Author Topic: Review Of Dark Shadows: The Beginning, Vol. 5  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Review Of Dark Shadows: The Beginning, Vol. 5
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
I for one am glad that Diana Millay was chosen to play Laura.  I think she adds 'creepy' in just the right amount for the character.  I just can't imagine Lara playing Laura just as I can't imagine any one else playing Angelique but Lara. Speaking of Lara, I just saw her recently in Race With The Devil.  I spoke with Diana Millay at a fest one year and although I knew that she knew that I was there, I still got the feeling that she was adrift somewhere in left field.  [ghost_huh]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »
I for one am glad that Diana Millay was chosen to play Laura.  I think she adds 'creepy' in just the right amount for the character.  I just can't imagine Lara playing Laura just as I can't imagine any one else playing Angelique but Lara.

I feel the same way. And both women played their respective roles to perfection. Some of the best moments in DS are their confrontations in the 1897 stroyline.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
i agree diana played laura to perfect pitch.

i wouldn't have wanted anyone else playing her.diana is laura and lara is angelique.period.two irreplaceable virtuosos.

in fact,although the pheonix's hundred year life cycle made this impossible,i would have liked to have seen much more of laura and/or diana throughout the series.

meeting diana in person is an odd experience.she definitely stays "in character" during the exchange.i've had several very strange conversations with her over the years but i think she's nice in general.during our last meeting she remembered me which i thought was nice.

does anyone know why she did not attend this year's event?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »
Just an educated guess here,but it might be because she lives here in Westchester. Counting on my fingers I believe that Mr.Frid was the only guest this year who does NOT live in California.  I DO think I remember her being at the Hollywood Fest I attended in 05, however. 

Possibly it was felt that there were enough local guests without importing anyone other than the one major guest. (Again, just an educated guess from having been involved with guest heavy conventions in other fandoms.  I'm not involved with the Fest in any fashion to know the reasons for certain  -- though when I used my pansity email address, I was constantly getting emails and or IMs from people thinking I was pansyfaye who works for the Festival.  LOL that's why I use the quentinscockney address -- which has its own little double entendre problems.   [a2a3]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 03:20:39 AM »
I've just gotten the first disc from Netflix

Oh that's where my netflix is...i had that on  my next up and now it says "SHORT WAIT"....hurry up and watch it Buzz and get it back in the mailbox willya? [ghost_tongue]
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »
Oh that's where my netflix is...i had that on  my next up and now it says "SHORT WAIT"....hurry up and watch it Buzz and get it back in the mailbox willya? [ghost_tongue]

It shoud be in your hands soon. I mailed it back the other day Devlin! And I also had the "short wait" for Disc 2, so who was the wise-guy that was making ME wait??  [ghost_sad]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 12:15:47 AM »
Netflix is great for TV DVDs, as long as they're not new releases. They never get enough of those in to satisfy the initial wave.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
I know this is off topic but I've been meaning to say to GooberCollins that 'I love the Barnabas Avatar'..I think that's what they call the picture in your posts.   
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 08:31:35 PM »
Thanks! I decided that, though it fit very well with my username, the vampiric Mr. Peanut that I was using was getting old, and that it would be good to change it, so I used a still from the (more than slightly silly) video I put on YouTube on Sunday, which my signature currently links to.

Anyway, I'm almost finished with Collection 5. I've watched all but the last 6 episodes of it. October 27 or whenever it is that the final collection is released is so very, very far away...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »
I admit I am 10 eps away from [spoiler]Jostte's ghost appearance[/spoiler] and I am counting the eps. I LOVED Vol. 1 and 2 got off to a good start but I find myself getting bored. I cannot wait to see the infamous ep # 70 that started all the "spooky stuff". [ghost_tongue2] And I CANNOT WAIT to see THE PHOENIX STORYLINE.  Hard to believe I have been a fan for 17 years and have never seen these eps.  I couldn't bring myself to buy the videos back in the day, cause I knew one day they would be obsolete and I would have wasted all that money on them. [ghost_shocked]  I am now collecting DVDS, which should be with me for as long as I am alive. I also didn't get Sci Fi either so........

Just a reminder...Deepdiscountdvd.com has Volumes 1&2 of DS The Beginning on sale for 29 bucks and now they have Volume 1. with the introduction of Barney on sale for 29 bucks also.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 09:36:50 PM »
I'm quite enjoying the Laura storyline. Diana Millay is quite creepy, and I find her appearance in 1967 far less irritating than the one in 1897. Though I know how it works out in the end, I am very annoyed that I must wait until October to finally see the resolution, as well as seeing the first episodes of the Jason storyline, with the first Willie.