Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0212  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0212
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 01:06:24 AM »
 ;D Thanks. I read the post and tested it out and there is a test message over there the content of which will not surprise Jackie since she knows me.

Alondra

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 12:43:31 AM »
Does anyone suppose that there was anyone watching in 1967 who did not immediately make the connection between the hand coming up out of the coffin to fasten around Willie's throat and this courtly cousin from England?

(Raises Hand) Me, me!  I was one if the ones who didn't make the connection!  [cheesyg] I guess I was just a naieve kid then. [6184] Although, as I watched it again today, I found it easy to be fooled again.  He was so smooth.  I love JF in those scenes.  A few words and expressions say a lot. [smlyg]

It was charming and cute to see David blow his lines.  But it just made it more true to life.  I often 'blow my lines" in real  life! [winkg]

Last  month, I completed watching the entire show; so I have been watching color episodes for quite a while now.  It is strange to watch DS in
black and white again.  I must admit, though, the show DOES seem more spooky in black and white.  [shkdg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 01:02:44 AM »
I wasn't watching yet at that time but if I had been, I'd have been only 7 I guess and think I wouldn't have made the connection either. But in watching this episode I was very impressed with Barnabas and his courtly manner. It would be impossible not to like him in this initial meeting, and they say first impressions are the most important.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 01:31:33 AM »
It is strange to watch DS in black and white again.  I must admit, though, the show DOES seem more spooky in black and white.  [shkdg]

The black and white was so good.

Lori
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 02:40:30 AM »
 :) I agree with you Emerald Rose. Some of the later episodes are on kinescope which was not only black and white but blurry as well, and in some cases that really leant to the eerieness of it. For instance in the 1897 storyline [spoiler]Julianka is killed and then they have a seance to contact her so she can give information about ending Quentin's curse. When she appears as a ghost it's just so eerie and cool![/spoiler] It just wouldn't have been the same in black and white.

Alondra

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 03:19:20 AM »
Well, what a confusing situation!  The quote in the post when I asked for it to be fixed said black and white, but the original post said color! How did THAT happen?

I'm so sorry for the mixup.  (Can one of the moderators please fix all of the posts so that they all say my original intention, that
black and white is spookier?)

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 03:47:00 AM »
Well, what a confusing situation!  The quote in the post when I asked for it to be fixed said black and white, but the original post said color! How did THAT happen?

The moderator (MB, dom and I have help ;)) was probably in the process of fixing all the posts.  They should be the same now.

I'm so sorry for the mixup.  (Can one of the moderators please fix all of the posts so that they all say my original intention, that black and white is spookier?)

No need to apologize.  :)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 06:33:04 AM »
Thank you, Midnite! [cheesyg]

----- Sally -----
[/color]
[coolg]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 07:27:37 AM »
"¢â‚¬¦but at sunrise, when the water - when the ocean - when the sun comes over the ocean, everything begins to change color--right in front of your very eyes." I love how the kid just keeps going - what a trouper!
Barnabas tells Josette to tell Joshua's ghost - if he's there - that he has come home and intends to live the life previously denied to him. Cobwebs and all.

David was really a trouper. Watching these over and over again. I can really see why JF really was a big hit.

Lori

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 08:30:15 AM »
Review:...

Sorry to quote so much with so little payoff or contribution from me, but I enjoyed this post.      I hope to go through more of this thread, and respond as eyes and/or brain permit.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »
Favorite line of dialogue: Don't be surprised if I know Collinwood quite well.
I hope to go through more of this thread, and respond as eyes and/or brain permit.

That's OK. But I wonder how much time Barn help at Collinwood when it was being built. It would seam like he would like to do things with his hands.

Plus he knows all the secret places.

Lori

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
This is the episode that introduced me to my favorite character, and what a great episode it was.

I know I was completely taken in by Barnabas and can understand why Elizabeth and Vicki were too. He really knew how to turn on that gentlemanly charm.

David seems puzzled as to why nobody likes Willie or wants him around, gee I wonder why too other than the fact he [spoiler]harassed Vicki, Carolyn and Maggie, insulted Sam, pissed Burke off to the point Burke beat the snot out of him.[/spoiler]

I love that ending scene with Barnabas....he's happy to be out of the coffin,to be able to start a new life, yet he knows he faces an uncertain future in a world that has drastically changed since the 18th century. Jonathan was really brilliant in that scene.

I have to admit I did kinda make the connection between Willie's disappearance and Barnabas' arrival but I had no idea whether Willie was still alive or not at that point.

Again, what an awesome episode! With the arrival of Barnabas the show reached a most exciting turning point.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 05:54:06 PM »
This is the episode that introduced me to my favorite character, and what a great episode it was.

I know I was completely taken in by Barnabas and can understand why Elizabeth and Vicki were too. He really knew how to turn on that gentlemanly charm.

I love that ending scene with Barnabas....he's happy to be out of the coffin,to be able to start a new life, yet he knows he faces an uncertain future in a world that has drastically changed since the 18th century. Jonathan was really brilliant in that scene.

Again, what an awesome episode! With the arrival of Barnabas the show reached a most exciting turning point.

Jonathan brought talent to the show in the way that it made everyone else act better and streach.  (No comment about Jonathan flubbing his lines.) TV was so much different than the theatre. You can just feel the tension.

Lori

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 05:54:58 PM »
David seems puzzled as to why nobody likes Willie or wants him around, gee I wonder why too other than the fact he [spoiler]harassed Vicki, Carolyn and Maggie, insulted Sam, pissed Burke off to the point Burke beat the snot out of him.[/spoiler]
Not having seen the previous episodes, I can't say for sure, but it would seem reasonable for the grown-ups not to tell David the details of what Willie had done.  There's a story in my family of a relative visiting Fall River as a child, and being told not to go near Lizzie Borden's house because Lizzie "wasn't very nice to her parents."

I have to admit I did kinda make the connection between Willie's disappearance and Barnabas' arrival but I had no idea whether Willie was still alive or not at that point.
This is one of the things I love about this week on Dark Shadows: the viewers were left hanging for nearly a week.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 06:26:21 PM »
Review:...
Sorry to quote so much with so little payoff or contribution from me, but I enjoyed this post.      I hope to go through more of this thread, and respond as eyes and/or brain permit.

I understand, MT, but I've edited the text for you.  The quote still links to the post you're complimenting so that readers can easily find and read it.

Actually, since we don't have infinite space on the server (nor do the mods have infinite time), edits in quotes by all cousins are much appreciated.