Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 775 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Suggestions
« on: September 09, 2002, 06:57:08 AM »
Hi MB!

I know absolutely nothing about websites and this bandwidth that you've been talking about.  However, from the measures you've taken so far, it would seem that every little "extra" item affects it.

There are a couple of things, that while they may enhance the site, really seem unnecessary.  I'm referring to those icons next to each post.  The one group, where there's occasionally a little blue question mark - for an instant that makes me think it's a "new" mark.  Other than noticing those, I never pay any attention to them.  I don't know if anyone else cares about them.  Perhaps you could ask.

The other group, where there are indications of how many posts are there, sure - they look nice - but since the number of responses is listed, it really isn't necessary.

Again, perhaps ask to see how others feel about it, but I can't see any real need for either one, and I would guess that eliminating them would help your bandwidth problems. :)
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 08:56:49 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Josette. I honestly appreciate you giving some thought to what we might be able to do to help the forum save bandwidth. [thumb] But the truth is that those particular icons consume VERY little bandwidth because their file sizes are infinitesimally small. YaBB designed them so that 95% of them are only 90 to about 500 bytes - and the other 5% are still well under 1KB (1024 bytes). :)

To put things in better perspective, the letters in the words of each of our posts and the spaces between them consume more bandwidth than that! [wink2]