Author Topic: Sticky suggestion -  (Read 1450 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Sticky suggestion -
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:04:50 AM »
Just wanted to suggest that the favorite dialogue topic be given sticky status in Current Talk. It's a fun thread and one that would probably recieve a lot of action if it was sticky -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky suggestion -
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:40:41 PM »
Interesting suggestion and maybe we'll do that.  :)  Though right now it's at the top of CT '06 II and continuing to get attention. If it begins to slide down, we'll see...  ;)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:27:57 PM »
Sure is a bummer having that thread buried back in '06  :-

I think it could have a lot of potential if it was kinda stinky. I mean sticky   :)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 08:49:30 PM »

I think it could have a lot of potential if it was kinda stinky. I mean sticky   :)

retzev, you realize that simply making the topic sticky wouldn't make a difference, right, since it's currently at the top of that board?  It seems unlikely that it will drop off the first page of that listing anytime soon.

The newest CT board is reserved for "the latest ... topics."  Since there are numerous fabulous older topics, MB has made the archived boards accessible via the Home page.

Probably the best way to draw renewed attention to that topic is for you (or other posters) to post dialogue to it as you come across it on the series.  :)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 08:50:25 AM »

retzev, you realize that simply making the topic sticky wouldn't make a difference, right, since it's currently at the top of that board?

With all due respect, I have to disagree.

I think it's at the top of that board because I searched for it and posted to it a a few days ago. And I believe if it were sticky it would make quite a difference. Not everyone clicks on "show unread posts since last visit." A lot of people visit the sub-forums that they're interested in, and move on. Why would that type of surfer visit the '06 Current Talk archive? I don't see it happening. I usually go the "unread posts" route myself, but there was a long time when I would hit Current talk and Announcements, and that's it.

If ever there was a thread to make sticky, I think Favorite Dialogue is the one. And, I just don't see what the harm or hassle it would be to make it sticky.

But, that's just my opinion. And ultimately, what's the difference? None really, I'm just glad the forum exists  :)

But I do enjoy a good debate  ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 04:03:24 PM »
Well, one doesn't simply have to to use the unread/new replies links/buttons to catch posts on the archived boards because there are other ways the system alerts people to new posts made on them. The name of the board will be highlighted in its Child Boards listing - and most notably, the New Posts icon will light up in front of the parent board and the board itself.  :)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
Okey-dokey