!  I just caught the last few minutes of the movie, where the house burnt down!  Darn!

I was recording the last episode of Dinotopia for my son and husband.    :(

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Fall of the House of Usher on Tonight - O.T.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2002, 03:20:26 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Donna.  I was recording "Dinotopia" too, but "House of Usher" didn't start until 40 minutes after that in my time zone.  I think AMC airs these Poe adaptations at least a couple times every year (I always missed them), though that could change soon as AMC is planning to adopt a more TNT-like format.

I caught most of "Usher," but I had just arrived home and had to do stuff in the kitchen and eat, so I missed parts of it ...

They really jazzed up the original Poe story: for example, the whole love interest and the fire at the end.  I thought I was watching "Jane Eyre" at that point.  I guess the fire part worked, but it wasn't really necessary.  In the story the house just crumbles and collapses.

The house was pretty great with all the ornate furnishings, but I thought it should have been darker and more fraying and shabby rather than "museum perfect."

They also missed an opportunity at the beginning to have a voiceover quoting Poe's wonderfully evocative opening narration which could have been very effective in setting the mood:

DURING the whole of a dull, dark, and soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens, I had been passing alone, on horseback, through a singularly dreary tract of country; and at length found myself, as the shades of the evening drew on, within view of the melancholy House of Usher. I know not how it was -- but, with the first glimpse of the building, a sense of insufferable gloom pervaded my spirit. ...

My favorite part was when Vincent Price tells how the house and the entire surrounding countryside became blighted from the many evils practiced by generations of Ushers ...  And those portraits were very chilling.  I think this explanation added a lot to the story even though it isn't explicit in Poe that I recall.

I was puzzled at first when the visitor (a very wooden Hispanic-looking actor) said he was calling on "Misasha."  It sounded like a Russian name until I realized that he was saying "Miss Usher."  He was supposed to be from Boston in the movie (instead of being Roderick's childhood friend as in Poe), so maybe that was a Boston accent (I've never been there but I think they drop their final "r's," don't they?   :) )

It's also interesting to note that Charles Dickens may have borrowed from Poe (they admired each other's work) in describing Mrs. Clennam's house and how it has absorbed evil in "Little Dorrit."   :)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995