Author Topic: Night of the Iguana - tonight - 6/4  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Night of the Iguana - tonight - 6/4
« on: June 04, 2004, 08:03:04 PM »
Turner Classic Movies has Night of the Iguana on tonight at 10 p.m. Eastern.

I've never had a chance to see it, so hopefully it will work out this time.
Josette

ClaudeNorth

Re: Night of the Iguana - tonight - 6/4
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 09:15:43 PM »
If you're not going to be home, then definitely set your VCR to record it.  It's the sort of film that improves with multiple viewings.  Naturally, Grayson is excellent as Miss Judith Fellowes, but the rest of the cast is first-rate too, especially Ava Gardner, who brings an earth mother quality to the role of Maxine.

Regards,

John

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 10:45:26 PM »
Yes, I agree. It gets better and better with each viewing. I first saw it as a kid as a Movie of the Week. My father wanted to watch it (cause of Ava - he loved beautiful women). I remember him boasting about it as he recollected that at the time of it's release, it was such a major event that the theaters charged viewers more money to see it.

I'm not sure that if it was at this first viewing that I realized that it was 'Julia Hoffman' that was in it, but I think so. Don't think I would have watched it through if not. Too adult in theme for a kid like me to be interested otherwise (at that time). Of course, after that viewing, I immitated Grayson's scene on the beach, (hysterical that the Sue Lyon character was 'out to sea' with the Burton character), for years. Funny, there is a scene in DS that always reminds me of this scene in the movie whenever I see it. It takes place in the present, I think it is the pre-1840 period with Sebastian Shaw, where Julia keeps seeing the signs of the impending destruction of Collinwood. Carolyn is supposed to sing a song, as one of the signs, and Julia walks into the drawing room as Carolyn is singing, and screams, "No, Carolyn, no!" I know the quote is wrong but that's how I always 'perform it' when I catch my hubby or the cats doing something "wrong". LOL. (Yes, all four of them (three cats and one hubby) think I'm nuts - heh heh. The kitties run. The hubby rolls his eyes...) It's the way Grayson 'screams' that reminds me of it. It's always fun and interesting watching DS alumni in earlier roles and catching glimpses of the actor's DS characters in said actor's previous roles in film and television.

It is now in the top five of my 'favorite films of all-time' list. Wasn't this supposed to be released earlier this year, like February? I remember there being some kind of voting thang we were all talking about and as DS fans we tried to vote to have it make a top 100 list or be considered for DVD release this year or something like that. It was on my birthday wish list. I figured the hubs would pre-order it. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't available in January for pre-order. Well, hopefully, one day it will be.

Ever since I saw it, I always yearned to visit that place. I didn't know it existed for real (if you know what I mean). Then one day I mentioned it to the hubs and I found out that it was a real place and that it was down the road from where we would be vacationing that year. I nearly fainted. Have been visiting it every year since (save one very cash-poor year). I never tire of it. and yes, I'll admit it, I mentally act out scenes from the film everytime I'm there, lol, especially when I'm on the beach, ;) .

I hope you get to see it, Josette. I'm eager to hear what you think of it. If I got TCM I'd definitely catch it for the umpteenth time.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:22:46 AM »
I'm taping it now - hope to get started on it later tonight!
Josette

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 09:18:02 PM »
Well i'm waaay behind in the posts. . .but I do like this film as it does get better with each viewing. . All the performances are quite nuanced (except Sue and Father) and you see something more each time.  I'm sure at first viewing, everyone thinks Grayson's Judith is just horrid but watching it over again you start to see how tortured she is herself, innocent of what her problem is and while she is the nemesis that gets the action going. .sheis not the enemy.  I love how she turns on a dime into an almost hapless victim of Maxine's desire to protect Shannon. . .Judith turns her head and asks, "what is she talking about?"  as Maxine spits vile about the Dykes of Texas--Grayson's big eyes helped portray the inner innocence of the woman--and Ava,. . she was THE BOMB!  That gal could A.C.T.

Julia99

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 01:47:46 AM »
Damn....wish I'd known this was on.  Been wanting to tape it for awhile.

"SE-DU-CERRRRR!!!!!"

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

8)

(This has been brought to you by "Dumb Post Of The Night")

:P
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 03:35:04 AM »
"SE-DU-CERRRRR!!!!!"

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Loved that moment. Along with "Don't make me take steps Dr. Shannon."

Great Avatar, BTW. Julia and the Q-man, together again.  :D

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 05:49:57 AM »
Loved that moment. Along with "Don't make me take steps Dr. Shannon."

YES!!  "Don't make me take STEPS, Dr. Shannon."
It's sooooo great.  It's so.....JULIA!

Great Avatar, BTW. Julia and the Q-man, together again.  :D

Well ya know, IMHO Julia and the Q-Man should always be together.  It's all I need anyway.

;)  ;)  ;D  ;)  ;)

PS  I miss those wavey smileys   :'(
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 09:37:51 PM »
PS  I miss those wavey smileys   :'(

All the missing smileys should be back before too long.  :)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 02:55:37 AM »
I love that film, too. I saw that for the first time a few years ago, before I started watching DS or knew of Grayson or anything...Judith's one of best parts of the story, IMO.  And yeah, it does get better with each viewing. I just adore her facial expressions and snappy remarks...  ;)   :)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 02:23:20 PM »
And it is galling when you go to a movie summary book (Leonard, Roger, any of 'em) that everyone is mentioned in the summary but the actress who initiates the action and was nominated for the Oscar. . .
Julia99

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 11:45:25 PM »
And it is galling when you go to a movie summary book (Leonard, Roger, any of 'em) that everyone is mentioned in the summary but the actress who initiates the action and was nominated for the Oscar. . .

Yeah!  What the f is that??  Plus, she's the only one worth watching in the film anyway.  Burton?  Eh!

Speaking of David Selby  :-*  lol,  ;D , he played Rev. Shannon in Night of the Iguana at the LA Theatre Center in '91.  There's a photo of him in In and Out of the Shadows from the play.  He's all tied up in a hammock and looking rather annoyed.   ;D  ;)  ;D

8)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2004, 12:07:26 AM »
OH MY CAN I JOIN DAVID SELBY IN THE HAMMOCK???
 YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
               Love Anne :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D :P :P

Edited by Midnite
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 12:24:43 AM »
OH MY CAN I JOIN DAVID SELBY IN THE HAMMOCK???

Don't ask me.....ask him.
(What do you suppose you'd do with him all tied up like that anyway??)  (Just curious)   ;D

PS  Yer incorrigible

;)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 03:43:27 AM »

Yeah...they hardly acknowledged her on TCM either (during the little intro and outro to the film). :(

Well, they DID mention her name at the very end... saying that Burton wasn't nominated for an Academy award, but the tough cookie played by Grayson Hall was (lol).   ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*