Author Topic: Quentin and brotherly love  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Angelique / contains Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2003, 07:41:42 AM »
I've got a question about Angelique in 1897.

First, she doesn't show up until the "incompetent dabbler" Evan Hanley summons her from....where ever she's been.  That seems to imply that she couldn't just "appear" in 1897 to help Barnabas, even though we can assume she ALWAYS knows what he's up to.  Which would in turn imply that she's answerable to 'someone' and not entirely free to do as she pleases.

I assume that Angelique spent the previous 100 years (since 1795, when she was burned by Ben Stokes) in hell, then was brought through the flames by Evan and Quentin.  She clearly has already lived through 1968 because we get clues in the 1897 story that this Angelique 1) knows David; 2) knows that Chris is a werewolf; and 3) admits to having been in 1968 previously; and 4) gets huffy when she's called "Cassandra".

However, all this will get screwed up once we get to 1840, but I digress.

Except that once she's IN 1897 she acts as though she's a free agent, can come and go (and create doppelgangers), help or not help, be cruel or kind, entirely to suit her own fancy.

And while I'm asking....WHAT exactly IS Angelique at this point?

A very powerful witch-- immortal, still obsessed with Barnabas, but smarter and wiser than she was as Cassandra.

In 1795 she was a living woman.  A living woman who practiced the occult arts, but a living woman never the less.  But what is she now?  A  ghost?  A reincarnation of herself?  A demon?  What?

Yes, she was human when we first met her in 1795, but do you remember when she was strangled by Barnabas and came back as a ghost to testify at Vicki's trial?  Somehow she made it to 1968 and became the witch Cassandra-- powerful but in some ways bumbling-- and was able to bring Nicholas down.  She appeared to Liz as Cassandra again, but at some point was delivered by her Master back to 1795, where she met up with Barnabas and begged him to stay in that time with her.  (They were supernatural, immortal beings, which seems to make that unlikely, but whatever.)  She was burned by Ben, then arrived in 1897 by way of Evan's incantation.  In other words, her timeline so far goes from 1795 to 1968 back to 1795 to 1897.

So, was that clear as mud? ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin and brotherly love
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2003, 08:01:26 AM »
I'm here, Midnite - and am a big Angelique fan...quite willing to be more vocal. Haven't said too much about her 'cos she doesn't seem like the most popular character on the board. [lghy]  I love her to death, but isn't she just a rotten broad?

My sentiment exactly!  And I'm thrilled to hear you're an Angelique fan too.  Please don't ever let a character's popularity at any given time dictate who you talk about.  You never know if a lurker might be inspired to join you.

Cassandra Blair's
This getting a little too off topic, I fear.  Whoops! [nerv]

Hee hee, yes... I wondered if I should start a new topic, but I decided our move was keeping me busy enough.  Oh well.  :)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2003, 08:12:13 PM »
Yes, Quentin was very, very bad.  But............

you have to remember that Quentin was beside himself, counting the days till the full moon and hating himself the next day.  He was desperate for anyone to help him.  Low and behold...it's Barnabas.  He probably figured out that he would get Carl eventually, so why not let Barnabas do it for him.  That way it's "out of his hands" legally that is, and besides, there was to much on his mind.

Besides, I have a brother, the only sibling I've got, and believe me, I'd shut that mausoleum door, and laugh if I knew my brother was in there.  That would show him!

So, inconclusive, Quentin was very, very bad.  He should have thought another way of keeping Carl quiet, (yeah, it's Collinsport, Maine for the love of God!).
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Angelique / contains Spoilers
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2003, 04:32:36 AM »

I assume that Angelique spent the previous 100 years (since 1795, when she was burned by Ben Stokes) in hell, then was brought through the flames by Evan and Quentin.  She clearly has already lived through 1968 because we get clues in the 1897 story that this Angelique 1) knows David; 2) knows that Chris is a werewolf; and 3) admits to having been in 1968 previously; and 4) gets huffy when she's called "Cassandra".

;)

And another important note, #5) When Julia comes from 1968 to 1897. . .Angelique recognizes her and asks how she is there?  Julia replies, "your here, Barnabas is here, is there any reason I should not be able to be here too?"

Sassy Julia. . my fave! Or is evil Julia in 1995?  I just love Julia with a 'tude. .  

Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2003, 06:06:16 AM »
I also find this to be one of the show's bad moves
killing Carl was not necesary to save anyone in the future they could have dealt with it in a different way
some of the people Barnabas has killed deserved it
but carl was harmless and not evil and this was so
cruel> i believe quentin was worse though and has
his blood on his hands even more than Barnabas.
i loved 1897 but this was a down side>
Angelique has her own ways which makes her unique!
llove to hate her but there were times one could even like her.
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Connie

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2003, 06:19:03 AM »
Julia replies, "your here, Barnabas is here, is there any reason I should not be able to be here too?"

YEAH!!!  Just give me Julia in Angelique's face!
(Especially with her jaw jutting out).

Original line before last minute change:
"...is there any reason I should not be able to be here too?"  (Julia mutters under her breath, "...bitch!")

