Author Topic: Where is Everyone?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Everyone?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 02:35:33 AM »
Well, then, MB, explain to me why you told me I have to keep sending you ten bucks a month if I want to stay a member of this illustrious board?  Huh?

You thought that was to remain a member of the forum? No, no, no. That's blackmail money to keep quiet about what I caught you doing at Seaview that time back in the '90s (or was it the '80s - I'll have to check my stash of incriminating photos).  [b003]  But I'm a cheap blackmailer since it's only cost you $720 so far.  [lghy]  (And BTW, where's this month's payment? >:()

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 03:55:30 AM »
Well, then, MB, explain to me why you told me I have to keep sending you ten bucks a month if I want to stay a member of this illustrious board?  Huh?

You thought that was to remain a member of the forum? No, no, no. That's blackmail money to keep quiet about what I caught you doing at Seaview that time back in the '90s (or was it the '80s - I'll have to check my stash of incriminating photos).  [b003]  But I'm a cheap blackmailer since it's only cost you $720 so far.  [lghy]  (And BTW, where's this month's payment? >:()

I'll be sending it to you, now that the jig is up.  I'm running behind on my blackmail payments.  I had to dish a little bit more for that one blackmailer on a Lost In Space message board who caught me oiling the sprockets on the robot.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 04:37:11 AM »
MB-- Stastistics don't enter into it... it still doesn't explain where all those posts are, when each day only a dozen or so show up under "Show unread posts since last visit".   Do a lot of new posts not show up under that? 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 05:57:49 AM »
Well, that all depends - and I warn that what I'm about to explain can get complicated.

The "Show unread posts since last visit" feature does exactly that - it shows the posts made between the time someone leaves/logs out of the forum and the time they return/login. And by that I specifically mean the time they switch their browser to another Web site (without having the forum still opened in another tab/window of their browser) or they close their browser entirely and the time they surf back to the forum or they open their browser again and return to the forum. However, if after reading posts someone's browser remains open and logged into the forum and additional posts are made that they don't read before they leave/logout, those posts will not show up the next time they return/login and use "Show unread posts since last visit" because those posts were made before their last visit ended.

A way to try to see if someone does indeed have any unread posts is to use the "All Unread Topics" feature of the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature, the link for which is in the bottom right hand corner of each page of the feature, right above the "Mark As Read" button. However (and you just knew there were going to be caveats  [wink2]), all unread posts that might have been missed because someone was on the forum but just didn't read them before leaving will only show that way 1) if someone hasn't clicked on any of the "Mark As Read" buttons - and especially the one on the BoardIndex, and 2) someone hasn't already opened a topic to read a post made at a time later than one they might have missed while still being on the forum but not reading it. (I swear I couldn't explain that any simpler. And an example of the latter would be this situation: someone comes to forum, reads a post in a topic made at 11am, stays on the forum while two additional posts, one at 11:30 and one at 11:45, are made to that same topic, doesn't read those latter two, leaves the forum at 12, returns at 1, uses the "Show unread posts since last visit" and reads a post made to that same topic at 12:45 without ever noticing the 11:30 and 11:45 posts. In that situation "All Unread Topics" will not bring up the topic with the two unread/unnoticed posts because the system will consider that since the latest post made at 12:45 has been read, all the posts in that topic have been read unless or until an entirely new post is made to that topic.)

Try clicking on the "All Unread Topics" to see what comes up.

And I realize that all of this may make it sound like it's impossible to catch every post, but that's not actually true. The least complicated way to be sure one catches every post is to visit each board that indicates it has new posts (which is actually what I do). But if someone doesn't want to do that for whatever reason(s) and they prefer to use the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature, yet still hang around the forum afterward while other posts may be being made rather than leaving/logging off immediately, the best thing to do before leaving/logging off is to check the "View the most recent posts on the forum" feature (also located in the "Forum Stats" section of "Dark Shadows Forums - Info Center" on the BoardIndex page) because all of the posts made up to the point someone clicks that link will come up (in reverse chronological order) and they shouldn't ever miss anything. It will also be necessary to click the "Mark As Read" button. However, before doing so be sure to check the "View the most recent posts on the forum" once again to be sure no posts have been made while you were reading those most recent posts.

David

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 07:20:30 AM »
So, are you happier today, David?  [snow_smiley]  61 posts so far and counting. Plus the return to posting of two members we haven't heard from in a while: Angelique Wins (welcome back  [snow_happy])  and ILuvBarnabas  (welcome back  [snow_happy]). (Three if we fudge a bit and also include CyrusL (welcome back  [snow_happy]), who made a few posts on Monday (forum time). And four if we include Darren (welcome back  [snow_happy]), who posted yesterday.)  [snow_wink]

And, of course, thank you to everyone who supports the forum. It wouldn't be half as much fun around here without you!  [snow_cheesy]

I'm still holding out for more money.
Then again, we can always take it out in trade.......

David

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 07:23:35 AM »
Um, don't hold your breath.  [snow_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 07:54:56 AM »
MB--- Since you went to a great deal of trouble with that explanation, I've saved it and will try to go over it bit by bit in the future.   Thanks very much.    My eyes and brain were practically screaming though... because of the eye and concentration impairment.    If the info. is in there, I should get it out eventually.

Whenever I'm done with posts on the unread posts since last visit screen, I go back and click on it again, and a few more may turn up.    It seems that I can find out about new posts that way.    It just never adds up to anything like 70.    I try to go upward on threads to make sure there aren't posts before the one I'm sent to after clicking for the first new post on that thread.

Am I doing something to cause the problem by never logging out?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

David

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »
Um, don't hold your breath.  [snow_grin]

But I wanted to be Willie to your Barnabas........

David

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »
Sadly, we can't always get what we want. If I could, the world would be a very different place than it is...  [sad3]

And BTW, I hope you're happy today because I see that the posts total is currently at 69 and counting.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
Am I doing something to cause the problem by never logging out?

No. Always staying logged in (as in checking the box opposite "Always stay logged in:" or selecting "Forever" from the drop-down menu) will never cause a problem with catching every post. I'm always logged in myself.  :)  The only circumstances that could cause problems are the ones I've laid out above.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 12:23:39 AM »
I wonder if the Collins clan were Federalists? [stfl]

I thought they were Whigs.

The Collins don't talk politics, the just talk about survival.
Or should I say supernatural politics.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 01:58:38 AM »
 Hey did anyone get more money yet. I'm getting hosed down over here, I've never gotten a dime.

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 07:42:57 AM »
So, are you happier today, David?  [snow_smiley]  61 posts so far and counting. Plus the return to posting of two members we haven't heard from in a while: Angelique Wins (welcome back  [snow_happy])...

Hey, that's me!   [knockwood]  Thanks!  (I got the Blue Screen of Death today. so I needed the happy snowman.) 

Judy
[9366]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline mspeel007

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 06:52:12 AM »
I'm here!!!!! [cheerleader] [banana] [hello] [headbang] [knockwood]
And in the end...the love you take..is equal to the love you make.