Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 174314 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2004, 08:55:37 PM »
Just a quick note to say that Rob Bowman has been confirmed as the pilot's director.  As some fans will know, Rob has worked on "Dark Shadows" before, directing two episodes of the 1991 series...

When not working on DS, he's also slummed it on some little series called The X-Files, apparently... ;)

Seriously, he's a good choice, and it's kinda reassuring having some "in the loop", so to speak, to set the ball rolling :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2004, 09:17:30 PM »
That's great news.  Thanks, Stuart!

I might add that Variety's announcement contradicts the info on the Barnabas Undead site that was provided by their "reliable source", though the site does acknowledge that it was unconfirmed. ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2004, 09:23:23 PM »
I also wonder whether the script Barn Undead was given is for real.  The summary reads like a MAD Magazine or Carol Burnett Show skit on the program.  At least it could be entertaining, which is saying a lot, these days.

I wonder whether the WB are hoping for product placement revenue from Keno and IHOP?

Ryan Seacrest's show is being taken off the air, so he is now available to play Barnabas.  A little long in tooth by the WB's standards, but what the hey.

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2004, 12:04:56 AM »
I also think it is great to have Rob Bowman direct the pilot. Ironically, I have been seeing his name every day for the past decade as I have his director's chair from the 1991 Dark Shadows which I obtained at an auction at one of the fests.

I find it hard to believe that casting has not been completed (as per Barnabasundead) with filming to start any day. I am not sure why they are even keeping the actors' identities who have already been selected a big secret. Just wondering.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2004, 01:11:58 AM »
I find it hard to believe that casting has not been completed (as per Barnabasundead) with filming to start any day. I am not sure why they are even keeping the actors' identities who have already been selected a big secret. Just wondering.

Well, the '91 DS pilot didn't begin shooting until March 19, 1990, and the first casting news (published in USA Today) didn't start filtering out until just four days before that on the 15th. And if we can believe the info on the My Entertainment World Web site, the WB DS pilot isn't slated to begin production until sometime this March.

It was actually May 1990 before ShadowGram reported the complete '91 cast and publicity photos of some cast members began to surface. Of course, that was before the Internet was as popular as it is today. So, somehow I'm sure we'll be hearing something long before May, and I doubt anyone is actually trying to keep any casting news a "big secret."  ;)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2004, 04:19:46 AM »
Thanks for the info on the filming of the 1991 pilot. That was helpful in putting things in perspective for me and giving me a frame of reference for the soon to be filmed pilot.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2004, 08:03:18 AM »

Agree with you MB.  I think it's too early for a cast if the director just was announced.  Usually, the director has input in the casting decision.

Also, want to chime in that sometimes actors are replaced between pilot and fall show.  BIG example of this is the character of Willow on Buffy.  The unaired pilot had a different actress.  Network said no and Alyson Hannigan ended up in the role.

Thus, even if the cast gets announced it can change between pilot and fall. (If we even get that far.)

I must say mighty impressive credentials for this director.  Long list of Sci-Fi/Horror going back to Alien Nation, Werewolf, Star Trek NTG.  Oh and he is 43.  Wonder if he was a run home from school kid of the original show?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2004, 12:13:56 PM »
Ryan Seacrest's show is being taken off the air, so he is now available to play Barnabas.  A little long in tooth by the WB's standards, but what the hey.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that Ryan Seacrest's show is being taken off the air. I usually watch it and find Ryan very entertaining.  Somehow I can't picture him playing Barnabas. However, he'd be great at playing Elizabeth's younger, but childless, brother IMO.  :-*
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2004, 06:11:10 PM »
The futon critic's website ( a major media source of entertainment news)  is conducting a poll and asks "Which of the WB's drama pilots would you most like to see get a series order?
Dark Shadows
Global Frequency
Jack and Bobby
Mountain
Prodigy
Robinsons:Lost In Space
Rocky Point

When I placed my vote it revealed D.S. was in the lead at 54% to Lost In Space's 35%. This could be a surprisingly close vote due to each show's large fan base. Hopefully everyone here places a vote and passes the info along.
Vote at www.thefutoncritic.com