;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2003, 08:36:56 AM »
And another important note, #5) When Julia comes from 1968 to 1897. . .Angelique recognizes her and asks how she is there?  Julia replies, "your here, Barnabas is here, is there any reason I should not be able to be here too?"

Thanks!  I forgot about that one.

Was it in that scene that Angelique tries to warn her away from Barnabas, calling him cold and I forget what else, and Julia snaps back with "Who made him that way?"  Meowch!!!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2003, 08:49:59 AM »
Sassy Julia. . my fave! Or is evil Julia in 1995?  I just love Julia with a 'tude...

Oh, me too!  I just love any episode that Julia's in.  She's the heart and soul of Dark Shadows for me, 'specially when she's pissed off or has a 'tude!  [lghy]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2003, 09:04:53 AM »
Was it in that scene that Angelique tries to warn her away from Barnabas, calling him cold and I forget what else, and Julia snaps back with "Who made him that way?"  Meowch!!!

A beatiful moment, wasn't it?  For some reason, I thought this happened in 1968, but they tell me my short term memory ain't what it used to be! ;)

And Midnite, thanks for what you said earlier about speaking up about whatever characters one prefers.  To me, DS character are like flavors of ice cream - everyone's got their personal faves and everyone's got a flavor or two they can do without...and so what!?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2003, 02:10:26 PM »
had Quentin and Barnabas discussed the need for Carl to keep this secret, it may not have been necessary to eliminate Carl.

I don't think this would work because Carl would undoubtly ask Quentin why he wanted to keep this secret and Quentin wouldn't be able to explain the real reason without giving himself away.  Carl is very inquisite and wouldn't stand for just any lame excuse. Also, the fact that he blames Barnabas for Pansy's death doesn't help matters much either.

I don't understand why Barnabas just couldn't make Carl forget the whole thing like he's done with others.

Perhaps if they had more time they could have come up with something to spare Carl,  but everything happened so fast. As soon as Carl got back to Collinwood he immediately spilled the beans to Trask who was probably the worst person he could have told this secret to.  There really was no other way to get around this for Quentin. Had he let Carl go free he knew very well he would blab the news all over Collinwood.  Edward was already suspicious of Barnabas so there's a good chance that he would believe him and not think he's totally off the wall.

What Quentin could have done would be to STAY there with Carl until Barnabas wakes up, explain everything to Barnabas and then ask Barn to make Carl forget the whole thing.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2003, 06:26:09 PM »
I agree cassandra they could have just locked him up and Barnabas could have done his thing. maybe put a spell on him telling him to return to NY(or wherever) and find a new chorus girl. then when Karlen left
it could be just mentioned and forgotten.Killing harmless Carl was just unexcusable in my book!

jennifer

and Annie one can love a cad(they can be Yummy too)
I LOVED Timothy Dalton as HeathCliff snd he did some pretty cruel things too.
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2003, 08:10:41 PM »

YEAH!!!  Just give me Julia in Angelique's face!
(Especially with her jaw jutting out).

Original line before last minute change:
"...is there any reason I should not be able to be here too?"  (Julia mutters under her breath, "...bitch!")

;D

OK - OK!!!, ROTFLMAO!  I am lovin' this!! even the wifey [who sez she merely tolerates the DS thing] will sit and watch when these two get a good cat fight going!  I love Angie and Jules apart, but together it great.  As for GH right now, too bad Magda is having to backpedal on the curse thing, and what happened to Sandor?
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2003, 12:04:57 AM »

what happened to Sandor?

Good question!!  (maybe King Johnny gave him a job)

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2003, 06:52:05 AM »

Thanks!  I forgot about that one.

hmm that's a good question . . . i was thinking it was '68 too but seems more logical for 1897. .. the scene i referrenced happens in the "Rectory" where Julia is hiding?  I didn't get why she had to hide .. .other than quick makeup changes into Magda WERE NOT possible.  . . wait wait .. i guess its because the B-man was known to be a vampire. . .and anyone who was his friend wasn't safe OR was it 'cuz Edward seemed waaaay too interested in the mute visitor in short short skirt?  (let's all sing the NAIR song now.. .) Who's got short skirts. . .Julia from 1968's got short skirts . ..(not the shortest we see but hey .damn short for pre-1900 Maine!) ..
Julia99

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2003, 04:23:58 AM »
jennifer wrote:
it could be just mentioned and forgotten.Killing harmless Carl was just unexcusable in my book!

I'm not too sure that Barnabas would've been successful in making Carl forget what he knew.  Carl was very unstable and given to extreme emotional outbursts.  Barnabas's first motivation is for self-survival at all costs and unfortunately Carl was a major threat to that.

As far as Angelique goes:  Wow! Wait to we get to 1970 PT.  She's terrific as Angelique and her twin sister Alexis.  I think Angelique was one of the main characters on the show and things sizzled when she was on. Especially in scenes with Barnabas.  She didn't quite have the same sizzle with Quentin and I think that's only because he was used and discarded so easily by her.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf