Author Topic: Spyware Researchers Discover ID Theft Ring  (Read 988 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Spyware Researchers Discover ID Theft Ring
« on: August 09, 2005, 05:17:23 PM »
If you have the CoolWebSearch program installed on your computer, beware:

Spyware researchers picking apart one of the more notorious spyware programs have stumbled upon what appears to be a massive identity theft ring hijacking confidential data from millions of infected computers. Read the details here: Spyware Researchers Discover ID Theft Ring

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Spyware Researchers Discover ID Theft Ring
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:19:43 AM »
The link didn't work.

What's your opinion of the free SpyBot and AdAware?  My hard drive crashed and I got a new one.  The Gateway tech who was helping me reinstall said that the free programs often install some of the bad items themselves.  Of course, he was trying to sell the Gateway security package.  A number of the WordPerfect Universe people have mentioned them and seem to think they are good.  I thought I'd get some opinions before reinstalling them.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 05:27:50 PM »
What's your opinion of the free SpyBot and AdAware?

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on this. But as you know, I use Linux, so I've never actually used SpyBot or AdAware. I asked around to see if any colleagues who do still use Windows have tried them, but no luck. Sorry.  :(

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 09:32:08 PM »
Last year, my work PC became so infected with spyware that the systems librarian had to wipe it. We have something like CounterSpy??? which the school pays for, but she's encouraged us to download and use Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware. I also use SpywareBlaster, which I like a lot. The other two make you scan and they delete the spyware after the fact. SpywareBlaster does it as you surf. I downloaded all three programs from MajorGeeks.com . You just need to remember to update them often.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 05:26:57 AM »
What's your opinion of the free SpyBot and AdAware? My hard drive crashed and I got a new one. The Gateway tech who was helping me reinstall said that the free programs often install some of the bad items themselves. Of course, he was trying to sell the Gateway security package. A number of the WordPerfect Universe people have mentioned them and seem to think they are good. I thought I'd get some opinions before reinstalling them.

I have heard the same thing from many IT personnel I run into.  I personally have purchased Pest Patrol put out by Computer Associates.  Unfortunately, the free programs don't get everything.  Be careful what you delete as it can be a bit strong and you might delete something you actually need.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 08:34:49 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  On the WP forum they feel that SpyBot and AdAware are good, but one warned to be careful where you get them.  Apparently some make programs with almost identical names, but it's not the real thing and those could have "bad" things in them.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 04:11:53 PM »
Apparently some make programs with almost identical names, but it's not the real thing and those could have "bad" things in them.

Why doesn't that surprise me?  ::)

And I'm happy to see that even though I wasn't able to help, Luciaphil and victoriawinters were able to offer some good suggestions.  [thumb] ladys.  :)