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2004, 09:20:27 PM »
I didn't know WB was also doing a Lost In Space remake.  I was just as much a LIS fanatic as a kid as I was a DS one.  If I couldn't live in Collinwood, I wanted to be a Robinson.  But it stated that this version will not have Dr. Smith, although there will be a robot.  Danger, Will Robinson!  But that would be more like the original pilot for the '65 series (the unaired pilot first shown on the Sci-Fi network), which did not have a Dr. Smith (or even a robot).  And Dr. Smith, when added during new scenes shot for inclusion in the pilot aired on CBS, was originally intended to survive for just a few episodes, his devious presence causing tension, thus fleshing out the other characters, and then be killed off.  But he was so popular, he stayed around for the entire series.  Ironically, kinda mirroring what was originally suppose to happen to that Barnabas guy on Dark Shadows and how that all turned out.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2004, 09:27:11 PM »
What's this--Lost in Space without the infamous Dr. Zachary Smith??? Heresy!

Oh the pain--the pain!

Methinks somebody at the "WB" has been talking too much to a certain "bubble headed booby"!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2004, 10:16:03 PM »
I didn't know WB was also doing a Lost In Space remake.

Someone hasn't been reading the forum thoroughly. For shame!  :o

We may have to drag you to the mausoleum's secret room and seal you in a coffin as punishment for that!  ;)

I agree that it is interesting but I also know that the WB has commissioned a pilot for a new version of Lost in Space for next fall so apparently they are dabbling in classic tv concepts to see what they can resurrect, but ultimately may chose to do on none of them.

...the fact that the wb has not orderd the plot to be made yet,i don,t think is a good sign.they already orderd the lost in space remake and there in the stage of casting it.

... " I think we have a very healthy balance between some passion projects that carve out new territory as well as strong franchise projects, Levin said."
Hopefully, in the latter he was referring to Dark Shadows and Lost In Space.?

But seriously, the only other dramatic pilot I've read about at the WB is an update of "Lost in Space." ...

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2004, 11:25:22 PM »
sorry i missed most of this (have been ill for a few weeks  hopefully on the mend)i would like to see a next generation  of the Collins  family. to me to do the same old remake is boring{hated 1991}Barnabas  could return
but poor Julia should be gone as i can't bear to see anyone but Grayson in this role!Baseball season is upon us so much of my energy  goes  there
so this pilot would have to be very special to get my attention!

jennifer
 ps Patti LOVE CORD too maybe he could be on the New DS!the boy still looks good!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2004, 12:19:24 AM »
I do deserve to be beaten by garlic cloves, MB!  How did I miss that?  But now that I think about, I do sorta recall hearing something about the LIS remake.

But like Gothick says, I can't imagine it without Dr. Smith.  I actually think it would be a far more interesting series if they keep the Colonel (that was his rank) as an evil character, rather than the loveable buffoon he became in the original (which was by Jonathan Harris' own design).  He was far more interesting in the first coupla months episodes where he ramained a cunning danger to the family, doing everything from trying to murder them to betraying them to vicious aliens in order to save his own neck.  Anyway, I guess that's enough of that, since this is a DS and not LIS board, but it was fun to reminisce about another one of my old favorite shows for just a few minutes.  By the way, as a last and final end, the part of Dr. Zachary Smith was originally to go to Carroll O'Connor, but he had to back out because of scheduling conflicts with his involvement in filming the movie version of Michener's Hawaii.  It woulda been interesting to see Dr. Smith calling the robot a "Meathead", though.

Gerard (Who's Trying To Picture Jean Stapleton Playing Elizabeth Collins Stoddard - "Roger!  Burke!  Please don't fight today!  It's Henry Mancini's birthday!"  "And then, in the middle of the seance, this big can of mm-MM-mm - in heavy syrup - came flying across the room and hit Vicki in the head!")

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2004, 01:30:16 AM »
I do deserve to be beaten by garlic cloves, MB!

Well, I suppose we can overlook it this time. But keep confinement to a small box filled with an endless darkness in mind the next time you (or anyone else) start to fall behind in your post reading.  ;D

FYI: Some casting news for the LIS pilot was posted on Sci-Fi's Web site today. Check the news item out here.

Gerard (Who's Trying To Picture Jean Stapleton Playing Elizabeth Collins Stoddard - "Roger!  Burke!  Please don't fight today!  It's Henry Mancini's birthday!"  "And then, in the middle of the seance, this big can of mm-MM-mm - in heavy syrup - came flying across the room and hit Vicki in the head!")

ROFL!!