Author Topic: So ... how many tried to jump off Widows Hill?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
So ... how many tried to jump off Widows Hill?
« on: December 11, 2005, 05:56:32 PM »
I see Vickie was a "jumper Widow Hiller", Josette, the girl from 1897 (forgot her name, she was running from Quentin/Petrofi). Anyone else? What was it about Widows Hill that made people want to jump off it?

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: So ... how many tried to jump off Widows Hill?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 06:36:26 PM »
That was Beth. ;)

Since this thread is already semi-chock full of spoilers, I'll say that Adam once jumped off, but he lived. ;)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 06:55:43 PM »
elizabeth was also contemplating taking a nosedive several times during the jason mcquire blackmail plot.

someone always showed up and prevented it from actually happening.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 07:12:06 PM »
To continue with the possible "spoilers," Beth Chavez was the name of the 1897 ethereal, blonde beauty who apparently, quite accidentally, fell off of Widow's Hill.

As far as others, who took that unfortunate slip (either intentionally or unintentionally) off of American soap opera's most famous promontory, I recall Phillip Todd inadvertently going over the edge after attacking the loathsome Jeb Hawkes, who, ironically enough, later went over the edge himself after Sky Rumson wrestled with him on the precipice, near the conclusion of the Leviathoan storyline.  (Many Dark Shadows fans believe that Jeb's "trip" off of Widow's Hill was condign punishment, considering the fact that he had personally "offed" about half-a-dozen totally innocent people in Collinsport.)

Of course, Adam also jumped from the top, and was the only DS character to actually survive the impact.  (Thank God that Dr. Lang had provided Adam with a head, apparently as "thick" as Sylvester Stallone's in all of those Rocky films!)  

As to why Widow's Hill held such a macabe attraction to people, that is troubling.  I do remember once seeing a bridge between, if I remember correctly, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.  There was a sign placed next to the bridge, urging anyone who was despondent, not to act rashly, but to contact the  local public health facility for help and counseling.  It is an absolutely terrible thing, when a person becomes so depressed that he or she would consider taking their own life.  

That scene in which Mrs. Stoddard is just about at the point where she is going to jump from the top of Widow's Hill is both a profoundly moving and disturbing one.  I don't think that I was ever more relieved, then when Barnabas grabbed her from behind.  (I guess after that, I always had a feeling of "uneasiness" whenever a DS episode focused on that truly eerie spot.)            

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 09:43:14 PM »

Barnabas forced Istvan the mute gyspy to take a casual stroll off of Widow's Hill.  Plus, I believe the Widows themselves were victims of the aptly named cliff.

So far we have Josette, Beth, Vicki, Adam, Phillip, Jeb, Istvan, the Widows, and an attempt by Liz.  David slipped and almost fell off once during the first Laura storyline.  I'm sure there must certainly be more.   Bill Malloy was a rebel - he fell from Lookout Point instead of Widow's Hill.

Also, when Adam fell off Widow's Hill, shouldn't that have caused some major damage to Barnabas since they could feel each others' pain at the time?
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 02:42:54 AM »
elizabeth was also contemplating taking a nosedive several times during the jason mcquire blackmail plot.

someone always showed up and prevented it from actually happening.

Ahhh, a secret jumper. The cops must have had their eyes on her  [santa_angry]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:24:17 PM »
[spoiler]Joanna's ghost forced Samantha off Widows' Hill in 1840.  I'm not sure if Samantha originally pushed Joanna from this cliff or another one.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »
I recall Phillip Todd inadvertently going over the edge after attacking the loathsome Jeb Hawkes, who, ironically enough, later went over the edge himself after Sky Rumson wrestled with him on the precipice, near the conclusion of the Leviathoan storyline.

Jeb makes the list twice because Peter also pushed him off in 1795.

This is stretching it, but very early in the series Roger charmingly told Vicki he would throw himself off Widow's Hill if she didn't forgive him for nearly barging into her room the night before.  Fortunately for us, she did.   [santa_wink]

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 02:30:41 PM »
[spoiler]Joanna's ghost forced Samantha off Widows' Hill in 1840.  I'm not sure if Samantha originally pushed Joanna from this cliff or another one.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I happen to have a small clip of when Joanna pushed Samantha. ;)

Samantha: Gerard, where are you?
Joanna: He won't be coming to meet you, Mrs. Collins. You did not fail that night on the hill, just as I shall not fail tonight on THIS hill.
Samantha: No! Nooo! AHHHHH!

I think by the way she stressed "this," she meant that she was pushed off of a different cliff. ;)[/spoiler]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 05:52:26 AM »
Thought you guys would get a kick out of a cartoon I saw on this subject, was the back cover of an issue of the fanzine World of Dark Shadows.  Shows the cliff, and a crowd of women at the bottom, next to a McDonalds Number served sign. <ducks and runs>

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »
There were quite alot that "jumped" off of widows Hill in the Marilyn Ross novels also.. -Robert

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 12:29:59 AM »
coteriemc, welcome back!  :D