Author Topic: Julia's and Barnabas' trip into 1995 Minor Spoiler Alert  (Read 1837 times)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Julia's and Barnabas' trip into 1995 Minor Spoiler Alert
« on: June 09, 2005, 08:55:33 PM »
When Julia is under Gerard's control and Barnabas has to use his hypnotic power on Julia. How did that work when Julia had her back to Barnabas and Julia has never been bitten by Barnabas?

I always thought that for Barnabas to control someone like that he had to bite them first? That they would already have to be under his power like Carolyn and Willie were for him to get them to respond to him like that.

I know that Barnabas could hypnotize people, but for some reason I have always been under the impression that he had to make eye contact with them first. Well Julia had her back to him when Barnabas ordered her to look at him.

Since Julia knows what Barnabas is. For some strange reason. I've always kind of thought that somehow that she'd be better at resisting him. The element of surprise wasn't there since Julia knows that Barnabas is a vampire.

That particular scene kind of made me wonder if perhaps Julia  was more under Barnabas's power than they revealed on the show.

Just a thought I had.

FireRose

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Julia's and Barnabas' trip into 1995 Minor Spoiler Alert
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 05:51:28 AM »
I don't remember the details of that scene, but I don't think I ever considered it hypnotism.  It seemed that it was just his "powers" in general, or partially the force of his personality, that he was able to command her and eventually get her to respond.
Josette

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 06:34:28 AM »
As Josete said, I think it was one of his powers, probably related to the hypnotism ability, but not involving direct eye contact.  The vampire's will is overpowering.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 07:16:28 AM »
I don't remember the details of that scene, but I don't think I ever considered it hypnotism.  It seemed that it was just his "powers" in general, or partially the force of his personality, that he was able to command her and eventually get her to respond.
As Josete said, I think it was one of his powers, probably related to the hypnotism ability, but not involving direct eye contact. The vampire's will is overpowering.

That is probably what it was, but you know something. I kind of got the impression that Gerard was more powerful than Barnabas was in the 1995 scenes. I always thought it was because Gerard was evil and Barnabas wasn't during those scenes.

Which brings up Gerard's control over Julia. Gerard actually got Julia to betray Barnabas by getting her to reveal he was a vampire to the authorities.

Which is why I wondered if when Barnabas was able to get Julia to respond to him. It was because Barnabas had a deeper connection with her that allowed him to overcome Gerard's control over her. I know they were friends, but that didn't stop her from betraying Barnabas. So I was wondering if  that scene was revealing a deeper connection between Barnabas and Julia that had not been revealed before.

Of course they could have been throwing the Barnabas/Julia fans a bone after having to listen to Barnabas go on and on about his feelings for Roxanne in front of Julia.

FireRose

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 10:28:55 PM »
If only it had meant they had a deeper connection . .i doubt the writers gave that any thought .

Writer #1  "How do we get her back in league with Barnabas?".
Writer #2  "hey he's a vampire . .he'll use his powers to"

Dan Curtis  "Sounds good--write it up!"

Problem solved. . . a few days later at rehearsal. . .

Grayson "But Barnabas never bit Julia---this doesn't make any f**king sense!"

Jonathan "Just go with it and be done . . is it dinner at your house again tonight?"
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 11:40:09 PM »
Actually, vampires are often depicted exerting their will over people they haven't bitten. How many times have we seen a scene in which the person guarding the vampire victim falls asleep on the job because the vampire, who's somewhere outside and staring at the room, willed them to do so? And in those depictions it is quite often the case that the vampire had little or no connection at all to the person they're influencing, so I don't think relationships play much of a part in it. (Mel Brooks even poked hilarious fun at such scenes in his spoof Dracula: Dead and Loving It.)

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 01:31:01 AM »
Actually, vampires are often depicted exerting their will over people they haven't bitten. How many times have we seen a scene in which the person guarding the vampire victim falls asleep on the job because the vampire, who's somewhere outside and staring at the room, willed them to do so? And in those depictions it is quite often the case that the vampire had little or no connection at all to the person they're influencing, so I don't think relationships play much of a part in it. (Mel Brooks even poked hilarious fun at such scenes in his spoof Dracula: Dead and Loving It.)

Right, MB. And your comment reminds me that vampire Roxanne was able to make Julia fall asleep as she guarded Maggie, and Julia didn't even know who Roxanne was at the time, and had certainly not made eye contact. But it made a convenient device to put Maggie in more danger.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 04:18:52 AM »
Actually, vampires are often depicted exerting their will over people they haven't bitten.

Very true. And good example, Bette... ;)  :-* Another example (or at least what's stuck in my brain for some reason):
[spoiler]A couple of times Barnabas used his hypnotic influence on little Nora (in 1897). One time, Nora caught the old bat biting Charity at Worthington Hall. Nora was frightened out of her wits but Barnabas eventually hypnotized her, convincing her that he would not harm her and made her forget that he was there in the first place.[/spoiler]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 05:19:42 AM »
(Mel Brooks even poked hilarious fun at such scenes in his spoof Dracula: Dead and Loving It.)

God, that's one of the funniest scenes in the movie. Loved the actor who played Renfield, he had that crazy laugh of Dwight Frye's down pat. My sister and I quote the breakfast scene a lot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:24 PM »
Barnabas is able to hypnotize Nora Collins when she walks in on him biting Charity Trask.
Fade Away and Radiate